vintage speedies don't have serial numbers?

1. i got my mum's speedy 40 like around last year and its roughly 20-25 years old. it's in battered up vintage condition and the zipper is no longer original because my mum didn't really care if it had a cheap zipper. i later found out that vuitton does not repair bags that were already sent or repaired to a non-vuitton shop.
    :crybaby: :sad: :crybaby:

okay. so one time i decided to check on its serial number. i didn't find one. but i saw two cornoers with the numbers 841 on the left corner and the letters SA on the right. could this be the serial number? or the bag is fake?:sad: :confused1:

i don't really think it's fake though. my mum buys designer stuff so why would she buy a fake like, 20 years ago?:lol:

TIA! :flowers:

2. My vintage speedy has a number like that too....and it is definitely authentic. Does anyone know what those #'s meant back then???

3. Lucky you:girlsigh: Some vintage Speedies do have date code:yes: .Yours sounded right. Addy will be able to confirm this...she knows vintage.Can you post pics of the heatstamp on the leaf and date code?

4. 841 should mean that it's made in 1984 of January.

5. i'll post pics in a bit:biggrin:

6. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the over patina-ized handles
    [​IMG]
    the signature stamping
    [​IMG]
    the saddening zipper
    [​IMG]
    the super worn thingy
    [​IMG]
    and the stained monogram
    [​IMG]

7. according to this number 841,your mom's bag was born in January 1984...

Fakers has been making fake LV for ages, unless LV take the bag apart, there is no way to know whether the bag is real or not. Too bad that your mom's bag has been repaired at non LV shop..

To be honest, from what I see, your mom's bag is real :yes:

8. I agree. I wonder if you just took off the zipper and took it in if they would take it.

9. actually i cover it with a jacketand leave the bag open. :p

sometimes i just want to cut it off. and send it to LV and tell them i just cut the zipper for them :p

10. Wow, the monogram looks pretty good for its age; it's pretty real if you ask me.

11. Yep your bag is definitely authentic, and a great vintage at that :smile: By the way, Date Codes are not serial numbers.

They are just indications of the date and the factory the bag was produced. Not a serial number.

Those made in the USA under the French Luggage Company won't have Date Codes. They only have the yellow paper tag with the LV logo and the French Luggage Co. license printed on it. And these are beautiful and hard to come by in mint condition these days. <lust> These are the special ones where the LV monograms are right side up on BOTH sides of the bag, compared to the ones we see today where the LV monograms are upside down on one side, and made in the good old USA. Hope this helps :smile: