What do eat to lose weight while being vegetarian

1. Hi Guys

I have been fighting a losing battle with my weight for years.I got diagnosed with insulin resistance and PCOS which means my body does not process the sugar i eat properly. I can exercise - thats not my problem, its the diet. I am vegetarian and do not eat meat or seafood. I eat eggs occasionally. I recently weighed myself and have put on a substantial amount of weight and am extremely depressed about it. I have tried every diet under the sun and i lose motivation due to the lack of variety in a vegetarian diet. i would love suggestions.
  2. Have you tried tofu and soy. I am not a vegetarian so I am not of much help but good luck with your diet it can be frustrating!!!
  3. One can be very healthy on the vegetarian diet. There are fruits, vegetables, pulses (such as beans and lentils), grains (millet, rice, pasta, oats- I know people think carbs are a big no no but we need them as part of a healthy diet), seeds (e.g. sesame).

Have a look at this website (it's for vegans but you can get some good ideas there)http://www.vegansociety.com/html/food/nutrition/SourcesNutrition.php

There are also many vegetarian diet books out there e.g. http://amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/104-4172012-3202340?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=vegetarian+diet
  4. Stope everything white (not vegetables); Like white flour, sugar and everything else with high amount of carbs. Try not to eat a lot of processed food, buy fresh vegetables eggs and tofu, beans and other soy products. Do not fry. Proteins are important! Soy products and eggs (especially the whites) are vital sources for those who are vegetarian!
  5. ^ Very solid advice.

I'm also a vegetarian. I think the most important step is, like Liberte suggested, to cut out the "whites" and focus on healthy carbohydrates: whole grains, wheat flour/pasta, fruits, etc.

Vegetables are very important, and should be a good chunk of your diet.

Also, the proteins we eat as vegetarians are very good for us! Beans, tofu, soy products, peanut butter, etc.

Focus on being healthy (not just eating low fat or whatever), watch your portion sizes, and workout regularly. Don't "try diets," but rather work on incorporating healthy eating into your lifestyle, otherwise you'll crash or put back on any weight you've lost. Don't get down on yourself when you slip up, and give in to the occasional naughty craving. The biggest thing is just eating healthier and not stuffing yourself every day. Eat small amounts throughout the day.
  6. Getting enough protein is very important... go for beans and tofu like others have suggested.

There is some great advice given above!
  7. you can also try to supplement your diet to get protein. check out the vegan section of whole foods, there is often a rep there selling their stuff that you can get some answers from.
  8. I'm vegetarian and make sure to still keep with a balanced carb, protein, fat diet..... I am not vegan so I incorporate a good amount of low fat and fat free dairy, soy protein, veggies, legumes. I cook a lot with lentils, bulgar wheat, chickpeas, tofu..... I try to add ground flax seed for essential fats and digestion and brocco sprouts for antioxidants to a lot of what my husband and I eat. I like to add different types of rices to dishes and if we want a pasta I usually will buy a brown rice or whole wheat pasta (I like the taste of the brown rice one better). I guess the best advice I could give is pretty much what others have already said, stay as far away from the "white" foods as you can.....try to focus on real "whole" foods, limit your pre-packaged goods, and keep your portions in check, everything still in moderation because no matter how well you eat your body only needs a certain finite amount of calories a day.....
  9. I'd be a full vegetarian if not for my love of sushi. I don't eat a lot of fish and no meats.
    I eat lots of veggies everyday, textured vegetable protein (TVP), seitan and tofu. I am also anemic, but I keep my protein up with the seitan and TVP.

For breakfast, I usually have nonfat Fage greek yogurt (
    http://www.fageusa.com/0_yogurt_info.html) with sprinkles of Barbara's Puffins cereal. The Fage has loads of protein, is very low calories and filling. The cereal I treat as a low-calorie granola. I get the crunch without the calories. If the yogurt is too plain or tart, try sweetening with a packet of splenda or a teaspoon of your favorite sugar-free jam or jelly.

A few years back I lost more than 60 pounds with a nutritionist, diet and exercise. Then I got married and gained 25. I'm working hard to lose the weight because I want to be healthier, and I want to fit into my cute clothes that I spent a lot of money on.
  10. Here are some very good vegetarian diet tips from ivillage:

Although a vegetarian diet is often considered a healthy option, it can also be loaded with fat. And that's no help if you're trying to lose weight. If you're a vegetarian, watch out for these five common pitfalls:

Diet Trap 1: Cheese
    Milk, cheese and yogurt are great sources of protein, calcium, and vitamin D. However, the whole-milk versions contain fat -- and most of it is the saturated kind, which clogs up our arteries and leads to heart disease. Think about this: Take two teaspoons of lard and add it to an eight-ounce glass of skim milk. Now you have as much fat as one eight-ounce glass of whole milk. Disgusting, isn't it? Most cheeses contain seven to nine grams of fat per ounce -- and an ounce is about the size of your thumb.
    Solution: Stick to skim milk and fat-free yogurt. Choose reduced-fat cheeses and keep the portions small -- no more than one or two ounces per meal.

Diet Trap 2: Nuts
    Nuts and seeds play a starring role in a vegetarian's food choices because they are great sources of protein, and the fat they contain is the more healthful unsaturated type. Nuts have even been shown to help prevent heart disease. But do you know the recommended serving size of nuts or seeds? Two tablespoons -- that's less than a handful. Their high fat content means that if you overeat, you gain weight.
    Solution: Sprinkle nuts or seeds on top of your foods; try them on salads, cooked vegetables, stir-fry, even hot cereal. Be extra careful of the amount you use; one tablespoon, or the size of your thumb, is plenty.

Diet Trap 3: High-fat Recipes
    Many vegetarian recipes are loaded with fat -- from butter, sour cream, oil, you name it. Fat adds flavor and texture to food, but it also contributes calories.
    Solution: Limit added fats (margarine, mayonnaise, salad dressing, sour cream, cream cheese) to no more than one teaspoon per meal. Try sauteing foods in vegetable broth or wine instead of oil. Choose a hearty whole-grain bread and skip the high-fat toppings. Reduce unnecessary fat in all recipes, both vegetarian and those that include meat.

Diet Trap 4: Fast Food
    Everybody is strapped for time, and it often shows in our food choices. Chips, soda, cookies and candy contribute hefty amounts of calories to our diet. Even vegetarians need to be wary of packaged foods, frozen meals and high-fat snacks.
    Solution: Use as many natural, unprocessed foods as you can and save the fast foods and packaged meals for occasional treats. Not only will you take in fewer calories, you'll also reap the benefits of more vitamins, minerals and fiber.

Diet Trap 5: High-calorie Juice
    Vegetable and fruit juices provide healthy nutrients, but they also contain far more calories than you would get from the fresh produce. One apple has about 80 calories, yet an eight-ounce glass of apple juice contains 120 calories. Eating fruit or vegetables satisfies our hunger much more effectively than drinking juice. The process of chewing slows down our rate of eating, and the fiber in fresh produce makes us feel full.
    Solution: Drink water to satisfy your thirst. Eat at least two servings of fruit and three servings of vegetables every day.
  11. beans are great because they are filling but also have protein. another great thing is quinoa, which is like a barley or rice, but it's almost straight protein and it's delicious. tofu, etc are good too, but i'm sure you've already thought of that. we eat veggie burgers a lot and I also make black bean burgers YUM!