waterproofing/protecting suede

1. Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum and I'm starting off by searching for a little help. About a year ago I received a Coach bag as a gift. Anyway, the entire thing is a dark pink and the bottom was dark pink suede. The suede is now TERRIBLY dirty and I'd like to clean it up as much as possible before I tuck it away again. What would you reccommend using? Or do you think I'd be better off taking it somewhere for cleaning? Thanks so much!

[​IMG]

2. Suede is hard to clean... You could get a suede brush--they're available at shoe repair stores and in some department stores that carry shoe products. You use them to "brush" the suede, but you're also removing some of the dye that's on the suede at the same time...

It might be best to consult a professional leather cleaner, but my guess is that they maybe hesitant to touch the suede since it's likely to fade...

3. Timberland has this suede brush. It looks like a bunch of rubber S's attached to a wooden handle. It works and is fairly cheap like $8. Just be careful not to rub too hard. I use them on my beige suede shoes (not sure why I thought these shoes were a good idea, since I always drag my feet).

4. Thank you so much! I think I might bring my bag to a leather cleaner's and see what they can do or might reccommend... otherwise I'm all for the suede brush. I guess if I don't get it all off it's not a big deal. Thank you though! :biggrin:

5. has anyone actually had any success using a suede brush? I've never had any luck either trying to brush or have suede cleaned....

6. Someone asked this question on the Prada/Miu Miu forum so I thought I would see if anyone knew over here:

Is there any spray or cream you can use to waterproof suede?

Thanks guys! :smile:

7. Well I am in the Coffer-Club now....:wlae: ...and I just treated my bag with a spray that I have used many times before on leather, suede and fabric.

It's made by Kiwi (the company that makes shoe polish) and I have used it for suede shoes before.

I just sprayed a super fine mist all over the bag (and the interior flap and pocket flaps) and it's hanging to "dry" overnight.

The color didn't darken as I sprayed, the mist is ultra fine. I will let you know how it comes out tomorrow.

Man... the fumes, though!:yucky:

8. Thank you so much! :heart::heart::heart:

9. milonguera, how did that bag turn out? (just bought a suede bag and was wondering the same thing as Audrey :smile:
    Also, anyone know if the waterproofing would prevent color transfer to my clothes?
    ...it's a BRIGHT red bag!!!

10. I saw some sude spray at the shoe store. You could get one there and I'm sure it will work fine for your bag expecially when we're all rougher with our shoes.

11. I don't use a spray but I do use a suede brush and bar. (available at Wilson's Leather for around $7)

12. I have a suede bag that needs cleaning - can I get it dry cleaned?

13. there has to be somebody on this forum that has a dirty suede bag that had to be cleaned. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

14. hi there. does anyone know about suede protection? can you spray anything on a suede bag to keep it nice and make sure it doesn't get ruined? if so does anyone know of a good product to do that? i have a few suede bags i'm a little worried about. thanks!

heather

15. I've never had a suede bag because ive had lots of suede shoes that have always become gross. Seems like the suede protection makes all my shoes hard and crack. they have been better off unprotected.