Weird News:Briton’s freedom ended for freely urinating on Latvian Freedom Monument

1. I wonder if he was drunk? Regardless, it was disrespectful to say the least.

Briton jailed for urinating on monument
    Briton’s freedom ended for freely urinating on Latvian Freedom Monument
    Reuters
    updated 2:10 p.m. CT, Wed., Feb. 20, 2008

RIGA, Latvia - A British man was sentenced Tuesday to five days of detention for urinating on one of Latvia's most treasured monuments.
    A court official said the Briton, who denied the charges, would serve his detention in a police cell after being found guilty of urinating on the Freedom Monument.
    The 138-foot-high monument, erected in 1935, is a symbol of the Baltic state's resistance to foreign rule, which included 50 years of Soviet occupation.
    People detained for acts of disrespect in the past have been fined. One man wearing a kilt exposed his genitals at the monument last year.
    Copyright 2008 Reuters. Click for restrictions.
    URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23258978/?GT1=10856

2. Was he intentionally defacing a monument? I didn't know urinating in public landed a person jail time in other countries....:confused1: Unless he was jailed ONLY because he did it on a monument...hmmm.

3. Well, in the US it would be considered indecent exposure. Besides, he should be ashamed of himself for peeing on a monument anyway. I think people should be more thoughtful and considerate to statues. Like when I went to a certain country, the statues had grafitti on them and were in bad condition. I think people should be more mature about taking care of monuments.

4. Serves him right, he was showing a lack of manners as well as disrespect.

5. Reminds me of a story about Ozzy Osbourne:

In 1982, perpetual stoner Ozzy Osbourne was busted in San Antonio for urinating on the Cenotaph in front of the Alamo (and was promptly banned from the city for 20 years). Some time later, he was asked why, at the time of his arrest, he had been wearing one of his wife Sharon's dresses.
    "Ha!" he replied. "The only way my wife could stop me from disappearing for a week was to take my clothes. I'd end up wearing hers. I'd be delivered back to our apartment in a drunken heap, all f---ed up, and she'd be pissed off because I'd puked down the front of her dress."[SIZE=1

([URL]http://www.anecdotage.com/index.php?aid=18267[/URL])

6. When I visited Thailand, I remember my guidebook saying that it is against the law to insult the King, or even to step on or tear up the Thai currency, because it has the King's image on it. Possessing illegal drugs is also a serious crime that gets foreigners in trouble there. Thailand is actually really lenient with tourists, compared to other developing nations, and will go out of its way not to arrest foreigners (especially from the West or developed Asian nations) because of the importance of tourist dollars, so one has to be pretty careless to get in trouble. You are much more likely to face crooked police in Mexico than Thailand. I wonder what possessed this guy to vandalize an image of the King, since he had to know the penalty, having lived in Thailand for ten years?

7. I know, right?? It just didn't make sense. He'd been there for 10 years and knows the law! I really like going to Thailand. I have family there and I really enjoy visiting them. It's just weird to not respect anyone's laws and traditions when you're visiting their country!

8. ^^ I went to Thailand once. Although I don't really remember much (except being advised not to drink the water and to peel fruit before I ate it) I do remember being in the Temple of the Emerald Buddha. The only thing I remember about visiting there when I was a little girl was seeing the sign saying photo taking was prohibited. I also remember seeing a board with exposed film stapled to it. The staff at the temple were very strict about the no picture policy . . . and understandably so.