Very Low Calorie Diets

1. Ok, who hasn't tried a low calorie diet?! And, yes we all know it is very unhealthy and shouldn't be followed. However, my Doctor mentioned to me that he sometimes recommends low calorie diets to patients that have alot of weight to lose, and recommends only a short time 3-6 months. I find it VERY hard to follow a low calorie diet and to exercise? Has anyone had any success with them? :yes:
  2. yes, I would like to know as well.. I am interested in doing it too.. so feedback anyone??
  3. Whenever I diet the only thing that works for me is a LOW calorie diet. I have great success. I do 800-1000 calories. But the key is I do a very high protein, high fiber diet. You have to make those calories really count.

Sample menu:
    1/4 cup of egg beaters= 60 Calories
    2 slices of reduced calorie whole wheat bread = 80 calories
    No calorie butter spray on toast and to make the eggs.

Cheese Stick = 80 calories

South Beach Wraps= 220 calories

Apple = 80 Calories

Salad with grilled chicken LOADS of fresh veggies = 250 calories

Dessert: Sugar Free Pudding cup = 60 calories

TOTAL: 830 Calories

There is alot of protein and fiber.
  4. I had gastric bypass surgery, so keep in mind my stomach is much, much smaller than yours - hence, gets filled MUCH easier - but I've been eating apx 300-400 calories daily (never more than 500) and I've gone from 260 pounds to 150 in 7 months. I also excersize daily - but mostly just free weights.
  5. Thanks for the info Selena, this will help me out quite a bit. I see now I was eating entirely the wrong foods. Do you also exericse?
  6. Congrats goes to you! Thats awesome keep up the good work!

7. No I am not an exercise person at all!!! The key to low cal is to snack. I always feel that 800 quality calories are better then 1500 calories of crap.
  8. Low calorie diets are extremely unhealthy and can lead to disordered eating habits. Anything less than 1200 (and even that is low calorie) causes your body to go into starvation mode. You can feel fatigued, irritated, get headaches, etc. More serious health problems can occur, as well. It doesn't matter if you don't exercise regularly. Your body is suffering because of lack of nutrition, and will hold on to what it can, meaning you will not lose weight. Also, you cannot keep this routine up for very long. As soon as you decide to begin eating "normal" again, you will more than likely gain most or all of the weight you lost (which is typically water weight).

Please, please don't fall into the low calorie diet trap. When I lost weight 2.5 years ago, I started by eating 1200 calories, then 1100, moved down to 1000, etc. I had no energy whatsoever. I was always tired and irritated, and food became an enemy. Then, after reading up on proper nutrition, started consuming more calories (in the 1600-1800 range), and I began to lose weight again after a long plateau. My body had been in starvation mode.

There is no need to drastically slash calories to lose weight. It is not just exercise or just calorie intake that will work - it is a combination of both. Now, if I want to lose weight, I reduce my caloric intake to around 1600-1800/day, never going below that. To maintain, I usually eat around 2100-2300 calories a day. Focus on eating clean, whole, unprocessed foods, and eating enough so that you don't starve yourself. Your body will thank you for it :smile:
  9. Actually, there have been studies, that extremely LOW calorie but with intense nutritional values (that is the key) is shown to extend life expectancy.
  10. ^^^it's VERY important to take your vitamins! My calorie intake is unacceptable, and I know that - but I'm comforted knowing I take my vitamins - B12, multi, iron, and calcium.
  11. Unless someone is extremely overweight and almost bedridden, or a low calorie diet is prescribed under a physician and the patient is closely monitored, an extremely low calorie intake on a prolonged basis can be destructive to your health.

Eating too little can also cause a loss of the menstrual cycle, known as amenhorrea.

12. There is a whole bunch of internet information about the nutrient dense low calorie diets. Its really hard however to eat this way. If you do it properly you are eating a HUGE plate full of food. It was nasty looking though, bulgar wheat, lots of veggies, seaweed, ect. Its a hard thing to suggest, because most people will not eat properly and will have serious health problems from doing that.
  13. These low-calorie diets might be nutrient-dense, but who is going to subsist on bulgar wheat and seaweed? We eat out of convenience (which is why obesity is an epidemic in this country). Like I said, if a low-calorie diet is prescribed and monitored by a physician, if the patient does it, successfully loses weight and keeps it off for good by adopting a healthy food (more calories than the diet) and regular exercise routine, more power to them. But regular people who might need to just shed a few pounds should not dip their calories to an unhealthy level. Falling into this pattern is considered yo-yo dieting. Look at Oprah :p

Losing weight is a lifestyle change. No one can live off of 800, 1000, etc., calories a day. Check out this calculator by the Baylor College of Medicine for adult energy needs. Even if you select that you are rarely active, you'll be surprised at the results. To lose weight in a healthy, safe way, subtract 250-500 calories from the number it gives you needed to maintain current weight.

Adult Energy Needs and BMI Calculator
  14. I couldnt live on Seaweed and bulgar thats for sure!!! :sad: