What does it take to work at Sephora?

I work at a Sephora now and it's the best job ever! It's a lot of fun and you get to learn a lot. Some retail experience and makeup experience is preferred, even if its just researching and watching youtube tutorials. The whole no accessories thing doesn't exist...at least not at my store. We always have fun hair accessories and jewelry on. It's a great job with a great pay rate :smile:

^^^ Those rules seem somewhat silly, considering we're dealing with a beauty store. I have always though of beauty as a form of self-expression, and you would think the store would want a diverse array of beauty types. Wanting everyone to look the same seems contrary to whole concept of beauty. I could see having a few limitations, but those seem excessive. It's also funny considering all the wild makeup looks Sephora puts in their mailers and on their website.
I have gotten my cosmetology license and I know what its like to work in a salon since I am just 21. I know it seems like too much, but it is about being professional and looking professional. If they allowed anyone to wear whatever they wanted, they wouldn't be setting a good example to their clients. Stylists and make up artists are supposed to be clean and made up for a reason. It is not about blending in, it is about being professional.

i'm really eager myself to apply for sephora. can anyone tell me how one can move up to become a skin advisor? i'm a skincare freak and i've tried a ton of products from sephora. would it also help that i'm a sephora VIB rouge (their new VIB tier where you need to spend at least $1000 in products... i was kind of gobsmacked when I was told about this).

As for my experience, I've had health care, freelancing, and non-profit organization internship experience. I'm extremely fanatical about makeup, however, and it's actually because I'm a freelance writer that has led me to change my path towards makeup (writing about beauty, testing out products, and reviewing products makes me want to help out other people!).