what do I do w/ the fake?

Aug 10, 2007
I got a fake Chloe from an online boutique maybe four months ago..I paid w/ money order, so the only proof I've got is the money order receipt and the fakey. The seller did not contact me back after writing many emails to her, and I reported her web host to tell them she was selling fakes, but they said that what she was doing was w/in their guidelines so they couldn't do anything. I also filed an online FBI complaint, but it's been a few months and they haven't done anything or contacted me. I'm getting sick of the fake sitting around and just wanna trash it already. Is there anything more I can do? & if you've filed an FBI fraud complaint, how long did it take for them to get on it or contact you? Thanks so much...:confused1:

I'm sorry you ended up buying a fake, hopefully you didn't pay too much for it? Either way I can understand how you feel about not wanting a fake in your closet, it's probably a constant reminder of that bad experience. If I were you I'd just give the thing away or donate it, and let it be a lesson learned.

I heard that Harpers Bazaar is having some contest where people send in their fakes and they can be entered to win a shopping spree. I'll see if I can find info and link it later!

I filed the FBI fraud complaint about 2 or 3 months ago, and I still haven't gotten any reply. Has anyone had experience w/ filing a complaint and how long did it take to settle? thanks so much...=)

How about writing up a little story and sending around to different news outlets (online, newspapers and local news)? I bet some of them will be interested in printing it. And, at the very least you will make more people aware about the fake seller.

And, of course, I am very sorry this happened to you. It sucks. :cursing:

>>>I filed the FBI fraud complaint about 2 or 3 months ago, and I still haven't gotten any reply. Has anyone had experience w/ filing a complaint and how long did it take to settle? thanks so much...=)

I hate to be the one to break the bad news but you'll be lucky if you hear anything at all from the FBI. You might try calling your local FBI office and see if you can get a sympathetic ear and that might help. You should also contact your state attorney general's department of consumer affairs. What they'll do, if anything, will depend upon your state, but they may be able to provide advice applicable to your local laws as well as some contacts among local or state law enforcement agencies. Remember that in calling any government agency what advice or direction you get is going to depend entirely upon who you talk to.

Your best bet though will probably come from alerting the manufacturers of the bags that have been ripped off.

The only thing you can do is to be persistent and hope that someone pays attention. You might try e-mailing some of the major news organizations like CNN or consumer news shows like ABC's 20/20. They're always interested in stories like this.

You need to decide how much time and emotion you want to invest in such a campaign. Sometimes it's best to swallow your losses, put the whole wretched experience behind you and simply move on.

How long should you hold onto the purse? I'd keep it for a year just in case someone should call you about it. If you can't stand looking at it put it in a bag in the attic where you don't have to see it and be reminded of the whole miserable affair.

I'm sorry that this has happened to you. I hope you didn't lose too much money. In the future always buy something like this with a credit card so you can get your CC company to do a charge-back. In Internet rip-offs credit card companies are your only ally.