Water Intoxication: Man, 35, Dies After Drinking Too Much Water

1. When you hear of someone drinking themselves to death, most of us assume it's alcohol-related. But that wasn't the case for a 35-year-old man from the U.K., the Daily Mail reports.
    An investigation into how Shaun McNamara died revealed that he drank himself to death after consuming too much water. His body was found on the floor of his bathroom last September.
    At first, doctors thought McNamara had suffered a heart attack. It was not until an autopsy revealed that he had downed so much fluid, so fast, that his brain had swollen, the Mail reported.
    "In 35 years as a pathologist I have never come across such a case," said Dr. Ian Reed, who carried out the autopsy.
    Water intoxication, also known as hyponatremia, normally is linked to marathon runners' drinking too much water after a race. When this happens, there is so much water in the body that it dilutes vital minerals such as sodium down to dangerous levels. This can lead to confusion, headaches and in extreme cases fatal swelling of the brain, according to the report.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,327012,00.html

2. very sad... I heard another story years ago about a high school girl that was on a 'water diet' and drank herself to death aswell. I havnt heard of it happening to another person besides her :crybaby:

3. My grandma used to tell me that too little or too much of anything is bad for you. I guess it's true about almost anything!

4. There have been a couple of cases of this in California. One involved a fraternity hazing in Chico. The kid was forced to drink gallons of water and he died. The other case was a radio contest in California. The contest was for a Wii Playstation. A young mother of two tried to win it but died after drinking so much. They fired the DJs and they DA was going to file criminal charges but it got dropped. Really sad.

5. I have heard of this happening before, its very sad as most people would think too much water couldnt hurt you that much.

6. yeah i remember the CA wii case

7. horrible!!

but that doesnt mean the rest of us shouldnt be drinking water.

like the saying goes, always in moderation.

8. I've heard about this type of thing happening before.

9. Wow.. I'd hear about this happening to people doing ecstacy and always thought it was because of the drug itself.

10. Whoa, that is really messed up!

I heard about this. I guess people on ecstacy don't realize how much water they are drinking? Especially people who go to raves, because they are dancing all night long.

How much water is too much?

11. It can definitely happen. I know that in rehab centres and jails, they have to restrict the amount of water people can drink because a person can also get drunk that way.

12. I found this on a website:

It's Not How Much You Drink, It's How Fast You Drink It! The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time. As a general guideline, most adults need about three quarts of fluid each day. Much of that water comes from food, so 8-12 eight ounce glasses a day is a common recommended intake. You may need more water if the weather is very warm or very dry, if you are exercising, or if you are taking certain medications. The bottom line is this: it's possible to drink too much water, but unless you are running a marathon or an infant, water intoxication is a very uncommon condition.

Although I have a friend at work who drinks water all day and was told her potassium level was low because she drank so much water!

13. Yes I heard of this before, very sad!

14. I remember these cases.., was very sad. Also heard of a death row inmate drinking himself to death as a way to commit suicide, but I can't find the article I read it on now.

And yes, drinking too much water will cause you to lose potassium, so eat some bananas or potatoes... both high in potassium. Chips don't count I think... :p

15. This is so scary