WE Spotlight: Extreme Skinny Celebrities

spendingmore

Oct 13, 2006
EXTREME SKINNY CELEBRITIES WE SPOTLIGHT From hard-hitting, acclaimed specials to the juiciest inside tales of celebrity love and scandals, WE brings you a series of original programs that you just can't miss! This special explores the new and worrying headline-grabbing cult of the skinny celebrity and highlights just how much of an epidemic staying thin in the spotlight has become. The lives of skeletal stars including Renee Zellweger, Nicole Kidman, Teri Hatcher, Geri Halliwell, and Victoria Beckham are put under the microscope as experts reveal devastating long term health effects of their calorie counting.

Did anyone see this? It was very interesting. They showed before and after weightloss for celebs like Nicole Richie, Victoria Beckham, Nicole Kidman, etc. They also had a doctor who said that most of these women if they keep up their super skinny ways, won't live past 60. Also, they showed how they will age. Scary.

I saw it, and I hope they will repeat it. It is just the kind of "wake-up call" that far too many women and girls, the vast majority of whom are neither models nor actresses, need to see.

Most of us, myself included, have been affected to some degree or another by this twisted, mysogynistic, self-hating and deadly notion that thin is the standard of beauty, that slender - preferably tall and slender - women are more beautiful, more desirable, more attractive, etc than plump or even average-sized women.

Now we hear of little girls seven and eight years old already developing a warped body image, worrying that they are too fat, and there is an entire industry of weight-loss miracle solutions, as expensive as they are spurious, don't even let me start on this subject. Let me just say that liberating myself from the notion that I would be more attractive if I looked like Cheryl Tiegs was one of the greatest blessings of my life!

I'm going to search on my digital cable to see if it is playing again. I would love to see it. HBO had a special called THIN. It wasn't about celebrities but regular people with eating disorders. Scary is the right word.

But to be truthful - I just don't get it. I love to eat and enjoy food too much. I can't imagine ever being smaller than an 6. When I got down to a 6 my face just looked too thin. Now I'm an 8 and very curvy. I know I'll never be a "stick" and that's good enough for me.

Thanks for posting!

The aging process was rather horrifying. They looked disfigured. Acting careers are short lived. By the time those ladies hit their fifties, they will no longer be in demand and can spend their days plumping up and watching themselves on television.

It's scary ... There was a point in my life when I was at 94 lbs (I'm 5 ft 8 in) and after being that way for 8 months, I simply started eating because I missed my food so much. I CANNOT not eat, I LOVE food. I can't even imagine what these people are going through by counting calories. I know when I did that, it made me irritable and cranky.

I would love to see this, too. It makes an average girl like me feel a little better about myself in comparison, because I'm happy with who I am, and I won't look like I'm 60 years old when I'm really 40. Yay!