What is your favorite flower?

Gardenias! When I was growing up and living with my parents there was a row of gardenia bushes right outside my bedroom window. During warmer nights I would open the window and fall asleep to the scent. Always brings back good memories.

I like roses (especially the puffy, old-fashioned ones), hydrangeas, rhodedenrons (sp?), and irises, but my favorite are lilacs. Such a heavenly smell!

Van! These are all my favorites too! My dad always grew the best flowers! I have lilacs on my kitchen table now! I love hydrangeas, peonies, yellow roses and magnolias too!

I have to say the rose. Never in all my wildest dreams did I ever imagine I would live in a rose garden, but thanks to Mr Puff, whose love for roses - and their love for him - has forged a veritable Rose Garden of Eden on the sprawling several square yard grounds of Puff Palace. There are right around three dozen of them, on something like .06 acre. Our home just might be the site of the World's Greatest Rose Density.

We have everything from the lavenders like Angel Face, and its mother Heirloom, Sterling Silver and her showy daughter Blue Girl to fat and fragrant pale mango-colored English roses - Abraham Darby, Teasing Georgia, Just Joey, delicate and creamy French Lace, flamboyant coral colored America and romantic scarlet Don Juan climb white trellises and creep onto the front porch, just about to kiss a little Joseph's coat sitting pertly in a pot, turning from peach to pink, and Golden Showers entwine with tiny Romeo in the 4 columned arched bower he has sculpted in the back.

My favorites are the old Damascenas, the fuschia colored ones are the same used to make Bulgarian rose attar, and the fragrance of these will literally make you dizzy! And stately old Madame Plantier - my proud accomplishment and contribution has been to train her - well, more like let her - climb a tall crepe myrtle.

Although she blooms just once a year, it is worth waiting for. We have a book that describes Mme Plantier as a "white fragrant cloud of blossoms," and that is exactly what it is! Then the rest of the year, it looks like the crepe myrtle is very fat, with lots of extra leaves, among which it blooms happily and pinkly.

The ones Mr Puff loves best are the deep dark red ones - Oklahoma, Mister Lincoln, Christian Dior, Ingrid Bergman, all huge and velvety and red!

I can't name them all, I won't try, even Mr Puff has a notebook where he keeps a record of just what is where, and if one fails to thrive, he moves it, and details all that in his notebook.

I like to tell people that he does not bring me roses, he GROWS me roses!:love:

Besides roses, I also love stargazer lilies, I think, if those are the ones that make the whole room smell heavenly for days. Peonies are beautiful, but the prospect of growing them intimidates me. Jasmine is another favorite, as is anything blue, there are really not enough blue flowers on this planet, and in my opinion, it is high time that something was done about it!:rant:

Love Lizzies, so gorgeous, like roses, but much sleeker and no thorns..especially love these purple ones mixed with white lilies:heart:

images.jpg