Vintage? When does an LV piece become Vintage? What is ur earliest memory of LV?

1. Hi TPFers!

I've been browsing the authenticate threads lately, out of curiosity and boredom, and come across quite a few people getting 'vintage' LV pieces authenticated. I'm a bit of a newbie, only 21, not 22 til latter half of the year, and my earliest memory of LV was when I was 11 or 12, and my cousin who was 4 years older had boughten what resembles a gorgeous baby blue vernis LV pochette - I saw resembles because I'm not sure if ten years ago, it was called the Vernis line, not because it was fake :p

So my questions are...

When does an LV item become Vintage? Is this when its a LE line and it goes out, or is it a certain age...
    and what is ur earliest memory of LV?

Share all! :woohoo:
  2. hmmm i think vintage (in my opinion) is just for bags that are a lil beaten up, i refer to my Noé as vintage because she has war wounds (hehe)

My earlist LV memory was being with my mum at work at a statley home in the UK. I would sit in the owners closet for hours playing with her bags hehe. I think thats where i get my obsession!
  3. I always believed that the term "vintage" referred to items that were more than 20 years old. That's only my opinion. Perhaps there is no true definition by LV standards.

My earliest exposure to LV was a Mono Noe I received for my 17th birthday. I had no appreciation for the brand at that age, so it just sat in the bottom of my closet. I hope to keep my Vuittons for years, so that they will be vintage someday !!
  4. The first memory I have of LV's was in the 1960's when I started working and buying my own clothes, at that time the price was out of reach for me. But would window shop on 5th ave and think someday
  5. French Co LVs I believe, some of which are styled slightly differently from the current LV models (although they have exactly same names). Called Vintage to explain why they look different, they're not fake, lol.
  6. I have an LV Speedy handed down to me by my mum that's about 14 years old. It's still holding up pretty well except for a little tiny tear:sad:.... But it really is pretty sturdy given that my mum used it so much (abused!:p) and had it as her everyday casual bag.
  7. I think vintage is beyond 20 years old. I remember LV as a teen....I'm 35. I saw my grandma's friend carrying a speedy while visiting grandma in Scottsdale, AZ. I'll never forget the moment......I loved it then and still love the speedy now!
  8. good thread!

I personally would consider an item as "vintage" after at least 10 years. I find it absurd when some mags call something that was released just last season as "vintage" (eg. I think there was a Chanel dress worn by Reese Witherspoon last year to the Globes or Oscar... not sure, but that's not the point lol!) I don't know about others, but when I hear the word vintage it makes me think that it's old or out-of-fashion/style, which in a way is the goal of what the industry wants us to think to increase current sales... :shrugs: Anyway, some vintage pieces are really cute as long as they're well taken care of.