what internship should I take?

1. Hi everybody!
    I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this question, but I've just been offered two summer jobs and I have no idea which one to take. I'm currently an economics major and am not too sure about what I would like to do with life. I've entertained upon the idea of working at a global investment bank, a hedge fund, consulting, or working in Sales and Trading. (Basically everything). So judging upon opportunities opened for post-graduation, quality of life, possible experiences gained, etc. etc.. which one would you chose? :shrugs:

No 1) is an internship with a boutique investment bank all the way over in San Francisco. I'll get about $1000 a month as housing compensation.

No 2) is a research internship in NYC with a fixed-income sales/trading/research firm. It's unpaid, but I will be in contact with firms in China/Taiwan and there may involve a business trip over to Taiwan at the end of the summer.

It'd really help if anyone has any other insights for finance career paths and other sorts!

2. I think I would go with the 2nd one as that would give you more credibility on a résumé, and you would probably get more connections.
    good luck!
  3. If I had to choose, I would definitely choose the second one. I think it will have the opportunity to network and lead to even more opportunities on a international basis. Asia's market is booming right now. It would be a great experience imo.
  4. I would go with the second one.

I just finished an internship last week...it was an amazing experience and helped land me my new job :smile:
  5. second one if you can find housing in NYC
  6. thanks guys for all your input!!

I would have taken the NY one too but its just that as a student, trying to live in NY without any form of compensation/ or stipend for an entire summer would be a little miserable.

oh and purplekitty, you were saying how the second one would look more credible on my resume. Is this because one has an international aspect and the other doesn't? How about in terms of getting a job at a larger investment bank after graduation? Would the second one still be useful?
  7. Hi, I am a Finance & investments major with minor in economics. i just got an internship too. if money isn't a huge deal, i would probably go for the second one especially if the company is more well known. it definitely helps in the future when people know where you came from. also, you can try to get another part time job in NYC during your internship for extra cash. it may be hard since its the summer but there's always jobs in retail if your desperate. but i think in the end you should pick the internship with the best opportunities for yourself. good luck!