What the hell gives?

1. I am trying to lose some weight and I suck so bad at dieting, so I thought I should start with walking and see if that motivated me once the weight would start to shed. I THOUGHT that walking everyday would help me lose a bit.....NOPE!

I walk about 5 miles/5 days a week and have been doing so for almost 3 months and have seen NO improvement at all. No weightloss, no toning, nothing. I am getting discouraged and it really is just making me mad.

I would love to lose about 30-40 pounds.

Is there a reason why all this walking is not doing a darn thing?

2. Are you walking 5 miles a day, 5 days a week for 25 miles per week total?

Or 1 mile a day, 5 days a week, for 5 miles per week?

If it's the former, you might be compensating for energy expenditure with increased calorie intake.

If it's the latter, try going a little further every day :yes:

3. Wow, if you're actually saying you are walking 25 miles a week with NO sign of improvement...well, heck, I'd be mad too!!! I'm sure that your body must be benefiting from the exercise even if you don't see obvious results, though.

4. Figuring that at 2 mph, you might burn 250+ calories in 5 miles, that equate to 1250 extra calories burned per week, however it takes 3500 calories burned to loose a single pound :push:

So event at 25 mi/week, it could take you 3 weeks to loose one pound if you didn't change your diet at all. :shrugs:

5. I am actually walking 5-7 miles a day. I took a part time job that requires me to walk 5-7 miles daily for this reason. I wanted to be forced to walk since I am sooo unmotivated and lazy when it comes to exercise. I try to walk briskly always and keep a steady pace. I also go uphill a lot.

Maybe I need to try to change my eating habits so that I can see some results? I just suck so bad at dieting.....:s

6. You have to change your eating habits. You didnt gain all this weight by just not doing anything- you had to supply your body with this excess.

Start small- get rid of soda, high sugared juices, and cut down on alcohol if you drink it. Its easy to 'drink your calories'. Up your water intake.

Cut back on oils, and fat. Skip the bread at dinner. Increase your vegetable intake- cut down on meat (obv if you are a vegetarian this doesnt apply to you)

Leave a little bit on your plate everyday- you'd be surprised how many calories you cut out every year by not having those last three bites.

Make conscious decisions- sorbet instead of ice cream. Granola bars instead of snickers bars.

But most of all. consult your physician. Get on a weight loss plan and stick with it.

I gained 23lbs last holiday :sad: Since January I have lost 18lbs. I weigh myself every morning after I go potty (sry tmi) and I have a weight loss buddy. Its almost like being in AA- we call each other when we are faced with tough decisions. I see my doc once a month and we monitor not only my weight loss but my muscle mass.

hope I helped!

all that matters is that YOU CAN DO IT!!!

7. If after all that walking you haven't lost any weight then your food intake needs to be evaluated probably with the help of your doctor/dietitian. BTW I suck at dieting too :tdown:

8. Yeah, it sounds like calorie reduction is going to help you the most here.

You are undoubtedly doing your body good with the walks, but it does take a 3500 calorie deficit to loose a pound.

I work out 5x a week, 45 min of hard aerobic works each time, and I am just maintaining my weight. I'd love to loose 5 lbs, but it's sooo hard to cut calories :sweatdrop:

Good luck :flowers:

9. rg...what are your eating habits like currently? Do you see room for improvement? I am the same way with dieting...terrible at it and I tend to get really resentful at having to limit myself on the types of food I can eat. Maybe we can help each other?!? I eat way too much sugar and don't eat a whole lot of fruits & veggies.

10. ^^
    That's a good idea on helping each other fiat. I am not good with dieting as well. I have said it many times that I suck at dieting and can't control what I want to eat. My weight can yo-yoed up and down real easy though. I am at my fattest at 60 kgs and my thinnest at 42 kgs.. right now I am 45-46 kgs, but would like to be 43 kgs.

So, it takes 3500 calories burned to loose a single pound? WOWZA! Very discouraging, LOL!

11. Lets go for it! I would love a partner to help me stay on track. I need to start eating more fruits, veggies and whole grains...and LESS fast food and sugars:s:shame: I also need to stop drinking Diet Coke and Red Bull (sugarless ones, but still BAD). I really really want to lose the weight, but I just cannot motivate myself to stick with it. It is so bad. I just need someone to help push me. I have my wedding vow renewals in the Caribbean next August and I want to look gorgeous..these pounds have GOT to go!

12. Start small, you don't have to eliminate all the bad things at once. Try cutting out one or two things a week, and replacing it with something beneficial. A fast food grilled chicken sandwich as opposed to a burger. Water for diet coke and red bull. Small changes add up to big ones over time. :smile:

13. :yes: exactly. the very first time I ever lost weight, I did it by drinking water instead of diet coke, having only one full plate at every meal instead of two, and only eating one dessert per day instead of at every meal. the weight came off and it didn't feel like so much of a sacrifice and struggle as all my subsequent, more restrictive diets have been.

14. What do you typically eat? It is very important to handle your eating as much as your exercise- they go hand in hand :yes:

15. i am horrible at dieting also!

i was working out 4-5 times a week, doing about 5 miles on the elliptical at a pretty fast pace/resistance, and i still wasn't losing any weight. your body only needs a certain amount of calories in order to maintain its weight so if you're eating more than that, you'll gain weight regardless of how much you work out.

for example, if your body needs only 1500 calories to maintain its weight and you burn 300 calories working out, you still need to eat less than 1800 calories to lose any weight. you just might be eating a lot more than your body needs.

just try to limit yourself to about 1500 calories day but not worry too much abut what you eat. it's too difficult for me to actually cut out certain foods, etc. it just makes me want them more!

good luck!