vogue1966's informative guide to MJ bags

1. A lot of members here ask about MJ bags, Vogue1966 has a very informative page. Copied the styles explanation here, check out this link for all the details.
    http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=vogue1966

THE FIVE BASIC STYLES (a/k/a The "Classic" Collection)

There are five basic Marc Jacobs handbag styles, which are produced every season. These are usually referred to as the "Classic Collection." The main difference in these styles from season to season, are the colors. During the first two years of production, the Classic Bags were made with brass buckles & hardware and were lined with suede. Nickel-plated silver hardware and silver padlock pockets replaced the brass during the third season. Canvas linings replaced suede in the Classic Collection, although a few styles, produced exclusively each season as limited edition bags, were still lined with suede. Suede linings in the Classic bags made a comeback during the 2004 Fall/Winter line, and buyers now had choice of canvas or suede lining in most of the Classic styles. The 2004 Fall/Winter collection also produced a limited number of Classic bags with brass padlocks and hardware. A preview of the 2005 Spring/Summer line promises a comeback of brass buckles/hardware, as well as a few styles with silver buckles/hardware. The Marc Jacobs Classics are made of extremely soft Italian calf leather. Sometimes the texture is described as "buttery soft." The leather tends to have an "uneven" grain, giving every bag its own unique appearance. You'll never find two MJ bags exactly alike when it comes to the leather. Some bags may be smooth in areas and "rippled" or "grainy" in others. This is what makes each individual bag distinct in its appearance. The classics are NOT made of pebbled leather, but there have been fake bags produced using a pebbled finished leather. All of the zippers & hardware are engraved with Marc Jacobs’ name in a rounded, smooth lettering and include a nameplate inside the bag with the Designer's name. Marc Jacobs uses the "riri" brand of zippers on most of its bags, including all of the Classics. A few style are made with LAMPO zippers, with more styles being produced each season with these types of zippers. The name of zipper brand can be found on the backside, or underneath, on the part of the zipper that faces the inside of the bag. Many of the fake bags that have been found are made with the YKK brand of zippers. There have been a few fake stella bags with the riri marking, but this marking has appeared on the top part of the top zipper only & not the backside of ALL the zippers. Although some Marc Jacobs styles include a leather key fob & strap, they do not come with leather tags or a "sample" piece of the leather attached to the bag. This is usually a warning sign that the bag is fake.

The Marc Jacobs Classic Collection includes the “Stella”, “Sophia”, “Venetia”, “Multi-Pocket” (which is available in two sizes) and “Cammie” bags. The newest member of the Classic Collection is the "Blake" which was introduced during the 2004 Fall/Winter season. These bags are released every season in new colors. The only continuous colors are black, and more recently, white. In addition to the Classic Collection, new styles are released each season, in a variety of shapes and sizes. Most of these “Limited Edition” bags are lined with suede. All of the bags are released in approx 5-6 colors each season with names such as “Geranium”, “Honeydew”, “Berry”, “Cucumber”, “Petal Pink”, “Seafoam Blue”, "Bark", "Rose Quartz", etc. They're never referred to as simply blue, red, pink, green, etc. Occasionally, a new style produced for one season may be carried over into the following season (an example of this are the “Quinn” and “Anouck” bags – released during the Spring/Summer 2004 season, and carried over into the Fall/Winter 2004 season). The most commonly counterfeited styles are the Stella, Sophia, Multi-Pocket, Blake and the Venetia bags. However, there have also been several fake Quinn, Blake, Satchel and Anouck style bags.

STELLA – [SIZE=-1]The Stella bag is the largest (and most popular) of the classic collection, measuring approx 15” across, 11” high and 4” deep. There are two front pockets with silver padlocks, a front zippered pocket, a full zip top opening which unhooks at one end to make an open-top tote (although this season saw the release of a zip-top opening which does NOT unhook), an inner zipper wall pocket, and double adjustable shoulder straps with large square buckles and belt loops. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]SOPHIA – [SIZE=-1]The Sophia is a hobo shaped shoulder bag, and is sometimes referred to as “stella’s little sister.” The bag is approx 13” across, 9” high and 3” deep. There are two front pockets with silver padlocks, a front zippered pocket, a main center section with an inner magnetic snap closure, two outer zippered sections (one slightly higher on the bag than the other) and a single adjustable shoulder strap with large buckles on each end. All three zippers on a Sophia bag are riri zippers and the markings can be found on the backside, on the part that faces the inside of the bag.[/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]MULTI-POCKET BAG – [SIZE=-1]The multi-pocket bag comes in two sizes. The smaller size is approx. 9” across, 8” high and 5” deep. The larger size is approx. 13” across, 12” high and 5” deep. Both bags have two front pockets with silver padlocks, a pocket on each end with silver padlocks, a full zip top opening, an inner zipper wall pocket and a single rolled leather shoulder strap which attaches to the bag with thick silver O-rings. Both the top zipper & the inner zippered pocket should have the riri markings. The difference between the two (besides their size) is that the larger bag has four silver feet on the bottom of the bag to protect it from dirt & damage. [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]VENETIA – [SIZE=-1]The Venetia is a larger "doctor" shaped handbag with a slightly rounded top, considered by many to be the most sophisticated style of the Classic Collection. It measures approx 16” across, 12” high and 4” deep. There are two front pockets with silver padlocks, a full zip top closure which overhangs approx. halfway down each end of the bag, a wrap over strap (or belt) which has the illusion of wrapping itself all the way around the bag that hooks in front with a large silver buckle & slips through a belt loop, an inner zipper wall pocket, a "pouch" pocket which snaps closed with an open wall pocket directly behind the pouch pocket, double rolled leather carrying handles which connect to the bag with large silver O-rings, and five silver feet on the bottom of the bag to protect it from dirt and damage (one in each corner with one in the center). The silver Marc Jacobs nameplate should be attached to the flap of the inner "pouch" pocket and again, the top zipper & inner zipper should be riri zippers.[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

2. WOW! Thanks for the info! I have a little notebook where I keep all my handbag notes, receipts, product tags, wish list, etc. I will include this too.

3. Just my OCD, but shouldn't the title read, 1996 instead of 1966? :lol: I don't think MJ was even born yet in 1966.
    Thanks for the great article!

4. I just copied/pasted some of the contents from ebayer Vogue1966's incredibly informative page (the best/only resource on MJ styles). I'm not sure how the year came about in the userid. =)

5. This is a great page and helped me to find an authentic used MJ bag on eBay that I still love and use.