What is Monogram/Damier Canvas made of?

If it makes anyone feel better, I believe monogram canvas is actually made out of treated/coated Egyptian cotton. I personally couldn't care less as I love my speedy, esp. the fact that I can carry it in the rain :biggrin:

I first heard about it from my hubby who said, "you paid that much for viny?". I've always known it it is some kind of "coated fabric", anyway, it does not bother me at all, to me it is LV, hooray !

>>>>>>My hubby was very unimpressed when he touched my LV and commented it was made of vinyl, given how expensive it was<<<<<.

No,no, no.:biggrin: It is not made out of vinyl. Like many have stated it is "TREATED COTTON CANVAS", treated being the operative word -vinyl for it's protection.:love:

Most Vinyls are backed with canvas or a similar fabric...

LV always said that their "coated canvas" was somehow better than PVC or something... saying it was injected with something or other.. I dunno.

I know that when I buy LV bags I am paying a premium for the brand name. The material itself...whether it be vinyl, canvas, or both costs LV pennies, I'm sure. Even the craftsmanship isn't worth what they charge. However, it doesn't bother me because I love LV. I never tire of my LV bags like I do with other brands. So, costwise, I can justify spending the money.

Also, the canvas does fade. Despite having taken great care of my 8 year old wallet, the monograms have faded.

After having gotten my first LV, I can say with great certainty that LV canvas is in no way like the PVC or vinyl that you find on cheap discount store purses. My mom has a PVC bag she got from Kohl's that she just uses as an everyday "thow around" bag. That purse stinks of plastic! If you take a nice, long sniff of an LV product, you will realize that LV products smell absolutely wonderful! My mono wallet smells mostly like leather. The canvas doesn't really give off any scent at all. Fake LV, on the other had, usually reeks of plastic odor.

jasanna143 said:
Holy Batman! Is it from all the rubbing the wallet is going through in your purse??? :blink:
I never even though of that. That might be part of the reason, but the fading is even throughout. If it were rubbing in my purse, I would think some spots would be more faded than others. Here's a pic of my 8 year old wallet compared to my fiance's wallet for comparison. I bought his wallet for him this past Christmas.

469042.jpeg

meemos said:
I never even though of that. That might be part of the reason, but the fading is even throughout. If it were rubbing in my purse, I would think some spots would be more faded than others. Here's a pic of my 8 year old wallet compared to my fiance's wallet for comparison. I bought his wallet for him this past Christmas.

469042.jpeg

For something that you've used daily for 8 years, it actually looks really good, IMO!

I have heard of it, but thought it was no biggie because of the gorgeous and supple surrounding leather at the base (of some bags) and handles. Plus, the interior linings can't be beat.

I LOVE my black mc alma, vinyl and all. :nuts: