What do I do with a ugly, gross fake? Burn it?!

I hear ya! I absolutely understand how you feel since I had similar experience with my MJ stam purchase from Ebay. Gross! Anyhow, I think it's better to return the purse to the seller, otherwise she can file another claim against you for not returning the purse.

hi everyone,

i've been a lurker up until now, but from what i've read, i feel like this is a great community and i would really appreciate whatever advice you guys could give me about my situation -

i was antiquing in cape cod and i found a chanel purse - granted i'm more of a balenciaga girl, i loved the way it looked and the leather felt really soft, i figured it might be lambskin. long story short, i was rushed by my friends and flustered and ended up buying it.

i went home and read up on authenticating chanels, and actually found the same purse in a larger size on an ebay auction from a trustworthy seller - after comparing it with mine, the hardware definitely looked like it was painted gold and not brass / gold metal, and the inside lining was wrong, as was the leather tag.

i called the antique store and they told me i should have known and that they are not responsible as the person who consigned the item already got paid, and there's nothing they can do about it -

do you guys think there's any action i could take or even what to do about the faux purse? just looking at it is making me sad :sad: granted i didn't pay a huge amount for it, i am a student and it's upsetting to have lose money in this way.

thanks so much in advance. :smile:

The antique store said you should have known? Way to pass the buck. :rolleyes: They should have their bags authenticated before selling them on to unassuming customers, shouldn't they? Was this bag represented as authentic?

Isn't it illegal to sell fakes? I would report it to the police. Maybe try to get some legal aid in the form of a demand letter sent from an attorney? That ought to scare them into refunding you. I'd have it authenticated by CarolDiva and get a letter stating that it is fake and file a police report, certainly.

Shame on them for taking advantage of you and shrugging it off as "your fault". :cursing: I wonder how they'd like getting a reputation for selling fakes and screwing over customers?

hi everyone,

i've been a lurker up until now, but from what i've read, i feel like this is a great community and i would really appreciate whatever advice you guys could give me about my situation -

i was antiquing in cape cod and i found a chanel purse - granted i'm more of a balenciaga girl, i loved the way it looked and the leather felt really soft, i figured it might be lambskin. long story short, i was rushed by my friends and flustered and ended up buying it.

i went home and read up on authenticating chanels, and actually found the same purse in a larger size on an ebay auction from a trustworthy seller - after comparing it with mine, the hardware definitely looked like it was painted gold and not brass / gold metal, and the inside lining was wrong, as was the leather tag.

i called the antique store and they told me i should have known and that they are not responsible as the person who consigned the item already got paid, and there's nothing they can do about it -

do you guys think there's any action i could take or even what to do about the faux purse? just looking at it is making me sad :sad: granted i didn't pay a huge amount for it, i am a student and it's upsetting to have lose money in this way.

thanks so much in advance. :smile:

How did you pay? You might have some recourse if you paid by credit card.

If you paid by cash it would be harder to get your money back.

May I ask how much you spent?

Agree with bulletsproof. It is illegal to sell fakes and they should have had the bag authenticated before offering it for sale. As someone who grew up in New England and spent a lot of time on Cape Cod, I know how fun it is to shop and antique there. My sister and I spent part of last summer antiquing on the Cape for her vintage jewelry business.

And yes, as Smooth stated, if you paid by credit card call your bank about potential recourse. I would even start by calling the store owner, advising her that selling fakes is illegal, and that you plan to take action with your bank if the form of a chargeback if she still insists you should have known.

after reading your responses, i called the police department in the cape cod area and they told me to use their power and "extort" the store and ask for my money back. a very polite detective told me he would go in and investigate unless they refunded my money, and after a very heated argument with the store owner, she has agreed to charge the money back to my card!

a BIG THANK YOU for all of your help, i would not have even thought of actually calling the police about this but thanks to your responses, i did it and it looks like it will end well. thank you all so much again!!!!

after reading your responses, i called the police department in the cape cod area and they told me to use their power and "extort" the store and ask for my money back. a very polite detective told me he would go in and investigate unless they refunded my money, and after a very heated argument with the store owner, she has agreed to charge the money back to my card!

a BIG THANK YOU for all of your help, i would not have even thought of actually calling the police about this but thanks to your responses, i did it and it looks like it will end well. thank you all so much again!!!!

That's fabulous news! I hope they refund you immediately. If they drag their feet you can always call your credit card company and tell them you want to start the chargeback process for a fake chanel purse you bought.

Hooray! So happy this worked out so well for you! They must have a great police department over there in Cape Cod. Good for them!

I agree with Mon, follow up with your credit card company.

Wow, the police there sound awesome and really helpful! :woohoo:

ohh thats soo great you got this to be solved! , in my country this wouldve never happened!! lol but im glad and maybe you can finally enjoy an authentic one after this!! hope everythin comes out much better at the end!

Great News!!!! Shame on them for giving you a hard time.