waxy leather vs soft buttery leather?

monablu said:
happy monday everyone! I was at a friend's this weekend and checking out her balenciaga collection, and I noticed that some of them were a melt-in-your-hand type of leather while other colors were a more stiff waxy crackled kind of leather.

I really do want a city, but want an apple green in the buttery soft leather - is there such a thing??

Yep,
see mine. It is waaayyyy soft and buttery!:love:

Attachments

• DSC03357.JPG
    DSC03357.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC03353.JPG
    DSC03353.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 46
monablu said:
all these pics were collected on this site so I am assuming they are all authentic, so can someone help train my eye so that I don't get burned :smile: ?

ok so this one looks really soft to me:

while this one looks a bit stiff/waxy to me:

and then this one looks soft again!

and then yet again, this one looks waxy to me again -

I am determined to get an apple city bbag but need to really educate myself on how to go about selecting one because I think the only way I will find it is online and that is pretty scary to me after my horrible ebay experience.

Just to let you know,
the 1st 2nd and 3rd pictures you have are mine:biggrin: The first pic is of my apple first, and the second and third pics are my city bag. Both pics are the same bag. Both are super duper soft and buttery, its all in the lighting;)

esiders said:
All of those pictures of the apple green bag look butter soft to me. If you want to see what "waxy" looks like...take a look at my 06 cornflower. Can you see the difference between the leather of the cornflower and the red-rouge bag? The leather doesn't even feel the same. And I have no idea of the red-rouge from Fall 05 is the old or new leather. :wacko:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34/esiders/StyleDiary/DSCF1135.jpg

esiders, is that an 03 rouge? Ooohh the leather looks heavenly :love::love::love:

hatikuh said:
esiders, is that an 03 rouge? Ooohh the leather looks heavenly :love::love::love:

It's from Fall 05. I get confused when people say that Balenciaga changed the leather for the Fall 05 line...the leather on my Fall 05 bag is lovely, I can't even imagine what the leather was like on the older bags! :amazed:

english_girl_900 said:
^^ Some of the pre-fall 05 bags (of which rouge was one I believe) still have the old smooshy leather.

No way... really??? All of pre-fall 05 rouge or just some of them? If so I'd have to start to keep my eyes open for 05 rouge city!! Wait, pre-fall 05 rouge is the bordeaux? :cry: Ohh I was hoping it would be the fall 05 rouge theatre

hatikuh said:
No way... really??? All of pre-fall 05 rouge or just some of them? If so I'd have to start to keep my eyes open for 05 rouge city!! Wait, pre-fall 05 rouge is the bordeaux? :cry: Ohh I was hoping it would be the fall 05 rouge theatre

Are you looking for the shade of red like the bag in my avatar? If so, it's from either pre-Fall or Fall 05 and is made of the old leather. At one time, the color was rouge-red, now I think it has a different name.

I have to say that I like the Fall 05 leather (plus the amount of variation within the season is so great that I too have difficulty knowing what people are talking about in terms of old versus new leather). I think that sometimes it's important to see the leather in person if you have strong feelings about the amount of distressing. But, really, it's the design that I love. I like ALL the leathers. The color is more important to me, personally, than the variation in the leather.

I used to think that color was more important than feel, but as I get older I find that I will get much more attached to a bag if it feels good on me rather than looks good on me - you know?

for instance, I have 2 gucci bags from this season - both are the horsebit totes, one in the pigna print (which I originally got for my mom because she liked the patterning) and one regular mono print with white braided handles for me - but what ended up happening is that I grew attached to the pigna because even tho it wasn't the cutest, the material was just so soooooft and the mono print is just so scratchy!

I also like the LV perfo bag much more than the old school mono speedy because it seems that the perforation actually allows air to circulate between the canvas and it makes it much more soft to the touch rather than the stiff mono canvas that has no softness to it in comparison.

so yes, I want a smooshy leather balenciaga lol. which other spring-summer like colors come in that texture? nothing too dark or fall-like please... :smile:

ranskimmie said:
Just to let you know,
the 1st 2nd and 3rd pictures you have are mine:biggrin: The first pic is of my apple first, and the second and third pics are my city bag. Both pics are the same bag. Both are super duper soft and buttery, its all in the lighting;)

ya I see that now - plus i guess it depends if the bag is hanging from something or if its full or empty - how come these bags are as tempermental as we women are??? LOL!

btw LOVE LOVE all your apple bags!! Delishyumminess