what is it what is it what is it

I've wondered the same thing--How can so many women on this forum look perfect with a birkin or kelly, and I end up looking like I just mugged some rich woman? Baffles the heck out of me.

:roflmfao::roflmfao::roflmfao:

Me, too! Sometimes (actually, most of the time) I feel like a sort of not-too-haphazardly dressed person with an astounding bag. You know, unworthy.

oh rose, yes, every h bag doesn't suit everyone. i meant if someone plays is safe with a bag that is close to perfect, it will look good on her, but how do we get the winning combination.

fesdu look, look what maggieD wrote about you. so sweet! and i am terribly curious to know which bolide will suit me perfectly.
love what maggieD wrote on page 1 - 'maybe what i like and what likes me aren't the same.'
i think i would rather find the purse that likes me, rather than limit myself to choosing a purse based on my hang-ups.
lol so who is the authority on determining when it's a winner. seems we all have similarly strong feelings about certain posters and certain bags (careful - bad road to go down naming the really "wow" great matches - that road is paved with people's feelings you know). unless of course someone cares to contradict that and say that shoes looks like crap with that bolide ROFLMAO (shoes, i only make this joke because i hope deeply that you know i'm kidding!!!)

thank you HH for showing Maggie D's kind words! :heart:
and these wise words remind me not to narrow the specs of my next purchase to the very very specific. because that particular bag may not like me. ;)

^^^fesdu, I just call it like I see it. (I also appreciate HH pointing out the slippery slope of naming names of "perfect matches". ) I definitely need to remember your words above--as well as my own earlier words--because I have also set out very stringent requirements for what I want in my next Hermes bag and indeed, since they aren't anything at all like the turquoise Lindy, that bag really may not like me. Maybe that's why so many SO are turned down in the end. Truly thought provoking thread, HH.

Oh... Tangle and her Bolide!!!!!! How 'right' that is!!

Awwww, thanks Rose :flowers::flowers:

I was thinking that, like clothes, it's all about proportion and line. Besides giving a bag a personality (and they do seem to have personalities, as crazy as that sounds), the color and leather can really impact the appearance of the size and even of the structure of a bag, which I think really plays into how it suits a person.

gina_b's square/rectangular comment really got me thinking--I never realized it before but all my bags are curved (Bolide, LV papillon, LV bucket). In my case, maybe it's a way to introduce curves into my otherwise distinctly un-curvy frame :P

HiHeels,
What I do to find what kelly or birkin looks best on me (I know already that I like more structured, tailored looks) is go to everywhere I know that carries H, and I try them on in the mirror to see if I get that ding ding feeling or not. It usually hits me right off the bat, or it doesn't. I think your hair and skin coloring combo will determine what leather color will look best on you - hardware is a tossup and personal preference, and size will have to do with your height/weight proportion and what look you're going for, i.e. day vs. night.

Don't worry, when you see your perfect bag you'll know it. But until then, don't be afraid to try ones on you might ordinarily pass up. You never know! You might fall in love with the way it looks on you. Best wishes.

I agree with Tangle about proportion and line (and btw, you really looked great with your Bolide, and I say this as someone who does not even like the Bolide. Yours was the picture that made me think that bag can look good on someone.)
Personality of the bag? I think this is true only when you truly know the person. If it's a reaction to a picture of someone with a bag, it's mostly a visual thing. When I see a picture of someone on tpf carrying an H bag, my first thought isn't so much about personality of the person and personality of the bag. I only begin to get a little into the personality thing when I have seen enough pictures of the person with several bags so that I already have a sense of, e.g., Shopmom and her elegant neutral box or croc bags. But still, even in that case it is still mostly about line and proportion for me.

i think it boils down to whether or not the bag "sings" to the owner. and i'm not talking about the first purchase but every subsequent wear. as long as there's chemistry, the owner will glow w/ satisfaction! ultimately, that's what makes the bags look right on the person.

Dear Ms. HH:

There is NOT a single picture I've seen the ladies here posted that is NOT with their proportion to their Hbags!!!!!!!

Everyone looks too good which make me feel intimidated about my wt. issue...

Some ladies look graceful/elegant and some look charming/cute... (sigh)

Wish I was 30 lb. thinner and 10 years younger....

Morgan

I think it's the overall look. It also helps knowing more about the person and if their personality kind of shows with their bag or wardrobe. I also think that the clothes lifestyle of the person can also reflect on how the bag looks like.

so a few people have proposed that everything clicks when the bag is the missing link, completes the look, takes it over the edge.
tangle - i hear you on the adding curves part. LOL
there have been threads about guessing one's astrological sign based on your favorite leather, and that was really telling. what's interesting there is that we were working backwards - figuring out from the leather we preferred, what our type/personality was. since bags are a matter of style/appearance, i wonder if we could hit on a formula of sorts if we were able to pinpoint our style and then pick a bag that matches it. that would at least satisfy the 'missing link' achievement of it as accessory. we've had threads that talked about lifestyle to determine a good match with a style and size. but there is still something likely intangible (imo) to explain why there is such a thing as an especially perfect combo. would shoes have looked as "ding ding ding" with a bolide with all the same specs, but in clemence? or croc (lucky for her, lol, i don't think so).

i definitely do what fesdu touched on, narrowing my specs, a product of my comforts/zodiac/personality, lol. i don't want to do that. *SIGH*