Weird symptom: constantly being cold? Help.

1. So, I've noticed for the past few weeks (maybe even months) that no matter what I can't seem to warm up! I go from snowy outside to 70 degree building and it takes me 15 or more minutes to adjust to the new warm temperature when everyone else does it immediately. I'm sitting in my apartment, totally out of the cold, freezing even though the heat is set on at least 70 degrees. I'm starting to think it might be more than just winter weather?

I know it is a sign for hypothyroidism, but I don't think that's the problem. I have no other symptoms of that and I'm not overweight. I haven't been taking my iron vitamins as much as I should and I've noticed the bruising that usually comes along with that and I was thinking maybe the lack of iron could be contributing? It's not really a symptom of low iron, as more than just my hands and feet are cold. Maybe it's nothing? Anyone have any similar experiences/advice (other than to get a blanket and hush up :lol:)?

2. I wish I had some advice or suggestions for you, but I really don't. I'm cold all the time too. I thought it was just poor circulation, but I really don't know what it is. Maybe some people just get cold more easily than others. At any given point in time my fingertips are like ice cubes, my toes, too. I almost always have goosebumps on my arms, no matter if I'm wearing long sleeves, short sleeves, layers, or what. My BF's home is older and quite drafty, so that may be a part of it, but in other places I'm cold, too, not just at home.

I have a space heater next to my desk. I can sit in front of that thing for hours and roast. At night I sleep under an electric blanket after taking a scalding hot shower. I do whatever I can to warm myself up, short of setting myself on fire.

I've had my thyroid tested and there are no imbalances. But I was diagnosed with anemia a decade or so ago and I was advised to take iron supplements, which I was afraid to do. But it could be worse, I suppose. I could have hyperhydrosis and sweat all the time.

Sometimes I think it's just the weather, but I'm just as happy sitting in front of a heater during the summer as I am during the winter.

3. Yes! I definitely agree about the scalding hot shower right before bed followed by the electric blanket on 8 (of 10). The doctor thought I might have hyperthyroidism a few years back and I got tested then and everything came out normal. I guess it might be due to our anemia? I'm glad I'm not alone.

4. I have this problem as well, and my hands and feet are always cold. Recently, my toes started to turn pinkish/reddish... and they've been this way for months now.

I went to a rheumatologist... he was like a detective. Did a ton of blood tests on me to rule things out. He also did vascular studies to make sure the blood was pumping through my veins properly. They still don't know what's wrong.

5. This happens to me. My hands and feet are always cold; my mom is the same way. I know for me it's not lack of iron (but if you need iron try eating foods with it -like raisins- because it's absorbed by your body much more easily). If you've lot a lot of weight that could be why you're feeling the difference, or if you don't eat too many calories your blood pressure could be low.

6. Could you be anemic? People with anemia have a hard time staying warm.

7. I get cold a lot more than other people I notice. I'll be at my brother's house in a track suit and freezing and he's hot and wearing shorts. He has a little more meat on his bones, so that could be part of it. I also might have low blood pressure sometimes.

I just went to Delaware and Philadelphia. I can't imagine EVER being warm there in the winter. I was cold in the house all the time. I had to sleep with a space heater in the room I was in. I just don't do well in cold weather.

8. I have the same issue. I live in a warm climate all year round and I'm a very active person. My hair started falling off about a year ago. Does that have to do with hypothyroidism like u mentioned? Also, when I'm hot, I sweat like crazy.

I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem but someone suggested it's because my body fat is low, which is true.

9. My mom claims that its due to my low body fat and weight...and i think she might have a point. I'm always cold too...i'm a little bit deficient on iron but not to a point where im suppose to be cold all the time. I've noticed that since i lost a few pounds that the cold affects me more than the people around me.
    I cant wait for summer!

10. Did the same thing happen last winter out of curiosity?

Perhaps it could be iron related. Glad your thyroid is normal.

11. I know the feeling! I will feel cold and check the thermostat, and it will be at 78. My hands and feet are especially cold. I do have low blood pressure, so maybe that has something to do with it. I am petite, but by no means underweight. Being cold all the time definitely gets annoying.

12. You just described me! And I'm pretty anemic so you may be too, but iron supplements do nothing for me!

13. Your mom might be on to something. After losing so much weight, I have noticed I am much more sensitive to the cold than used to be. I get teased about it by my family all the time. In the summer, everyone was complaining how hot it was and I was complaining about being cold!

I don't know if this has any connection, but I also have very low blood pressure. Do any of you other "cold people" have the same problem?

14. yeah my BP is usually about 110-115/60-70 and I HATE SALT!!!!

15. Has anyones doctor talked to them about Raynaud's syndrome?

thats what I've got :yes: Always cold, sometimes without reason. Sometimes I reach into the fridge and my fingers and toes swell so much I can't move them and look purple. Mne can be pretty extreme at times, but other people can have less/more severe reactions. Low body fat can make you feel generally cold... but it might also be this.