Vietnam was great!!

1. I asked in this thread ( about things to buy in Vietnam.

Well, I came back last week after a very week of seeing visiting Hanoi, Halong Bay, Hue, and Ho Chi Minh City -- though much of it was spent on a bus, or a boat, or an airplane.

Without further ado, here are some pics!!!

First, here's a shot of one of the bays of Halong Bay. We spent several hours on a "jongue" just looking at lots of sights like this. Very Beautiful!!

Two scarves I picked up for a steal, with what Vietnamese money I had left on my last day.

And, lastly, the reason for the existence of this forum, I bought a purse!!! This is a hard to find, hand-made and hand-embroidered purse that I bought for a mere $10!!! Some of my friends paid $5 for theirs but their purses used a cheaper, thicker and single color white thread for the embroidery.

This is a shot of the purse fully flattened and not ready for use.

A close-up of the embroidered detail...

And now she's ready to wear!!!
  2. Wow, cute stuffs..! :love:
  3. Vietnam is on my list of places I want to visit. Did you find the language a problem? Looks absolutely beautiful!
  4. It is beautiful! Congratulations!

Welcome to the pinnacle, the penthouse, the unabashedly elite and insufferably supercilious authentic world of True Purse Snobbery!:supacool:

Now that you have one, you will soon find that you must learn more about the embroidery traditions of Vietnam, and have another, and Oh! Hmong Story Cloth! You gotta have that! And then somehow your reading and looking will carry you over to Sindh, or maybe the Miao lands of far Cathay, and yes, you are an addict, you will snap graciously at skeptics, and proud of it, and before you know it, your closet will be a Global Art Gallery, and hell no you can't stop anytime you want to, and why would you want to, when there are so many far-flung mountain villages and the tents of desert camps, where ladies sit, embroidering, and what they are embroidering should be, must be, hanging from your arm....
  5. Oh wow! It looks gorgeous there!!! and the scarves and purse are gorgeous!!
  6. I'm so jealous! I went with my BF in January and this totally makes me want to go back! We also bought a lot of nice scarves and pillow cases:p. Next time you should visit Nha Trang :smile: It's gorgeous out there as well!
  7. Beautiful!!! I love the scarves and the bag, very unique!
  8. amazing!!! The embroidery on that bag is gorgeous!! :love:
  9. This is TICKLEMETHU! ( I had a name change since then!)

So glad you enjoyed your trip!!!

Post more pics if you can please? :nuts::heart:
  10. The shot of the bay is breath-taking. Thanks for posting.
  11. Cute Purse!
    Gorgeous picture...the scenary in Vietnam looks so magical!
  12. Gorgeous pics!! My husband and I went to Saigon and Nha Trang a few years ago and just loved it. My husband is a tall white guy and said he didn't feel like there was much of a language problem at all. Most of the Vietnamese (in the major cities, not in the country) speak enough English to get by. They even use the US dollar bill as accepted currency. There are still a lot of American vets that live there, plus it's a popular tourist country for Europeans and Australians, so the natives are very comfortable seeing caucasians. :smile: I can't wait to go back one day! I'm glad you had a great trip!
  13. cute purchases. i love the vibrant colors of the scarves.
  14. Beautiful goodies that you picked up :smile: I'm happy to hear that you had such a wonderful trip!

I'm going back in July for 5 weeks and am so excited as it is absolutely beautiful there and much of my family still lives there. However, I am a little weary as my dad was a freedom fighter against the communist government back in the day and had fled here to Canada. Now that we are returning I wonder whether everything will go smoothly... :/
  15. Every year my parents go back to Vietnam to visit my relatives. I haven't been back since I was 4. I'd love to go back this year though, and absorb the culture again. That photo on the water is amazing!!!