Weird email regarding my Coach purse.. Is it a scam or is it okay?

1. I've listed a Coach purse on Craigslist with several large clear photos, and I got this email asking about it. It seems a bit odd to me.. Does it look like a scam to any of you? I'm a bit wary about selling to him.. I'm not sure why does he needs to pay with money order if he can come pick it up? Why does he need all my information? Let me know your thoughts, thanks :smile:

Thanks for your reply.I want you to know that i want the best for both
    of us in this transaction.I'm cool with your final price which is
    $100,please let me know if you will accept payment with Money order as
    it's the only way i can pay you at the moment.

I would have loved to come take a look at it but i am presently out
    of town.Please send me some pictures,i also want to believe it is in a
    good condition.Also,don't fail to reply with your cell number,full
    name and your address where payment should be sent.I want you to take
    the posting off craigslist today and consider it sold to me.As for
    pick up, it will be handled after you receive your payment.

Expecting to hear from you soon.
  2. That is a little strange. I would reply to him that he can pay with money order, but has to do so buy picking up the item. Also, for the money order all he needs is a name. I wouldn't provide him with any additional information, unless you are comfortable giving your cell number, if not tell him that and if you do sell to him, meet at like a starbucks.

Also, I wouldn't take the listing down until the purse is actually sold, money in your hand. Tell him that. but explain, that should he schedule a time to pick it up, you will not accept any other offers until after that time, provided he dosn't come.

Finally, if you posted pictures refer him back to the craigslist posting.

Hope that helps. Bottom line though, if you aren't comfortable with it, DON'T DO IT!!!!

Good luck!
  3. Sounds a little sketchy to me. I would only accept cash payment, although i have never dealt with craigslist so I don't know the typical protocol.
  4. I agree with what someone else said, dont take the posting down until you have money in your hand. I sold a car over craigslist and while I did get emails from some nice, genuinely interested people, I also got insane emails that I just deleted. I remember one person asked me if they could take the car and pay me in installments over 5 years (for $9,000!) I was like what am i, a bank! And i got a lot of other crazy ones like can I have it for free w/ a sob story. I honestly think some people are so bored that they write emails to people on craigslist to humor themselves. If you dont like the email dont go with it, someone else will buy it!
  5. Well said!
  6. I wouldn't even bother replying. That's a total scam. It doesn't matter if you're selling a purse, car, house, whatever, all the scam letters are the same and specifically want to pay in (fake) money orders, stating that they're out of town or out of the country. So, just pretend like you never received that email and wait for a buyer who is truly interested.
  7. I have sold on Craigslist and I only accept cash. Money Orders can be faked.
  8. Thank you for your opinions everyone.. now I'm almost 100% sure it is a scam. I've heard of fake money orders and I'm guessing that's what he'll send me. I've replied back saying thanks, but no thanks!

That's ridiculous! Payments over 5 years? LOL:roflmfao:
  9. This is very true. I work for a bank and recently we have been seeing A LOT of fake money orders and official checks in our area. I would just ignore that email. It sounds very fishy to me.
  10. Ignore it. The whole I'll-send-you-a-money-order-and-I'm-out-of-town thing is one of the biggest scams in eBay to be aware of.:nogood:
  11. Yeah, sounds like a scam to me. I also don't like the weird grammar and placement of punctuation in the email. I've learned that this is a mark of scammers. Commas, periods and such are always in the wrong spaces and sentences run together.
  12. Yea, it's definitely a scam. It is a really common scam actually, the potential buy says they're out of town and sends you a fake money order. Another common one is the buyer saying they are out of town and want someone from an escrow service (or something of that nature) to complete the transaction for them.

13. I agree it's a scam. My fiance listed his computer on craig's list a few months ago and got like 5-6 emails like that. If you have doubts don't even waste your time replying. Wait for someone that will meet you in public (like starbucks) and is willing to pay cash.
  14. ehhh...this person sounds kind of creepy. ive sold on craigslist before and usually these kinds of emails are the ones i ignore. usually scammers will say they can only pay by money order and they ask for your full name, address, and phone #. i wouldnt do go through with it if i were you.