Walking v. Running

1. For those who have worked at losing weight in the past, which did you find helped you lose the most weight? Walking or running? I'm really curious about this. My personal trainer wants me to start running and I am hesitant about it, but walking isn't really helping me to accomplish the goals I wish to accomplish.

2. any type of cardio workout will help you lose weight..our bodies are so use to walking that it doesnt help us at all (losing weight) ..so running would be better

3. For me, walking was key, especially in a hilly neighborhood, and at a brisk pace, arms moving. A few years back I walked about 5-7 miles a day in my new neighborhood every day and dropped about 35 lbs in 5 months or so. For me, running is a little too hard a toll on my knees for an extended period of time. With walking it takes longer but I think that's better for cardio anyway.

4. Running! Hands down! I ate whatever I wanted as a runner (though you naturally back down from greasy/fried foods as they weigh you down) and it kept me at 122lbs, and I'm 5'8". To get the same benefit from walking (if you have knee problems, for example) you need to walk very quickly. No leisurely strolling, and pump your arms.

5. For me, I could not keep to running. I ended up walking most of the time when I went to the track with the intention of running......
    Walking didn't help me much. It might have prevented me from gaining more but it didn't help me loose.

I had to change my diet.

I would say a combination of an adjusted diet and cardio would work better.

6. Maybe it varies by person, but as a former runner and a current walker, I think the benefits (for me, anyway, are the same). I should add, though, that I am an extremely active person. I take several dance classes a week and stretch class three times a week.

I think the important thing is to do something, whether it's running, walking, bicycling, swimming, dancing, etc. or some combination several times a week consistantly.

7. I guess running might be more beneficial, but really what you eat is going to have the biggest effect.

I used to run every day. I stopped because it started bothering my knees. I had seen my dad have arthroscopic knee surgery and he was a pretty serious runner. Now ten years later my dad has had a knee and hip replacement and can barely walk. I haven't run since then. I now probably weigh 5 pounds less then I did when I ran a lot. I do walk and do pilates and weight training. But I haven't run for at least 10 years and it hasn't seemed to make a difference. What does make a difference is what I eat.

8. Wow. That is really serious. I'm sorry to hear that.

Well my trainer is going to make me do a walk-run type of thing. She will have me walk for a minute, run for a minute, and so on. But I definitely am learning to watch what I eat. It has been VERY hard, but I'm getting better at it.

9. Speedwalking on the treadmill ( incline ) has worked best for me to maintain my weight. 1 hour a day and sometimes 1 1/2 hours if I'm feeling energized. I would like to run but has no one to do it with.

10. ITA :yes: Any kind of routine combining cardio and strength training, if kept up regularly along with a healthy diet, will help you achieve your goals.

I started running because I got bored of other forms of cardio. I was up to about 18 miles per week when I developed an overuse injury. My illiotibial (IT) band flared up from overuse. I had to drop running completely for 8 weeks and go to physical therapy twice a week, ice the area and stretch twice a day. I was never able to go back to even just 18 mpw when I started running again. Now, I do sprints on the treadmill for HIIT (high intensity interval training) work for no more than 30 minutes total, and I run a total of maybe 5 mpw, either in one long run or split up into 15 to 30 minutes, a few times a week.

Running is a good form of cardio, but don't overdo it. Start slowly and make sure you have your form down. Get fitted for proper running shoes - this makes a huge difference. And make sure you cross train, whether it be walking, cycling, elliptical, taking a class, or other forms of cardio, to give your joints and your body a break.

Good luck!

11. Back in March? or sometime around then I began going from not working out at all to running five times a week, and it f'd my hip up. Half the time i was limping around, and just now got into physical therapy. It could be tendonitis or a small fracture, they're not sure, but now I have to do strength excercises for my hip as well as stretching. So take it easy on the running if you do end up doing it, and like others have said don't overdo it! Because as you can see it can be counterproductive.

12. I read that very brisk walking can almost burn as many calories as running. Just take your pulse at random points of your run/walk and see which one keeps you at your THR.
    Re running...I think too many people jump into running, when you should ease into it. Running is rough on your body, but only if you don't let your body get used to it. I used to have pain in my knees and back, but after taking it slow, and letting my body heal for a couple of days before I ran again, I got past that, and now, going for a run make me feel better and my joints/back hurt less. If you run and you're actually hurting..like joints or shin splints, stop. Stop right there and walk. Then let your body heal for a couple of days. It's about running smart, not fast.

13. my dad eased into running but he ran for years and very consistently. it ruined his knees. It can be very hard on your joints but some people don't seem to have that problem. I guess it has part to do with genetics.

14. NG, I'm so glad to hear you are working with a trainer. I tried running when I was in my 30's ("jogging" was all the rage). I found it hard on my joints and eventually had knee surgery. Granted, I'm older, but I do very little high-impact exercise (also my back can't take impact). My main cardio is walking and a recumbent stationary bike.

Try to find a compromise with your trainer so your joints aren't in jeopardy, but you're still revving your metabolism. Good luck!!!

15. I personally like running more, and have run for more than 15 years now. I feel a much stronger sense of satisfaction and stress release from running. When I walk, I feel I'm not getting anywhere very fast so usually just start running. But it's each to their own. Now I'm in my 30's I can't go as fast, and go to the chiropractor regularly for my back, so I don't know how many more years I will be able to continue.