What dog would be best suited for apartment life?

kathyrose said:
I'd go with the smaller breeds like Pomeranians or Chihuahuas. Maybe even Scotties or Westies.

Our Westie is (and was) too hyper for the apartment. She's even too hyper for the three bedroom house we have now! I wouldn't recommend them for small spaces.

I have three chihuahuas, and although they're a great size for apartments, and can be litter-trained, you have to take into consideration that most chihuahuas are also barkers. I lived in an apartment for 6 months, and the poor guy who lived above me worked night shift, and had to listen to my dogs barking all day long!! You don't want neighbors complaining to your landlord.:shame:

My puggies are small and littertrained. My hubby and I hope to buy a loft soon and took that into consideration when we got the second one. The oldest one barks,the littlest is as quiet as can be-just depends on their personality. They can't get too hot or cold,so being inside is good for them.They do shed a bit though. As need to be cared for properly-I agree,try to do a ton of research,that is what I did to find the breed which best suits us.

I have a Maltese, and they are great for apt. living. She likes to lounge around on the couch with me and she's generally a good sweet pup.
They can get all excercise indoors and aren't big yappers. They can be litter or puppy pad trained, although mine goes outside.

The first one is Coconut sleeping with her toy, and no, i didn't pose her. lol
The 2nd is of me and my babe!

She's only 7 lbs. and a great great pup! She's my best doggie friend ever.

Attachments

• coco_and_monster.jpg
    coco_and_monster.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 34
  • me_and_coco.jpg
    me_and_coco.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 41
Greyhouds would be your best bet for apartment living. I had one and a few of my friends have them also. They are the most gentle, kind, mellow dogs. Keep in mind they are companion dogs - not watch dogs and rarely bark. It is true that they lay around all day and only need to go outside for exercise for about 10-15 minutes AT THE MOST! They are raced or trained twice a week so they are not on any type of grueling schedule. I love to walk and my greyhound would literally lie down on the street after about 15 minutes.

If you would like any more information feel free to send me a message. I know a lot about greyhounds and can give you many tips. She was my absolute favorite dog ever. I still miss her and plan on getting another as soon as my kids are off to school.

Good luck with your decision! I am happy that you are looking for the right dog for your lifestyle. Most people pick a dog breed they like and then never think about what the dogs really need. Dogs that are hunting or herding dogs need a ton of exercise and unfortunately most people aren't willing to do it.

nextnewface said:
Surprisingly, I heard greyhounds are really great appartment dogs... they love to sleep on the couch or in their baskets/beds and they make great companions. :flowers: There are a lot of nonprofit organizations that rescue them from race tracks and make them available for adoption. You could make a nice new friend and save a life, too :biggrin:
You are ABSOLUTELY correct. Grey hounds are some of the sweetest, best tempered dogs ever. And this is coming from a committed Siberian Husky person.

Grey hounds need to be rescued. And they hardly need any exercise. They are mellow and like to sleep. They need less room than a Jack Russell (who are super hyper and need lots of exercise).

The ONLY thing you have to watch for is that you can never, ever let them off leash. They will chase anything and not come back. Huskies are the same. Ours are never allowed off leash anywhere except our yard and even then only while we're with them and for a few seconds/minutes.

Rescuing a dog is SUCH an amazing and rewarding experience. I love our pure bred but adopting our second was so wonderful. Good luck and post pics when you get a new addition. :smile:

jennifleur said:
I have a Maltese, and they are great for apt. living. She likes to lounge around on the couch with me and she's generally a good sweet pup.
They can get all excercise indoors and aren't big yappers. They can be litter or puppy pad trained, although mine goes outside.

The first one is Coconut sleeping with her toy, and no, i didn't pose her. lol
The 2nd is of me and my babe!

She's only 7 lbs. and a great great pup! She's my best doggie friend ever.

That first picture is hilarious! My husband has promised me that someday I can get a small dog. We have two large (50lbs+) Siberians now and are going to get a Malamute at the end of the year. But one of these days ... I want a lap dog! Your baby is adorable!!!

Casto Creations,

You are so correct about the leash. I forgot to mention it. However, ours had gotten out the door a few times but only managed to run 1/4 of a mile and then stop. That is what they typically are trained for so they don't run and run. But you don't want to take the chance of them getting hit by a car.

So glad to see another greyhound lover. They are the sweetest dogs ever! And I currently have a yellow lab. I love her too but she is a completely different dog than my greyhound. Greyhounds are true companions.:heart:

CastoCreations said:
Grey hounds need to be rescued. And they hardly need any exercise. They are mellow and like to sleep. They need less room than a Jack Russell (who are super hyper and need lots of exercise).

Megan, please excuse my butting in, but for those who may not be aware, there's a website

http://www.craftersforcritters.com

where you can buy hand-made products (bags, stationery, jewelry, etc) donated by indie designers and the proceeds are given to different rescues. In the current round (ending August) one of the beneficiaries is

http://www.greyhoundadoptionofoh.org/

http://www.craftersforcritters.com/info.html
for more info

passerby said:
Megan, please excuse my butting in, but for those who may not be aware, there's a website

http://www.craftersforcritters.com

where you can buy hand-made products (bags, stationery, jewelry, etc) donated by indie designers and the proceeds are given to different rescues. In the current round (ending August) one of the beneficiaries is

http://www.greyhoundadoptionofoh.org/

http://www.craftersforcritters.com/info.html
for more info

Thanks for those websites, passerby! And we always LOVE it when you butt in!

I'm going to consider adopting a greyhound when I figure out my apartment situation. Hopefully my kitty won't mind!

shopmom411 said:
Only problem with a small/tiny dog in my experience is that they tend to be yappy. In an apartment, that might be problematic.

Also the reason I'd recommend a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. They are mellow dogs, need minimal exercise, and are not yappy.

Pugs and French Bulldogs are not yappy or hyper. Great apartment dogs - your neighbors will never complain about barking.

Lots of areas have a Pug Rescue group. Check around.

Only warning:
Because of the smashed breatheways, they overheat easily so don't get one unless you can keep it cool. Moderate climate or air conditioned apartments in warmer climates.