What does "FOB" mean?

1. Ive been looking up Coach keychains/key rings and I see FOB next to some of them.. can anyone tell me what FOB means.. thanks :heart:

2. FOB = Freight out bound

or

Key Fob ??

3. I don't know either. Hopefully someone can clear that up.

4. hmmm freight out bound?

5. Found this on a site called "webopedia":

"...The word fob is believed to have originated from watch fobs, which existed as early as 1888. The fob refers to an ornament attached to a pocket-watch chain. Key chains, car starters, garage door openers, and keyless entry devices on hotel room doors are also called fobs"

Yep, I looked it up. I'm ridiculously curious like that sometimes.

6. Thanks. I'm smarter now.

7. interesting...i always wondered the same thing.

8. :roflmfao:

9. ooo thanks so much sweetmelissa!!!

I wasnt sure if it meant "Fresh outta the box" or something.. lol

10. lol @ "fresh outta the box". i never knew what it meant either and i thought i must have been the only one. nice to know i wasn't! :p

11. I'm glad someone asked this. I was wondering as well.
    Interesting.

12. Hey, that's pretty neat! I never knew that. Any day I learn something new is a good day. :supacool:

13. Hmm, that is interesting. I always wondered what it meant and now I know! I love learning new things.

14. #14 Nov 1, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
    Car FOB = Frequency Operated Button. This is because when you press a button on the fob, a certain frequency is broadcast with a code that must match the code for the corresponding security system. If the codes match, the device performs the given function. your doors unlock, the car starts etc... that was somewhat relevant... anyway yea... it's just a name for decorative trinket.

15. I had never even heard of a fob until I started buying Coach. I just thought of it as another work for key chain. One day I heard something referred to as a fob and that kind of cleared it up for me. I seriously thought it was a Coach thing. Maybe they are called fobs because most of the time they aren't used as a key chain and are used as decoration for the bags?