What do you do to motivate yourself?

1. For those of you that are trying to lose weight... what do you do to motivate yourself? I've been really struggling with getting myself to workout. When I'm having a bad day (which have been most of them lately) I find it so easy to say, "Screw it!" and just sit on my butt (even though I know how great I always feel after I workout). I also find that if I take a day off, it's easier to take the next day off, and the next, and so on, but when I get in the habit of workingout every day I do so much better at keeping with it.

So, what things have you found to be really motivational for you? Especially on those days where you feel like working out would be the biggest chore in the world? Thanks.

2. This is such a common problem that I'm sure most of us can relate to it.

I confess that occasionally I stay in bed and don't get up and go to dance class or take a long walk. But mostly, I make exercising a habit, like brushing my teeth and taking a shower. It's something that I do.... a routine.

I think when I skip a day or two I lose the momentum and it's easier to let more and more days slide by.

Unfortunately, I don't know how one keeps oneself motivated to exercise. I pretty much just do it, some days with more pleasure than others.

Good luck to you and if it's any comfort, we're all probably in the same boat as you!:shame:

3. i have been doing this for a while now:

get a pair of your "goal" jeans and when they fit good then hey you know you are on the right track...when they fit snug its an indicator that you need to get back on track.

4. Beats me. I have a heck of a time motivating myself to work out. I used to have a personal trainer but I ended up gaining weight. I just try to focus more on not eating too much honestly and make myself workout when I can. I work so much that quite often when I have extra time all I want to do is relax or take a nap. I am thinking about joining a gym though with some structured classes and maybe that will help by giving me some sort of routine to follow without costing me $400+/month like the trainer did.

5. i have to draaaag myself to work out so i understand... =P

what works best for me is if i set a schedule and stick to it. ie you go the gym from time A-B on set days. once i skip uit and get out of sync i end up not going for a looooong while. (like now... =9)

the other thing that works is to have a trainer coss you KNOW you gotta be there but it hurts the bank . Ouch!

and the skinny jeans/clothes goal is also a good one. pick an item that you only need to lose a little to fit into, don't go pick something 2 sizes smaller. you'll be motivated when u fit into the something. then you go on to pick something just a little smaller... and that's how it goes....

good luck!! you're not the only one =)

6. One thing that I do is I take a good look at myself naked in front of a mirror. I see areas of myself that I don't like and know that I have to change them or it will get worse with time. That's usually motivation enough. Or I look at pictures of Jessica Alba's body.

7. ^ that totally depresses me and looking at all the roils of fat just makes me feel like i'm a huge blob and there is no hope.... =(

but like they say, one man's meat is another man's poison....

8. Thanks everyone!

Zophie, I know exactly what you mean. I'm a full time student and I work, and the time I have to myself I just want to relax, you know? I wake up early enough as it is, so it's hard to workout before I have work or class (work is either at 7 or 8am).

I do have some "goal" clothes. My short term goal is a shirt that is just a bit snug, and I'd really like to wear it to either a dinner/benefit that I'm going to at the end of the month, or to my friend's wedding. I almost donated it to Goodwill a few months ago, but it's my boyfriend's favorite shirt on me, and he begged me to keep it. It would be great to be able to wear it again.

I'm thinking that I need to start writing down times in my planner to workout, and just force myself to stick to it. Like I said, when I get in the habit of doing it every day, it doesn't feel like as much of a chore.

One tiny thing that helps motivate me is that I put a circle around the numbers in my planner for the days that I work out. It's nice to see a week with lots of circles.

Oh, and the fact that my purse ban says I have to lose 30 pounds before I'm allowed another one, haha.

9. The biggest motivator for me is seeing a difference. There is nothing more frustrating than eating healthy and working out without seeing a difference in yourself or on the scale. I think that's why a lot of women give up and can't stay motivated. As soon as I start to see my clothes fitting better and the number on the scale going down I get really geeked and motivated to do more.

You said that you need to lose 30 pounds, right? Rather than focusing on your end goal, set smaller goals to work toward. Make your first goal 10 pounds and then give yourself a small reward. Then set another 10 pound goal, and then another. Otherwise, you will get overwhelmed and give up.

I also agree with the skinny clothes idea. About 6 weeks ago I came to the realization that I needed to drop about 10 pounds and get more toned. Right around the same time I went shopping at Ann Taylor and found a pair of pants that were TDF - I just loved them. I tried them on, loved them and proceeded to buy them a size smaller than what comfortably fit me. As soon as I got home I cut the tags off so I couldn't return them and promised myself that I'd be wearing them before summer. Guess what? I just wore them this past Tuesday and it felt great. This week at work we had three birthdays (which meant cheesecake, cake and cherry pie on three separate days) and I wasn't even tempted. Wearing those pants felt way better than indulging in any of those desserts.

Something else that works really well for me: don't allow mindless eating. Every time you pick something up to eat, promise that you will ask yourself if you really are hungry; ask whether you really want to eat whatever it is; and ask how you are going to feel after you eat it. So often we pick things up and put them in our mouths without thinking. Hold yourself accountable for everything you consume. I also keep a food journal of everything I eat and that helps me a lot.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. :biguns:

10. ^ Thanks so much for the advice.

I'd like to lose more than 30 pounds, but that's my first short-term goal for myself. Maybe I'll break it down even smaller, and give myself a little reward for every 10 pounds (maybe treating myself to a pedicure or massage or a small accessory?).

I can't wait until summer, when it's so much easier to be active! I'd rather spend an hour out hiking with my dogs than twenty minutes inside on my elliptical, you know?

You're right on about making sure that I'm eating for the right reasons. Maybe I'll start keeping a food journal again, where I write down everything that I eat. When you feel like having "just a handful" of something, and then remember that you'll have to write it down, well... it makes you think twice, at least. ;) I have a cute little notebook that doesn't have a purpose yet, maybe I'll start a food/exercise journal today.

11. For me, it was looking at old photos from when I was 15 lbs. lighter.

12. ^ Good call! Maybe I'll look through some old pictures tonight.

13. also make an HONEST picture diary.

a snapshot every week will help keep you on track. dont suck the tummy in, and just take that pic. as your body changes you will love to see your progress.

14. I have a dog and she keeps me motivated. We go for a 4 mile walk everyday. I try to go at the same time everyday and if I don't she starts bugging me so I have no choice. I love her! Right now we are on vacation and I miss her so much. I took a day off of skiing and am going to take a hike to the frozen waterfall but the walk won't be the same without her!

15. I never thought to take weekly pictures. I did take some photos when I was just about at my heaviest, and recorded that along with my measurements.