What Do You Carry On The Plane In Your Hermes Carry-on?

That first day when the BA restrictions were enforced, the BBC reported that BA lost 10,000 bags!!! So, yes, I think I'd prefer to keep as many of my precious belongings with me on the plane.

traceyd, I think the bags checked in actually do go through an x-ray screening, so at least that's something. :s

yes, the bags do go thru....they just started domestcially in the us in the last year...
but, i saw a special report the other night that the cargo is not being checked...so commercial boxes and overnight packages and things are not being checked....

tried the pliage large at Saks today and happened to be carrying my her bag with the long strap on and I tried it inside the large size (not custom) and it fit perfectly and amusingly the long strap could be arranged to come out through the top of the pliage so that you could carry it messager style using the Hermes strap attached to the her bag inside - the black with the tan flap looked really good with it.

but could u get anything else in with it???

In addition to the Her bag in the large size pliage I could also have gotten a down travel pillow in, a small umbrella and a pashmina in addition to anything that I could cram into the her bag - there was room on both sides of the bag inside the bag though not a lot of room. Probably could also have gotten in a paperback. Size of pliage: Opens to 17.75” x 13.75” x 9” and measures 22.5" along the zipper. My her bag is about 30 cm on the bottom - I think that is 12 inches and about 10 or so inches high if that gives you an idea of how much room is left. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

I'm flying this Saturday to the US and I would like to take my 30cm Birkin along ... I hope my stuff fits, otherwise, I need to bring my really beat up backpack:

- laptop (gosh, I hate carrying my laptop but since it's a business trip, I need to bring it!)
- notebook
- GM agenda
- pen
- wallet
- Prada nylon pouch with passport, tickets, etc.
- lipstick, lipgloss, and hopefully, a pair of disposable contact lenses
- eye glasses when I remove my lenses
- extra underwear
- mobile phone
- magazine
- IPod

Duh, I forgot to put my umbrella!

Gosh, I absolutely LOVE threads like these. And I haven't even begun to read it yet!

I don't know about everyone here, but I used to cut out cute accessories from the fashion mags and paste them into a portable album, all the things I would like to carry or travel with me. I especially liked items found at special apothecaries (mason pearson brush, gold pillbox, miniature crocodile skin travel clock, etc.)

so, just spoke to my travel agent....
anywhere in US, you can do whatever you used to do, carry-on, purse etc....one carry-on, trolley if you want....one purse...birkin if you want...just the no liquid, no gels rule.
internationally --- thru england one birkin size bag that you will most likely be asked to empty and put it's contents in a clear plastic bag. nothing else.
other airlines have some restrictions, but you can still take a normal carry-on and a personal bag, like a purse. no liquids and gels -- obviously....so,
going is much easier apparently than returning where they may scrutinize what you are carrying more carefully. trolleys okay everywhere except UK.
so, shopmom, you can take two bags to paris.....
and socal, you can take two to madrid unless you are going thru heathrow.

From the BAA...

BAA: Airport security – new restrictions from 22 September

22 September 2006

The Department for Transport's further relaxation in the security restrictions at UK airports, will be implemented at all BAA airports from today.
The revised security measures allow for:
  • an increase in the size of the hand baggage permitted onboard and
  • musical instruments to be taken onboard.
In addition, BAA will now be allowing passengers to take solid cosmetics in hand luggage.
This easing of restrictions is not a return to normal as the revised regulations will continue to have an impact on our airports' operations. All passengers will be subject to hand baggage restrictions and are asked to be patient while these additional security measures are in place. Passengers are asked to allow extra time for their journey and to arrive at the airport prepared.
Hand baggage restrictions
Passengers are permitted to carry ONE item of hand baggage, no larger than the specified size, through the airport security search point. The dimensions* are as follows:
  • 56 centimetres long (approximately 22 inches)
  • 45 centimetres high (approximately 17.5 inches)
  • 25 centimetres deep (approximately 9.85 inches).
* This is the maximum bag size allowed through security. Smaller bag sizes may apply depending on which airline you travel with. We therefore advise you to contact your airline.

I'm flying this Saturday to the US and I would like to take my 30cm Birkin along ... I hope my stuff fits, otherwise, I need to bring my really beat up backpack:

- laptop (gosh, I hate carrying my laptop but since it's a business trip, I need to bring it!)
- notebook
- GM agenda
- pen
- wallet
- Prada nylon pouch with passport, tickets, etc.
- lipstick, lipgloss, and hopefully, a pair of disposable contact lenses
- eye glasses when I remove my lenses
- extra underwear
- mobile phone
- magazine
- IPod

you should be ok with the contact lenses but you might have your lipstick and gloss taken away. on our way back to the UK. my friend had her vaseline taken away. (...along with all her MAC makeup :sad:)

I love these posts! You gals are brilliant! I never thought about a lot of these ideas (sample moisturizer, bag brands / types, mineral makeup).... I normally don't post (I'm quite shy) - but I really appreciate all the helpful tips.... Thanks! :flowers:
Oh - contacts with 2 oz. of solution were ok on a long flight to Bahrain -- I think someone asked about the liquid solution....

I would just check in a bag, even if half empty except for cosmetics, and still have most of my things with me on the flight. I'm flying out on Wednesday for a 3 week holiday (yippee!) and that's what I'm doing. Can you run out and get the lipstick version of the lipgloss?

I've just had an idea: if you can get a sachet of moisturiser and a teeny $1 tub of vaseline you could take your chances with them. that wasy if they are confiscated, you won't lose anything pricey. :smile: