What 5 jewelry pieces should a girl in her 20s focus on acquiring?

I'm currently in my 20's and my absolute must have jewelry pieces are:

1. White gold and diamond huggie earrings. I prefer these to diamond studs, as they don't hurt me ears. Mine were a 21st birthday gift.

2. A wear every day necklace. I don't have one of these at the moment as my tastes have changed from yellow to white gold, I am looking to get a white gold and diamond solitaire pendant later this year.

3. A good strand of pearls - this is for me mind you. I know plenty of 20 year olds who wouldn't be caught dead in sensible pearls, or simple don't see the appeal. I was lucky enough to inherit mine, when my mum realized she never wore it, after she was given them by my grandmother - who also never wore them. These were originally my great grandmothers, bought for her by her son during WW2 when he served in Japan. They have recently been restrung (as my great grandmother was very petite she wore it in a triple string, but now its a single opera length strand) to be more versatile. While not something most 20 years olds could afford I adore them.

4. A lovely classic ring - also something I don't own yet. Unfortunately I have very expensive tastes so my ideal ring is currently not in the budget. With an unlimited budget I would have an exact copy of my grandmothers ring made, which is a raised cluster ring set with diamonds around a Ceylon sapphire.

5. A beautiful watch - I'm lucky enough to own a Hermes Kelly lock watch, which is my absolute favorite and I truly believe it doubles as jewelry.

I think these 5 are good staples, for me at least, but of course every girl has got to have her stand out pieces which she only wears every now and then. :graucho:

These are really great!

I'm currently 24 and these are my go-to's!
1. My special occasions pasha de cartier skeleton dragon motif watch, gifted to me by my parents
2. My Love bangles that never leave my wrist
3. A simple pair of studs
4. (I'm engaged so my engagement ring) but if I had to replace that it'll be my tiffany and co yellow diamond necklace
5. A nice statement necklace, because I'm young and like those things! Lol [emoji39]

I think I may have contributed to this thread earlier (and when i was younger!) lol... but now that I'm nearing the end of my 20s, I look back and wish I had or hadn't bought certain pieces.

In my very early 20s, all I could afford was nice costume jewellery (which still actually costs a significant amount). I'm talking Swarovski pieces. Now? I wish I hadn't bought any of that and saved instead. I got a lot of wear out of it at the time... but in all honesty, I haven't touched those pieces since I was maybe 24.

I know people are saying who in their 20s can afford diamonds or pearls?
Very true. Unless the person in question is from a well off background, it may well be difficult!

The thing is... with all the money I wasted on swarovski pieces, I could've had my staple pieces much earlier. I just couldn't see that far ahead!

My list includes what I wear every day or would like to have to wear and can see that they will be getting good use in the future:

1. Studs. Diamond or pearl. These don't need to be massive. They just need to be well cut! Mine are only 0.5ctw between the two earrings, but I don't feel that I need a size much bigger than this. They sparkle, subtle and classy. Diamond studs of this size are actually relatively affordable... and pearls even more so.

2. Pendant/necklace, preferably diamond. Again, this doesn't have to be massive or super expensive. Just pay attention to how well cut your stones are to get the most impact... I wear a hearts on fire pendant most days. Loads of sparkle.

3. Huggies if that's your style. So you have another pair of earrings to change things up with. My earrings alternate between my studs and my diamond huggies most of the time, if I want a blingier look! Mine are 1.5ctw.

4. Ring. This can be an engagement ring if you're at that point in life, or perhaps something else that you like! whatever works, but I would stick with gold or platinum in a design that speaks to you :smile: Diamonds are always a plus too.

5. Bracelet. While I own one diamond bracelet... It's not a tennis bracelet which is something that I actually would very much so like to own. Again, I'm not after this in a huge size- in all honesty, I think diamonds are great but subtle touches (for me) look better than massive OMG is that even real?! kinds of pieces... especially for a girl in her 20s :biggrin: coz really.. how many 20 something year olds would have a 15ct bracelet for real?

I own a pearl necklace. Several in fact. Sadly they never get worn. While this may well be a staple for some people, make sure you think carefully about whether they really suit your style!

One last thing. It's easy to be caught up in love for branded items... It's why we're all on this forum afterall :biggrin: DO remember though, that you can get lovely UNBRANDED items of jewellery for much less of equal or comparable quality :smile:

Very true. Unless the person in question is from a well off background, it may well be difficult!

Actually I think a lot of people in their 20's can afford diamonds and pearls, maybe not thousands of dollars worth but certainly something. When I was 22 I bought my mother a pair of diamond earrings for Christmas (granted they were on sale but still a significant amount) and I'm planning on getting myself a diamond solitaire pendant later this year (I will be 24).

If a 20-something year old wants diamonds enough then there's no reason they can't save and get them. It's even a good investment, especially if its a classic piece which will last them for a long time.

I think I may have contributed to this thread earlier (and when i was younger!) lol... but now that I'm nearing the end of my 20s, I look back and wish I had or hadn't bought certain pieces.

In my very early 20s, all I could afford was nice costume jewellery (which still actually costs a significant amount). I'm talking Swarovski pieces. Now? I wish I hadn't bought any of that and saved instead. I got a lot of wear out of it at the time... but in all honesty, I haven't touched those pieces since I was maybe 24.

The thing is... with all the money I wasted on swarovski pieces, I could've had my staple pieces much earlier. I just couldn't see that far ahead!

My list includes what I wear every day or would like to have to wear and can see that they will be getting good use in the future:

1. Studs. Diamond or pearl. These don't need to be massive. They just need to be well cut! Mine are only 0.5ctw between the two earrings, but I don't feel that I need a size much bigger than this. They sparkle, subtle and classy. Diamond studs of this size are actually relatively affordable... and pearls even more so.

2. Pendant/necklace, preferably diamond. Again, this doesn't have to be massive or super expensive. Just pay attention to how well cut your stones are to get the most impact... I wear a hearts on fire pendant most days. Loads of sparkle.

3. Huggies if that's your style. So you have another pair of earrings to change things up with. My earrings alternate between my studs and my diamond huggies most of the time, if I want a blingier look! Mine are 1.5ctw.

4. Ring. This can be an engagement ring if you're at that point in life, or perhaps something else that you like! whatever works, but I would stick with gold or platinum in a design that speaks to you :smile: Diamonds are always a plus too.

5. Bracelet. While I own one diamond bracelet... It's not a tennis bracelet which is something that I actually would very much so like to own. Again, I'm not after this in a huge size- in all honesty, I think diamonds are great but subtle touches (for me) look better than massive OMG is that even real?! kinds of pieces... especially for a girl in her 20s :biggrin: coz really.. how many 20 something year olds would have a 15ct bracelet for real?

I own a pearl necklace. Several in fact. Sadly they never get worn. While this may well be a staple for some people, make sure you think carefully about whether they really suit your style!

One last thing. It's easy to be caught up in love for branded items... It's why we're all on this forum afterall :biggrin: DO remember though, that you can get lovely UNBRANDED items of jewellery for much less of equal or comparable quality :smile:

Excellent post and great advice![emoji106]

Very true about the branded items. In addition, I would recommend buying estate pieces. With estate, usually, you get more bling for your buck.

Reactions: cdtracing
I am at the start of my twenties but I was making so much researches after I became 18. I don't have pierced ears, so I never thought about earrings. In my opinion the list for "non-pierced ear" people:

1)a nice solitaire diamond pendant, that the biggest you can afford.
2)a nice diamond bracelet matches with pendant or everyday necklace
3)an everyday necklace
4)a brand watch
5)a layering piece for your everyday necklace or if you are like me a colored gemstone piece (I prefer sapphire or emerald necklace)

My suggestions for people with pierced ears:

1)a nice solitaire diamond pendant, that the biggest you can afford.
2)a nice diamond bracelet matches with your diamond pendant
3)studs match with diamond pendant
4)a brand watch
5)an everyday necklace

I didn't wrote about pearls or engagement ring, because your engagement ring is up to your future husband and real natural pearls are very very expensive. Today almost all the pearls we see are cultured pearls(I don't mean just fresh water. Akoya, south see or tahiti pearls, all of them are cultured.) And cultured pearls have lots of difference than the natural ones. I know they are not really fake but my mind just get it that way. So I am not a pearl fan.

Also my suggestion is don't choose silver for anything. I have lots of Pandora pieces(every kind of jewelry except earrings) and I don't use them anymore. Because they are tarnishing very quickly and I don't wanna clean them that often.

I can suggest as watch brands: Maurice Lacroix, Frederique Constant, Rolex

I said for solitaire pendant, the biggest one can afford but I suggest at least 0.3 ct. Because the smaller ones generally don't have certificate.

I feel like society looks to younger women for some refreshing willingness to take chances with fashion and jewelry. :smile: So it's a pleasure to see how they change things up, mixing expensive and costume pieces, pairing a pearl strand with a t-shirt, etc. This is the decade when it looks sweet to have something not too expensive in diamonds that is not so classic and forever. Silver or copper pieces that may not stay with you till you're 40, but that's okay. And maybe a ring that belonged to grandma. I really enjoy combinations like this.

Reactions: JenW
Hmmm i am above 30 but if i were to give advice it would be: no silver (it tarnishes), no branded pieces, no custom jewls. Invest in diamond classic pieces and a nice watch.
1- diamond earrings (could be studs or any other nice design)
2- tennis bracelet (its an expensive piece but with tiny diamonds the price will be lower)
3- diamond pendant (a solitaire preferrebly, or obe matching\going with the simple design of the earring)
4- i would skip the ring and invest more in the tennis bracelet. If not then a dainty ring that goes with the above
5- a nice watch that speaks your type of style. I prefer ones that you can buy different straps for. Chopard happy sport and Chaumet class one are so nice. And i have purchased along the years many colored straps for both

:heart::flowers:

Also to highlight the mistakes i did in my early twinties that i look back to now and wish i didnt.. But i didnt know better about myself back then
I spent a lot on Lebanese custom jewls (which were all the rage back then in where i was, specially for younger girlz in early twinties). All the Tiffany silver jewls. All the swaroviski pendants. All the accessorize store jewls. All those things were wast of money to my eyes now. I wish i had saved for diamonds as i am obsessed now!!

I would go for neutral basic pieces you can wear with everything. Later on you will be able to add more statement jewelry. Ring, tennis bracelet/cuff, earrings and studs and last but not least a necklace.

1) Watch
2) Nice diamond studs or ball earrings
3) Nice and simple necklace
4)Bracelet, something that could go with your everyday look.
5) Ring

I am 26 now and my everyday pieces are a necklace, earring, Apple watch, my wedding ring and promise ring.