Wet spots on a Dooney

bunniluver

The Short One
O.G.
Nov 23, 2011
I have wet spots on my Dooney bag. I read the sight, and is said that as long as it dried, the spots would go away. With all the rain that we have been getting in Florida, I assumed it would go away, but it didn't. Can I do anything, or am I stuck with it? It doesn't bother me too much, I'm just frustrated with Dooney themselves. It got wet on either Saturday and Sunday, picture taken today.

The leathers used in most Dooney & Bourke merchandise are both water repellent and generally scratch resistant. However, some leathers may become discolored when wet, returning to their original colors once completely dry.

It also says that care can be specific to the bag. Mine is the Disney exclusive bag, and I'm unsure about which bag/leather mine would fall under.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-06-29 at 10.36.45 AM.png
    Screen shot 2012-06-29 at 10.36.45 AM.png
    299 KB · Views: 928
The leather used for that patch (and on many bags handles) is natural and untreated. It gets darker over time and also can slightly stain when you get it wet. Dont worry about it, it didnt hurt the bag at all. The whole peice of leather will darken over time and it will even out. I can barely notice it in the close up photo so trust me Im sure other people wouldnt notice it even if you pointed it out!

Will it get as dark as the LV handles get?

Its the same type of leather so yeah it will get a lot darker than it is right now. That will take years though...Im sure you have seen pictures of LV handles that are SUPER dark and some of that is from the leather taking in oils from peoples hands...so its not going to get crazy dark like some LV handles. I had a dooney bag that I used a ton for about 3 years (no longer have it, sold it) and the leather got to "light/medium" brown color. I used it like every day and it still took a long time to even get that tan.

Yes, the leather will definitely get darker over time. It will take a looonnngggg time for the patch to get as dark as a leather handle because you obviously don't touch that leather patch as much as a leather handle. But I have a few Dooney bags that have darkened, and I love the look!

Cute Dooney bag! The wet spots are hard to see in the close up picture, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

p.s. please send some of that rain this way! We are in a major drought with no rain in sight!

Yes, the leather will definitely get darker over time. It will take a looonnngggg time for the patch to get as dark as a leather handle because you obviously don't touch that leather patch as much as a leather handle. But I have a few Dooney bags that have darkened, and I love the look!

I was thought about lightly spritsing the bag to even it out lol. I wont though! I'll just wait for it to fix itself.

Cute Dooney bag! The wet spots are hard to see in the close up picture, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

p.s. please send some of that rain this way! We are in a major drought with no rain in sight!

We were in a major drought as well and mother nature decided to shut us up by throwing us a topical storm lol. Wish we could send it to Colorado... Luckily there isn't any rain anymore. We had rain for a week! It was ridiculous. It was moving at 3 mph! Slow poke.

i have a dooney with the same problem but the spots on mine are much darker and all over the bag i dont remember if i got caught in the rain or what but its awful is there anything i can do

Haha, I have the same bag with stains. I just received a "new without tags" dooney from bay that has water stains (obviously not new). I like the bag and would like to fix it, if possible, rather than return it.

From what I was told be everyone on this thread is that there is no way to fix it. It's also heard this with several other types of leather, like LV. The discoloration will be there until the leather itself evens out and darkens.

I have wet spots on my Dooney bag. I read the sight, and is said that as long as it dried, the spots would go away. With all the rain that we have been getting in Florida, I assumed it would go away, but it didn't. Can I do anything, or am I stuck with it? It doesn't bother me too much, I'm just frustrated with Dooney themselves. It got wet on either Saturday and Sunday, picture taken today.

It also says that care can be specific to the bag. Mine is the Disney exclusive bag, and I'm unsure about which bag/leather mine would fall under.

Sorry...forgot to use the quote feature so you'd know I posted.