What Do You Carry On The Plane In Your Hermes Carry-on?

Traceyd....no. You are only allowed one carry-on. They will probably make you stash your handbag inside the carry-on which is what they always make me do.

I found this on the AirFrance website regarding hand luggage. There is a similar policy on Delta and Continental

In the cabin, you can transport 1 baggage item + 1 accessory, such as a handbag, laptop computer, or camera.
Check that:
- the total weight does not exceed 12 kg,
- the total dimensions, including wheels and handles, do not exceed 115 cm (width + length + height = 115 cm).

in my 35cm when I travel--usually short domestic trips these days since we had our daughter:
-camera
-cellphone
-agenda
-cosmetic case w/lipstick, compact, lipbalm (Purell & perfume b4 restrictions), bandaids, extra car key, pen
-sunglasses, glasses
-jewelry case-i never check in my jewelry
-magazines
-iPod
-sugar-free throat lozenges

^ I don't have a Kelly yet. There seems to be an extra-large Pliages that Gina posted that is bigger than others I've seen. I'm going to get that one. This was hypothetical - I could also substitute my Trim for the Kelly, which would fit into the PLiages I have now. :smile:

^ I don't have a Kelly yet. There seems to be an extra-large Pliages that Gina posted that is bigger than others I've seen. I'm going to get that one. This was hypothetical - I could also substitute my Trim for the Kelly, which would fit into the PLiages I have now. :smile:

Thanks. :flowers: I will have to order an XL Pliages.

Traceyd....no. You are only allowed one carry-on. They will probably make you stash your handbag inside the carry-on which is what they always make me do.

No, you are allowed two carry ons. One can be luggage size and the other one should be able to be stored under the seat in front of you. I usually bring my roller duffle and a tote bag. I have to put my purse inside of the tote bag to get on the plane.

If it helps, I just checked Swiss and they allow only 2 x 8 kg carryons, size I think was 20 x 40 x 55; in economy they allow only one piece. I'm trying to picture what 8kgs is, but I haven't a clue except that it seems like not very much. I have flown quite a few airlines with my usual luggage: an Alison van der lande weekender bag -btw just the thing for gals who want something stylish but not too expensive or precious for travelling, if anyone is curious I will post the line as they have some very nice travel bags (as used by Elton John, or somebody famous!!!) It's a bowling bag shaped overnight bag, absolutely fantastic and it is usually all I take overseas (no checked luggage,ever; The return trip involves the purchase of suitcases which never get to leave home again...!)

Thanks, Lelgin! That was my impression...

GT, Yes...I will be flying through Heathrow and will have to live with related travel restrictions..."one cabin bag" and "no cosmetics"...

Jeez....it would be great if I could take a handbag (maybe my HCL backpack) AND the carry-on through Heathrow but when I asked them (British Air) on the phone they said I'd have to put my backpack (slim, leather) inside my carry on and the carry on could only be 45cm x 35cm x 16cm. I'll give it a whirl and be prepared to shove the poor backpack inside the carry-on if I have to....Oh well....

^ That would be consistent with the info on the website. The website even indicates that if you have more than one carry-on you can be refused travel on your flight...

^ Yes, they can be really quite awful about it.

I understand that restrictions need to be put in place for security purposes. What annoys me is that these measures seem only ever like knee-jerk reactions to the latest threat, but there has not yet been a cumulative policy put in place for everyone to follow, incorporating lessons learned from previous threats and attacks. For this reason I've been told by BA agents that they're often obliged to follow what current rules there are very strictly without resort to common sense. On the flight I was on in August, mothers were even refused excess diapers and baby wipes! Only after much haggling and the threat of infants defecating all over the cabin during a 7 hour flight did the staff finally cave in.

Here's to hoping the restrictions will be more reasonable, and soon.

Well, my experience is that they are being super strict now:crybaby: on ANY flight back home to the US. NO roller. NO extra carryone, just one. ( so that means everuthing in the Birkin, and I put my Birkin i:wtf: n another soft shoulder bag. And I'm like you Tracey, have tons of stuff!!
though, I lightened a bit my load by becoming a audiobook fan, and just downloading the books I want to read into my Ipod. Also with all the TV shows and Movies I can put on the Ipod I don't need more than one magazine (for that take off and landing time, when you can't have the Ipod on.).
Always have a thin cashmere Hermes cardigan folded up to put on in case it's chilly mid-flight. Cell phone, etc.. no more makeup case necessary since they take it away from you.. I just carry little sealed enveloppe samples of face and eye creme tucked into the Birkin's zipper compartment.
Ok. here's my problem: I have my laptop, always, Which, I don't know what to do with.. because I'm afraid it'll mess up my Birkin to have so much weight in it... I mean the bottoms of Birkins are made of wood, but are not unbreakable...Right?:sad: Anyideas what to di if you carry a laptop.. I mean.. checking it would be super dangerous rigth? What if they loose it? Travling is becoming such a pain!

Holy moley - please will someone tell me they have lifted the bloody lipstick restriction? No cosmetics? Sorry, I know I am not a slick chick but they don't really expect me to travel to another continent without lipstick??? Or moisturiser? etc etc....:hysteric: