Vicious pitbull attacks old lady

I hate it when certain breeds of dogs get stereotyped. Pit Bulls should NOT be banned everywhere. You only hear about them so much because a)some fools train them to be vicious and b)in the event that a pit bull does go nuts on his/her own, he/she will cause more damage because of his/her size. Smaller dogs go nuts on their own too, but you rarely hear about it because a)they often don't cause as much damage due to size and b)it wouldn't be a sensational news story. Pit Bulls are known to be some of the best family pets when trained properly. I have known two and never had a problem with them. I grew up around my uncle's dog and would hug him, have him do his little tricks, etc all the time and I love him. It wouldn't be fair to the people who can properly train the dogs if they were banned.

very sad. even worse for the breed.

pitbulls should DEFINENTLY not be banned, what about those people that own them and take care of them properly?? they should have the give up their beloved family pets because of irresponsible people and breeders?? not fair at all. i know i wouldn't want that to happen to my dogs.

actually, a well bred and well socialized pitbull is GREAT, (one of the best breeds), with kids.

pit bulls get such a bad rap, they can be awesome dogs!

I think some cities that are "banning" pitbulls actually allow licensed owners/breeders to keep pitbulls (not all, but I think at least San Fran is). That way responsible owners can still keep the dogs. I frankly think the breed ban is a good idea with this provision. The average pet owner should not own a pit bull. The dogs are difficult to handle because of size alone and require skilled and dedicated training. If a pet owner only halfheartedly trains and socializes a beagle, it's never going to kill anyone. But pit bulls have and will. JMO.

jillybean307 said:
That's such a sad story. Poor lady.

It's extremely unfair to blame the dog. Dogs are a byproduct of their owners.

Exactly. I always feel bad for the victim, but I also always feel bad for the animal. They're doing what they were taught to do, unfortunately... it should be bad pet owners that are banned, not the animals. :sad:

yeppers, it's true that little dogs can be just as mean, they just don't do as much damage :sad:...i was bitten 2x by an 8 month-old pug puppy once for no apparent reason...and my little bichon was attacked by another older bichon (with a few screws loose) in central park years ago :crybaby:

vanojr9 said:
I think some cities that are "banning" pitbulls actually allow licensed owners/breeders to keep pitbulls (not all, but I think at least San Fran is). That way responsible owners can still keep the dogs. I frankly think the breed ban is a good idea with this provision. The average pet owner should not own a pit bull. The dogs are difficult to handle because of size alone and require skilled and dedicated training. If a pet owner only halfheartedly trains and socializes a beagle, it's never going to kill anyone. But pit bulls have and will. JMO.

So, you would agree that someone could walk in and take my dogs from me?? What would be the ideal owner of a "Pit Bull" or are you referring to an American Pit Bull Terrier, Bull Terrier, Bullmastiff, Pit Bulldog, American Bulldog, Dogo Argentino, or Staffordshire Terrier??? :censor:

First of all...with all the dogs in shelters BREEDING should be banned, unless it is specific to preserving the desired qualities of a breed (NOT referring to 99% of the breeders out there who just wan't to have a litter or so)...we DON'T need anymore puppies...so these "reputable" breeders should be the first to take the cut...there are FAR too many of them.

Once upon a time...the breed was a war hero...just because these Back Yard Breeders raise their dogs by feeding them gun powder and abusing them or letting them live their life on a chain...does NOT mean that it is the dog's fault...blame the owners!

I am 5'7 and about 135 lbs and my 90 lb pitbull/Ridgeback pound puppy (He's 8 now) is sweeter & more well-behaved than any of the Golden Retrievers or Labs in my neighborhood...I have no problem handling him...I also don't have a problem handling my 1400lb horse...

I also have an American Bulldog...he's the most harmless creature ever and it surprises me everytime when someone blames the damn breeds...People don't even get their breeds right!!!! Guarantee that most people that deam "pit bulls" as dogs to be banned...will fail at that "Pitbull Test" miserably...most people do...they know nothing about the nature of any of the breeds...and besides it depends on the owner...not the dog! (Thanks Shyloo for that test!!)

Statistics show that the breed that veterinarians have been bitten by the most are Cocker Spaniels...funny, huh...

Sorry to vent, but it is for reasons like this that I keep my dogs in my house...or my fenced in yard (no one sees them)...because of the way people stereotype them...

I posted this in another thread, but it was a print done by Robert Wallace in 1915 before we joined WWI in 1917...and look at the center dog...

Attachments

• wwIIcolor.gif
    wwIIcolor.gif
    125.8 KB · Views: 3,870
This thread makes me sad. I have a beautiful purple ribbon show dog that is an "American Pitbull Terrier". Do you know that they are not even in the top ten list of vicious dogs? Horrible people train them to fight. They get such a bad rep! I have had him since he was 3 months old. I picked out the breeder that breeds only show dogs although I don't "show" him. I just wanted to know what his temperment would be. I met his parents before he was even conceived!
Many attacks that get blaimed on pitbulls are boxers or other breeds.
There are bad people in this world, but they werent born that way. Neither are dogs.
If a stranger broke in to my home, unfortunately my dog Chicken, would think a new friend dropped by to play with him!
To all the "haters", please do some research =(
Signed, "Chickens mom"
Shannon

So glad to hear we have similar "babies" Shannon...my dogs would welcome anyone into my house!! LOL...I swear...sometimes I ask them what they are good for except just being lazy and taking up my husband's spot in the bed!!!

Kristy

thompk and Shannon, I totally agree with you.

There is no need to ban a specific breed. Here in Germany in depends on the state which breeds may only be owned with testing and a permission, but these breeds are on the lists: American Pitbull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Bullterrier, Staffordshire Bullterrier, Tosa Inu, Alano, Bullmastiff, Dogo Argentino, Dogue Bordeaux, Fila Brasileiro,
Mastiff, Mastino Espanol, Mastino Napoletano, Kangal, Rottweiler, Dobermann and a couple more. It is the unbelievable. The authorities didn't even take the time to reseach the history of these breeds.

It is always a tragedy when people get hurt or killed by an animal and I feel very sorry for the families. Banning breeds won't be the cure though. I have seen a Dachshund rip a deep wound of more than an inch in diameter into my best friends leg when we were children. It would have been even worse if the dog would have bitten her face. So small dogs can cause serious wounds, too.

People just have to take the time to properly train their dogs and it should be the communities job to check on that. If somebody can't handle a dog, refuses to find help in training and the dog is a danger for other people, a new caring home should be found for the dog instead of killing it.

I have one of these dog. He was starved, beaten and probably trained to fight. He even did bite one of his owners (I can't blame him for that). It took a lot of work, but he is worth every minute of training. He is such a loving dog all five cats in our house are still alive ;).

Please don't blame the dogs, blame the owners.

I'm sorry to hear that. It was even my friends parents dog. This dog was crazy and usually not allowed to be around us, but this time he escaped. They had a lovely Dachshund before and they had another one after the mean one died and fortunately she was never scared of the breed.

Maybe one day you will meet a lovely Dachshund that will help you get over your fear (even though I would have been terrified, too).

I agree with thompk. A reputable breeder is able to breed for temperament and desirable characteristics. People are breeding these dogs and are also training them to be vicious. A dog can only behave as it's trained. My dog barks at the dinner table when I eat because I fed her from there once. Dogs are smart and learn easily. If you praise a dog to do something, whether good or bad, it will behave that way. I don't think banning the whole breed from the entire city is the answer.