What is considered dressed up where you live?

People never seem to understand that a dress is the easiest thing in the world to wear. But I guess a lot of people wear pants now so dresses seem dressy?

^this.

I find dresses comfy, easy, and classic- they're my go-to for work. I don't get why a lot of people think they require effort?

I don't think there's a difference between europe & the US. I live in South Florida, & that's exactly the cross section of fashion we have here...just add tourists or snowbirds in beach cover-ups or just a bathing suit with no cover-up at all (when not on the beach) :wtf:

You forgot to add sunburned

I find living in Miami people wear very little because its so damn hot here

^this.

I find dresses comfy, easy, and classic- they're my go-to for work. I don't get why a lot of people think they require effort?

I dunno either. The only thing I find that adds extra effort for me is shaving my legs before wearing a dress in warm weather and figuring out cute, comfortable shoes to wear if I know I will be doing a lot of standing or walking at work. Maybe details like that make it seem less easy than jeans? Or just since they do look nice, people assume they are expensive and it's part of a mental block of not wearing them? I'm scraping the barrel here.

I dunno either. The only thing I find that adds extra effort for me is shaving my legs before wearing a dress in warm weather and figuring out cute, comfortable shoes to wear if I know I will be doing a lot of standing or walking at work. Maybe details like that make it seem less easy than jeans? Or just since they do look nice, people assume they are expensive and it's part of a mental block of not wearing them? I'm scraping the barrel here.

Ha, totally agree! you're right - maybe the fact that they look expensive/fancy make people assume that it requires more effort. ;)

^this.

I'm in my late 20s but have a bad knee. Shaving is a massive chore for me. I've had several surgeries, and I've gotten some not-so-nice comments from family and others on the scars. Combining those two aspects, I hardly ever wear dresses and I don't think I own a single skirt anymore. Still, I do own some and love them as well, but only wear them for 'events'. I try to find maxis that'll work on shorter gals like myself, or wear black tights if the dress permits.

At the same time, our winter lasts about 7 months out of the year, and dress weather is really only about 4 of those remaining months!

When I visit friends from other (warmer!) areas, I don't think they look 'dressed up' in dresses so much as I think they look lovely in them. (´▽`) Dresses have an easy elegance.

I will say that the one time I wore a sweaterdress to work at my old job in NYC, my teammates did a double-take and gave me worried looks, hahaha.

People never seem to understand that a dress is the easiest thing in the
world to wear.

During warm weather months for me it's quicker and easier and quick pull on a sundress or maxi as casual wear. Aside from the beach I gave up on shorts and capris long ago because of how ill fitting most of them are. They crotch can droop or pucker or wedge all up in there. Capris land on a wonky part of the leg. A too big t-shirt can make you look like a tent. Too small shows all the lumps and rolls.

I wear colorful havaianas with my dresses...very comfy :biggrin: (I took away another excuse :P)

During warm weather months for me it's quicker and easier and quick pull on a sundress or maxi as casual wear. Aside from the beach I gave up on shorts and capris long ago because of how ill fitting most of them are. They crotch can droop or pucker or wedge all up in there. Capris land on a wonky part of the leg. A too big t-shirt can make you look like a tent. Too small shows all the lumps and rolls.

Not to mention it's hard to find a decent length. It seems all I find are too short shorts or knee length shorts.Not a lot of in between.

Where I live it doesn't seem that dressed up/down matters as much as being trendy. It's all about hipster smart casual...and being in...or out.
I think I've become more dressed up than average but just a trench coat, black denim, a nice top and leather shoes is enough to put you in the "stylish/smart" category.
Anything that's out of the ill fitted jeans and wind breaker combination and you re good.

Ladies, do you have a good answer for the "wow are you going somewhere/why are you so dressed up" etc. that we experience? :idea: I can't seem to find anything to say so I often start making excuses :wacko:

I am not dressed up. I am setting a trend, I hope it catches on :biggrin:

I wear a dress/skirt almost anytime I leave the house. I use to get those questions all the time. At the synagogue I attend jeans were the norm for 80% of the people minus those in shorts. I dress with respect for myself and my surroundings. After about a year of me dressing this way always getting compliments I noticed so many more of the women are wearing dresses and skirts as well and the men have mostly gone from wearing jeans to nice dress pants with a button down shirt.

Last edited:
I live in Hippieton Oregon (Eugene) so anything other than jeans and a tee shirt is dressed up!

I had a summer dress on (it's been kind of hot) the other day, no makeup, hair in a pony tail and no shoes, answered the door for the FedEx guy and he said, "Oh good I caught you before you went out." I said, "What makes you think I was heading out?" He replied, "Well you are all dressed up."

SMH

This is so true for Eugene lol. I went to UofO for several years.

Back to the OP. I now live in Fort Worth, TX. A nice top, jeans and high heels would be considered dressed up. Or a summer dress with jewelry. Most women around this area wear tess and shorts with sandals and flip flops in the summer. Sweaters, skinny jeans and riding boots in the fall and winter.

Got a comment today from a coworker: "Going to an event?!" I said very cheerfully, "Life is an event!" She changed her attitude and agreed with me. I heard someone on TPF use that and it worked like a charm!