Washing china dishes in the dishwasher?

I agree - no china in the dishwasher for washing...

Since we have a ton of plates / etc to wash, i put them in the racks of the dishwasher to sit and dry a bit before breaking out the towel and putting them away. Good space saver, since my normal dishrack can't hold that many items.

That is an EXCELLENT IDEA!!!! :tup: Air dry is better than wiping dry anyway! Thanks, I'll have to do that, I NEVER would have thought of that on my own and it should have come to me - doy! :rolleyes: I guess I never have an empty dishwasher... could be part of the reason I didn't think of it! :shame:

I have put my china in the dishwasher. I have more than one pattern. The ones I use at the cottage are a discontinued Royal Doulton (Melrose) they have a little bit of gold and none has come off. I also have Minton (Buckingham) that has a thick gold rim. I also put it in the dishwasher,and in fact have paperwork from Minton saying it is dishwasher safe. They suggest Cascade powder which is all that I use. I also put my silver plate flatware in the dishwasher as I use it for every day. It has been problem free. I use a Lenox disontinued(Bellevue Sea-Green) everyday and always put it in the dishwasher. It has gold also and still looks perfect. I have put my Rosenthal Versace in the dishwasher without mishap;but I do try to hand wash it. I would contact the manufacturer and ask their advice.

I have put my china in the dishwasher. I have more than one pattern. The ones I use at the cottage are a discontinued Royal Doulton (Melrose) they have a little bit of gold and none has come off. I also have Minton (Buckingham) that has a thick gold rim. I also put it in the dishwasher,and in fact have paperwork from Minton saying it is dishwasher safe. They suggest Cascade powder which is all that I use. I also put my silver plate flatware in the dishwasher as I use it for every day. It has been problem free. I use a Lenox disontinued(Bellevue Sea-Green) everyday and always put it in the dishwasher. It has gold also and still looks perfect. I have put my Rosenthal Versace in the dishwasher without mishap;but I do try to hand wash it. I would contact the manufacturer and ask their advice.

if the china manufacturer says it's safe, then i'd go for it. however, since the OP is talking about vintage china manufactured before people had dishwashers, there's no way that it was made to stand up to the heat, abrasion and chemicals.

China is fired at temperatures far greater than any dishwasher can reach. porcelain is fired at even greater temperatures. It doesn't make a difference,regardless of age. Contact the company that manufactured it. Fine restaurants that have fine china in service are not washing their service by hand. I believe that the OP was asking if it is possible to use a dishwasher?
It is,and they can contact the manufacturer for care instructions. Noritake is still in operation.

China is fired at temperatures far greater than any dishwasher can reach. porcelain is fired at even greater temperatures. It doesn't make a difference,regardless of age. Contact the company that manufactured it. Fine restaurants that have fine china in service are not washing their service by hand. I believe that the OP was asking if it is possible to use a dishwasher?
It is,and they can contact the manufacturer for care instructions. Noritake is still in operation.

it's not the heat by itself, but the heat combined with the ABRASION and CHEMICALS of dishwashing detergent (hand-washing detergent has a far different chemical composition). Trust me, as someone that knows a great deal about the mechanical workings of appliances, it's not safe. it may have worked for the few patterns that you have, but recommending that any china can be washed in any dishwasher based on your limited experience with YOUR china is not safe at all. if it was safe for everyone, dishwasher manufacturers would be the first to advertise it, but even THEY tell you not to do it on vintage china. just because you haven't managed to ruin your china doesn't mean that others have had the same results; if i remember correctly, people that have had dishwashers damage china have posted in this thread.

and forgive me if i'm wrong, but i believe that many china patterns have decorative elements added AFTER they're fired, and fine restaurants that use fine china are using services that were made with dishwasher guarantees like the one you have. many modern patterns may be safe, but no service manufactured in the 50's was made with a dishwasher in mind.

Amanda's right. I've experimented quite a bit with old dishes I've found at estate and garage sales and different dish-washing detergents. Some of those detergents will just blast the patterns off your old dishes, especially the gold edging. In fact a detergent highly recommended by Consumer Reports totally blasted all the finish off my stainless steel stove-top expresso pot. Holy cow. No more of that. Some of those dish-washing detergents are wicked!

So no china or old dishes or fragile crystal or silver-plated flatware in the dishwasher.

Use a hand-dishwashing detergent like Dawn. And don't subject the dishes to fast changes in hot and cold water temps. That can crack old dishes.

I'll do it by hand... I think I'll like the ritual of it actually. I'm doing everything else from scratch for Thanksgiving, why not doing the dishes the old fashioned way too? Dishes aren't that hard to clean anyway. It's the pots and pans that get me!

Maybe yours was made with dishwashers in mind. Pretty sure mine wasn't. it was bought in Japan from a military man during a leave during the Korean war. She got two sets - her brother got one too, so the one I have never got used. If you can believe this, the ENTIRE 95 piece set (12 settings, 7 piece sets plus serving pieces) was only $60!!! I about died! I snatched that up so fast. I can't buy plastic plates for that price!!!!

So, in theory, I can say, "well this set only cost me $60 so whatever, but I could never REPLACE it for that price and I love the simplicity of it - unlike my MIL's modern (80s) pastel big flowery china (blah! - sorry no offense! LOL)

So, by hand it will be. I'll start washing them in sections - dinner plates this night, bowls this night, coffee cups and saucers this night, etc.

my father brought home a similar set from Japan, when he was overseas (Vietnam War) it is the most lovely set...you can put your hand up to it, and nearly see through it...it is such beautiful china. it just has a simple silver band on it...but such wonderful quality.

if yours is similar, i would not put it in the dishwasher...it is probably very fragile, or maybe just finely made

i Hate doing dishes at the holidays, I just use my everyday dishes...they are Williams Sonoma ceramic pieces, and look lovely anytime.

Sadly, my china and silver sit in a cabinet. I just don't have the time or effort for them.

I put my fine china and crystal in my dishwasher. My china is considered dishwasher safe and my dishwasher has a china/crystal cycle. I do not use any detergents with citrus in it, which is highly acidic (whether it be for handwashing or the dishwasher.) I just make sure the plates do not rub against each other, which often causes the pattern/gold to wear away.

BUT, I can still get replacements for my china and crystal. If I was using a set that was not easily replaceable, I'd probably hand wash the items...with a soft cloth or mat at the bottom of the sink. :yes: