What exactly makes a brand designer?

1. I've always wondered...besides price, what is the difference between, say, Gucci and some Target brand? I'm not saying that buying designer clothes is pointless, because I love designer stuff and I don't really get it when people say its stupid, but does anyone know how something gains "designer" status?
  2. Their long history of the brand and definitely its longevity, craftsmanship, and durability. It stands the test of time.
  3. I consider a brand designer if they actually have a couture collection (or "private label" type of deal... Burberry Prorsum or Ralph Lauren Collection for example). Anything else is just high-end to me.
  4. i'd say that a single design point of view is important. i can't look at a t-shirt and tell you it's from the gap without looking at the label, but i can look at a designer bag or dress that i've never seen before and, based on its elements, probably guess what brand it is.
  5. I agree that a long history of durability and a strong following of people can make a brand "designer". I always tend to associate price with designer too (the pricier, the more likely to be designer). Designer items tend to have an element of exclusivity (like not everyone can afford it). Other than that, designer items are just about MARKETING.
  6. I've always gone with IntlSet's point of view, but now that I'm reading the rest of the comments I have to wonder where that leaves brands like Coach and Mulberry, who are both undoubtedly luxury brands with singular styles that are easily identifiable, but are they designer?
  7. There was an earlier thread about whether or not Coach was a "designer" brand. Everyone agreed it was part of the whole "luxury" group...but there seemed to be some controversy over what designer really meant.

Around here most people I know tend to use it to mean "expensive" and apply it to ALL high end brands -- Seven for all Mankind, for example, as well as Gucci, Fendi, etc. But I don't really think that is correct.
  8. I think Coach is designer, but more on the lowend designer. What do you guys think of Juicy couture. It has couture in its collection. However, their handbags and accessories are not as expensive as other premium designers.
  9. Designer brands IMO are just that- brands that are associated with a designer. I think then one can further classify those brands into luxury, high end, low end, etc. As we all know Luella Bartley has 'designer' goods now in Target-- definitely a designer brand- but inexpensive line.
  10. Ah, alright, sparkle67's description makes sense to me, along with all the others.
  11. i agree. i think this is the most important point in identifying designer. unified design points and unified marketing strategy. price point also helps. :smile:
  12. Great question! I'd say it's got a lot to do with marketing, as mentioned earlier.
  13. I think a lot of people prefer to say "designer" because it sounds kind of snooty to say you prefer "high-end" or "luxury" products. Designer, in this context, becomes almost a euphemism for expensive...