What is the best way to ship internationally?

1. I've never shipped outside of the U.S., so I don't really know how this works. Does customs charge a fee? My buyer's from Australia. I want to ship it to her in the cheapest way possible, so she doesn't feel like she's getting ripped off but at the same time I want to make sure everything's insured and tracked. Any advice would be wonderful..TIA!!!

P.S. I'm sending a small leather jacket, so I'm guessing the total weight would be somewhere between 1-3lbs.
  2. If the package value including postage exceeds AUD$1000 then the buyer will have to pay Customs fees prior to delivery, Customs will assess the item when it arrives in Australia.
  3. The best way to sent is via Express mail, it may be around $45 to ship but it will arrive fast. Also if I'm not mistaken it's insured uip to $100.
  4. Send it Express, not Priority. Express is the only way you can get tracking.
  5. I have received packages both via USPS Global Express and USPS Priority International and they both take about the same time to get to Australia. From what i understand, express is significantly more expensive, so unless the item was expensive (and required tracking), I dont mind paying less for shipping and recieving it via USPS Priority International.
  6. From a seller's point of view, though, she is required to provide tracking, regardless of the value of the item. Otherwise if she has a dishonest buyer who claims she didn't receive the item, the seller is out of luck and will lose a claim if one is placed against her.
  7. ^^^

Agreed never send a parcel without tracking, no way of proving delivery/receipt/non receipt otherwise!
  8. Thank you SO much everybody!! Love the advice. Ok, so I've decided to ship via Express Mail International (Global Express is $20 more). Shipping will be around $30, but I get free $100 insurance and tracking. And since shipping is under AUD$1000, my buyer won't have to worry about customs fees.

Does that sound right?
  9. Not sure if she have to pay fees. I think she don't pay only if you mark as a gift.
  10. This is taken from the Aust Customs website - so it doesn't necessarily have to be marked as a gift.

"All goods (except for tobacco products and alcoholic beverages) may be imported duty and tax free if their value is $1,000 or less.

Note: However, where there are multiple packages to the same addressee in Australia from a single consignor overseas that arrive at about the same time, then the value of all packages will be combined for duty and tax assessment purposes"
  11. Even if it's marked as a gift,if the value is over a certain amount,custom still has to be paid.
    I prefer Express mail though 'cause it's much faster than priority..and like everyone else said,tracking is also provided.
  12. I've always used signature confirmation, (delivery confirmation if item is inexpensive) is that still a bad idea? I'm considering shipping internationally, but undecided.
  13. I use USPS Express International. It is very reasonable and you can insure and have label printed at home and picked up by your PO carrier.
  14. I have used a parcel forwarding service in the past called shipito.com. They were great; charged me resonably lower than their competitiors. They ship anywhere in the world. Hope this helps!