what do you think of "coach"?

for me the problem is that there seems to be "coach then" and "coach now". I grew up thinking that coach built a quality product. And it did. Now, i don't think i can rave to others about the construction and materials of today's bags. They have changed. I think coach has done a good job listening to the trends and desires of mass marketing. But, i feel they had to compromise on quality to hold the market share they hold. I bought two coach bags last month. I didn't take the time to look them over closely because i stopped by the store between meetings. I counted on the "reliability" of coach and bought fast. When i got home and unwrapped them, i was disappointed in the short cuts the manufacturer had taken to shave cost out of the bag - including plastic zippers, a lower quality lining, and such. I took them back. They were not what i remembered about coach. I do have to say this for the company, they are great about no-questions-no-hassle returns. I respect that about them. I think coach is going to have a challenge the next few years. There are indie designers that are providing great designs in a quality handbag with better leathers coming in at a comparable price point.

yes!!!

Well , where i live Coach is more common. so I never get excited when I touch, hold and use my authentic Coach like you do. my point is i spotted the coach bags with teenage , college girl , mid-age people at grocery ALOT! compare to people who carry LV neverfull , chanel or balenciaga. I didn't see these bag that much. I barely saw teenage or college girl carry LV or others bags.

My "unwritten" point in the last comment was, commonality happens everywhere regardless of brands, more than you ever know. What's uncommon over there (re: your choices of brands and designs), is definitely common somewhere else.

It doesn't matter if a bag is carried by a teeny bopper or college gal or an old lady because that doesn't define the brand itself. People who have the money, can and will buy whatever brands they want. Just because teeny boppers, college gals and grandmas are buying/using Coach, that doesn't make the brand lousy or tacky you know?

Just FYI, Coach is pretty common here but that doesn't stop me from being excited touching, feeling, holding and carrying my Coach. What I own is what I love and I don't care if somebody else has what I have.

The only way to truly own something 101% unique is to get it custom designed and made. Then you'll never have to worry about the issue of commonality, which caused you to not get excited about what you own :P

The same here. For reasons beyond my understanding in the Italian city where I was born women are obsessed with only two bags, which are the LV Speedy and now the LV Neverfull (fake and real). 50% of the female population, from teenagers to grandmothes, carry either one of them. That's why I think about them as copycat bags with not much personality, but I guess you can also call them popular.

I have nothing against popular, but in this case I just don't like those bags. It is a matter of taste and everybody is entitled to have liking and disliking without necessarily intending to offend anyone.

On the other hand, Coach is almost never seen in Europe, so when I am in the States I sometimes check their stores and I always see many nice bags, not any tackier than a lot of designers bags. Coach seems to offer fine products at reasonable price. So far I didn't buy any, but maybe I'll be tempted next time... also because I know that I won't see any in European streets :biggrin:

Thanks gal! You just further justified my point to our OP here on the commonality issue.

LV Neverfull and Speedy are absolutely everywhere here including the fake ones. Now since they are the most common LVs, I doubt I'd get them if I want to buy an LV someday. I'd rather buy a different LV design that's less common so I can still feel "a bit different" while carrying a typical choice of designer brand's bag :amuse:

hunny, are you in toronto? I dont want to see another Speedy or Neverfull! And so many fakes too! I see them as often as Carlys. Truly I am nauseated by the girls dragging the broke down LV Speedys around the place with that belly hanging down. Bring on the Chloe, lol. I love Coach for their leather and their commitment to the quality of the bag. They've mad some boo-boos but I know that no other designer will repair or replace at the drop of a hat. And in the long run that's more important to me. And this whole anti- teen, anti-middle-aged, anti-granny sentiment of the OP is what strikes me as uncool. I trust that she doesn't plan to ever get to middle age because she'd have to give up all her bags. How sad!

I agree however that once you buy something (particular item or brand) you are more conscious of them all around you. I have that experience whenever I change my car :smile:

I can assure you that Coach bags I like, I rarely see. In fact, I have never run into anyone carrying the same bag I am carrying at that particular time and I cover the country and go into the US on work too.

I wish I was in Toronto or somewhere in the US! Then I can get my hands on those good bargains that you gals are getting over there. Although I'm not where you're at, I can assure you that Toronto is not the only place on earth being covered by LV Neverful and Speedy :lol:

On a lighter note, I don't get why people are so crazy about Coach Carly. It doesn't appeal to me and seriously that's one of the most overrated Coach designs.

It's definitely uncool to be anti this age and that age and trying to define a brand by that. I don't see anything wrong with people from all walks of life using a brand. That just means the company is reaching out to more people instead of sticking to only one age group. Kudos to Coach for creating varieties to suit every Jane that can be possibly interested in their designs!

LOL! Ditto, hunnyplaya!

Ivenvy - if your reason on feeling this way toward Coach is largely due to the fact that it's so common, then you might not want to come to most parts of Asia (Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, Korea, etc) with your LV bag. They're everywhere... Speedys, Neverfulls, Almas, Messenger bags, etc.

I don't LOVE Coach but I own quite a number of them. Quality is superb as I have ones that are over 10 years old. Their range has become so wide to make it more accessible to a greater group of customers. Nothing wrong with that.

Why thank you TDL ;) You are right on about Asia and my guess is either you live in one of those countries or you are a globe trotter!

Psst... Now that we have told the OP that LV Neverfull is one of the most common designer bags in Asia, she's probably going to avoid carrying hers to Asia in case it doesn't make her excited about using it among the other LV Neverfull carriers :graucho:

I have one Coach bag and the quality is excellent, I love how much thought they put into every detail! I prefer leather though, no monograms for me.

However, their prices have gone up, the a few months ago they sent me an email that said 'luxery you can afford' and I did spot a bag I thought was gorgeous in the line-up - only to find out it was $800. That's their idea of luxury I can afford? I got so irritated I took my name off their mailing list, but I do peek in there from time to time. :smile:

Linda

I enjoy reading your detailed discussion HunnyPlaya!:heart::heart::heart: I thought I was longwinded. ;) Very good points discussed. Personally, living in Toronto, I love seeing more and more designer bags coming out. I have to admit that I do love seeing the LV Neverfull and Speedy on the streets. What I hate is the sagginess of these LV bags. I fixed mine by creating and purchasing bag shapers to keep them in their pristine shape. In that way, I feel unique because I enjoy carrying my bag the way I want it to be for me.

I agree that I never really bought the Carly craze and yet I did want one but I was glad I finally got it in black leather with nickel hardware. For me, the all-leather version is the prettiest Carly style. I like the shape of it because I purchased a bag organizer (look at me with all these shapers and organizers) and it gives the bag a perfect "V" slouch. Defeating the unsightly sagginess makes a big difference between 'blah' :tdown: and 'Yeah!' :yahoo:

I do love Coach and so glad I discovered this brand. I am sad to see that they are changing their style drastically with their Poppy collection. I don't really like any of their bags. Maybe when they will show up at the boutiques I will have a change in heart, but I don't think so. For the past year, each time they introduced a new line, I was drooling and excited. Now that feeling has vanished except when there are Coach threads revealing older styled bags--then I feel as giddy as a newborn puppy.

I enjoy reading your detailed discussion HunnyPlaya!:heart::heart::heart: I thought I was longwinded. ;) Very good points discussed. Personally, living in Toronto, I love seeing more and more designer bags coming out. I have to admit that I do love seeing the LV Neverfull and Speedy on the streets. What I hate is the sagginess of these LV bags. I fixed mine by creating and purchasing bag shapers to keep them in their pristine shape. In that way, I feel unique because I enjoy carrying my bag the way I want it to be for me.

I agree that I never really bought the Carly craze and yet I did want one but I was glad I finally got it in black leather with nickel hardware. For me, the all-leather version is the prettiest Carly style. I like the shape of it because I purchased a bag organizer (look at me with all these shapers and organizers) and it gives the bag a perfect "V" slouch. Defeating the unsightly sagginess makes a big difference between 'blah' :tdown: and 'Yeah!' :yahoo:

I do love Coach and so glad I discovered this brand. I am sad to see that they are changing their style drastically with their Poppy collection. I don't really like any of their bags. Maybe when they will show up at the boutiques I will have a change in heart, but I don't think so. For the past year, each time they introduced a new line, I was drooling and excited. Now that feeling has vanished except when there are Coach threads revealing older styled bags--then I feel as giddy as a newborn puppy.

Aww you're so sweet T-Girl!! I *am* long winded and I hardly know how to cut my explanation short 'cause I prefer to have all the details in it than having to explain myself all over again :blush: I have seen your posts in various threads and I must admit that I like reading the stuffs you write too :smooch:

You know, I have never seen the leather Carly yet. I will try to Google it later. Now can you show me some pictures of your bag organizers and shappers? I am really curious as to how you actually keep your bags in shape using them!! I am kind of stupid sometimes and you gals teach me a lot on here.

I haven't been too crazy about Coach latest releases other than the Ali and Zoe lines. The colors they use for their designs are pretty dull at the moment even for their Sabrinas. I prefer their bright and fancy colored Sabrinas from earlier release. Oh and let me just add this, Sabrina is another overrated Coach design. So many people going crazy over it and I don't even want one.

As for the soon to be released Poppy line, it's seriously not piqueing much of my interest either. This line looks colorful and fun but I think it's better suited for younger gals especially the teenagers. Besides that, the stuffs from the Poppy line do look quite cheap, fake and a little tacky. The only thing that I might buy from this line is this gold wristlet (also comes in teal and blue I think) because of the fancy Coach Poppy logo design. Regardless, that's just me though. I am sure other people would love the Poppy line more than I do. Who knows? Maybe I'll get one of its totes for rainy weather use.

Coach is what's called "aspirational Luxury". I think it is a great way to carry a nice bag. I would rather spend money on a Coach than on a high-end Nine West(just an example). I have 4 Coach bags & they are quite good :smile:.
I feel Coach bags are made of quality material, and for the price, you can't beat it. I have bought $100 bags that don't last even a few months and I have been using the $300 Coach since 3 yrs and its amazing.
Just a small tip although many would know about it. I use a small lint roller regularly to clean the insides of all my bags.

I remember Coach as going in and out of popularity phases. I also have seen that with LV. I think a good bag is a good bag. I think there are classics that will never leave and although they fade out for awhile will always come back eventually. I have seen that with the speedy. Also, my mom has a Coach bag that is just plain and classic. Black leather hobo. I dont know what style it is. But , looks pretty timeless to me. I agree it really depends on the Coach bag for me to love it! Then again, that goes with any designer bag.
Oh I forgot to answer the question. I think it is doing pretty good and I don't think it is going down hill

I don't own any coach, and I personally don't like them. I did purchase one for my sister and the quality seems good and it looks good on her but it's not for me. Too many seen everywhere too, just unappealing to me.

One of the coach boutique is across the street from my office which I've been working for almost a decade. I'm not sure they are doing great nowadays. Just because the economy sucks, people buy their products at outlet and dep. stores offer discount? I always buy gifts at the store. Because it's convenient and the service is always great. And people generally know about them and like their stuffs. Even many of them are made in China, their quality control is impressive.