Vuitton questions: misc.

sakuraicedtea

Jul 9, 2006
Ok here are questions that I have that are just randomly coming out of my head now that I have 11+ Vuitton collection.

I. I forgot why is it bad to store your bags/accessories in their dustbags inside their boxes?

II. What am I supposed to do with vernis if I don't want color transfer but am scared of discoloration from sun exposure (catch-22?)

The last couple of questions ask about repairs/vintage items

III. If I just sent three vintage items to be repaired by vuitton and I have another item that its zipper just broke, should I hold off from sending it in to vuitton because I might get blacklisted as a secondary market person? (I just recently got into vuitton so I have very limited history with vuitton purchases in their computer. I don't sell any vuitton).

IV. One of the bags I just sent to Vuitton was unrepairable (apparently the SA couldn't recognize it and rightfully so, it was made in the early 80's) even though its in excellent condition except for the state of the zipper. Zipper is intact (including zipper holder) but what is missing is that the cloth between the zipper teeth and the canvas has frayed and a large hole is there. Do you think it would look too fake if I just sewed the hole? (Even though I know its real)

. I forgot why is it bad to store your bags/accessories in their dustbags inside their boxes? Bags need to breathe, they can get damp, and develop mold in there boxes, worse case.

II. What am I supposed to do with vernis if I don't want color transfer but am scared of discoloration from sun exposure (catch-22?) Just store in your dustbag.

The last couple of questions ask about repairs/vintage items

III. If I just sent three vintage items to be repaired by vuitton and I have another item that its zipper just broke, should I hold off from sending it in to vuitton because I might get blacklisted as a secondary market person? (I just recently got into vuitton so I have very limited history with vuitton purchases in their computer. I don't sell any vuitton). I never thought about it, not having to repair multiple bags...something to consider, you could always say you just inherited a batch of bags, but that would be a one off thing.

IV. One of the bags I just sent to Vuitton was unrepairable (apparently the SA couldn't recognize it and rightfully so, it was made in the early 80's) even though its in excellent condition except for the state of the zipper. Zipper is intact (including zipper holder) but what is missing is that the cloth between the zipper teeth and the canvas has frayed and a large hole is there. Do you think it would look too fake if I just sewed the hole? (Even though I know its real) Yes, If vuitton can't do it, you try a qualified shoe / leather repair shop...if vuitton has already declined to repair, you have nothing to worry about, in voiding your warranty.

Great questions! I've always wondered that about repairs, too, since I have a limited history myself (but I'll just use the excuse, "It's from an older friend."). Hehe.

. I forgot why is it bad to store your bags/accessories in their dustbags inside their boxes? Bags need to breathe, they can get damp, and develop mold in there boxes, worse case.

Does that mean you shouldn't store ANY bag in their case in the boxes?? cause i have my gucci belt pouch in the bag and in the bag but its in my room, so is that ok??
thanks!

. I forgot why is it bad to store your bags/accessories in their dustbags inside their boxes? Bags need to breathe, they can get damp, and develop mold in thier boxes, worse case.

Does that mean you shouldn't store ANY bag in their case in the boxes?? cause i have my gucci belt pouch in the bag and in the bag but its in my room, so is that ok??
thanks!

Correct, you should store anything in their boxes. I know it's hard, especially LV, because the boxes are so darn great!

Dampness is really bad for leather, that's why you see those silica packets in with bags and shoes.

My SA's advice is to not keep the bags for too long a time in their dustbags. Take them out once in a while to simply check on them, air them a little and clean away dampness (if any). I use a dehumidifier pack with my bags even though I store them away in their dustbags and I keep silica gel packs with some of the smaller items.

III. If I just sent three vintage items to be repaired by vuitton and I have another item that its zipper just broke, should I hold off from sending it in to vuitton because I might get blacklisted as a secondary market person? (I just recently got into vuitton so I have very limited history with vuitton purchases in their computer. I don't sell any vuitton). I never thought about it, not having to repair multiple bags...something to consider, you could always say you just inherited a batch of bags, but that would be a one off thing.

I didn't want to start a whole new thread, but does anyone know if LV actually checks your history prior to shipping off the bag for repairs? Because I've had no problems the first time around and I don't get charged until I get the bags back, but if I want another bag repaired and I didn't buy it directly from them....?