Vegetarian recipes

1. Anyone have any good veggie recipes? I eat some dairy/ not totally vegan, but just started this regimen and would like some ideas. :drool:
  2. There used to be a magazine called "Vegetarian Times". I don't know if it is still being published, but there were a lot of recipes suggestions in it.
  3. ^ Yup, it's still published.

What kind of foods do you like? I've found that most of the foods I used to like I can still eat after turning vegetarian, I just have to find different ways to make them. For example, I'm a huge fan of Mexican food, so I substitute Morningstar Farms crumbles (soy ground "beef") instead of real meat when making tacos (just add a little water and taco seasoning), or just use beans in burritos and no meat.
  4. Try - it has lots of great user submitted recipes.

I've been very strictly vegetarian for 5 years with some intermittent vegan time - I find that recipes online help, but you will end up going back to what you know and love !
  5. ^^^ITA, great place! I have been a vegetarian for 26 years, I am lacto-ovo, so I eat eggs and dairy but no chicken, fish or meat of any kind. There are loads of good things at that website though, check it out!
  6. also has a vegetarian section.

I'm vegetarian as well, eat fish and dairy/eggs but cooking veg. is so easy, quick and fun, I'm sure it'll be a lot of fun.

Get yourself a good cookbook as well, something practical.

Explore new ingredients as well to add to your diet, this is what I did when I first became vegetarian, it helped a lot and I didn't feel so restricted.

Asian foods/stirfrys are great as you can adapt them to how you want, lots of middle eastern recipes are meatless as well.
    Try new grains like quinoa, bulgur, couscous (whole wheat if you wish) - you can cook these and make salads, or just as a sidedish.

Try new veggies as well, squashes, yams and all sorts of fiber filling vegetables.

Maybe even plan a visit to a natural or ogranic supermarket just to get some ideas. There are a lot of meat subsitutes in stores, try grilled portobello mushrooms to crush those meat cravings (I'm making some tonight!) They're yummy and have such a nice texture.

If you like beans and legumes then you can incorporate them into recipes or even easily sprout several types like mung beans and lentils in less than 48 hours!

Curries are good, try ethnic cookbooks as they have several yummy veg. recipes in them as well.
  7. thanks for the great feedback! Much appreciated! :smile:

I have been experimenting in the kitchen with pastas, rice, beans...made a lovely spinich/ricotta/boca crumbles lasagna the other night and my BF didn't even know it was soy! He was like, 'I thought you didnt eat meat anymore, why is there meat in here? ' LOL Also have roated portabella mushroom caps in the oven (marinated in balsamic vinegar and EVOO), and made them into yummy 'burgers!' so tasty. The hardest thing, I think, will be going to other people's houses for dinner..I don't want to look rude if I don't eat their food. Advice?
  8. I'm on the 'soy=not so great' side, lol. When I was a vegetarian (was one for three years), I stuck to a diet of (besides veggies) whole grains, beans, nuts, and a variety of mushrooms (truly a great meat substitute, especially if you crave a burger...portobello burgers are yummy!) I was a fish/dairy eater also, so I incorporated a lot of tuna (go easy on it though, methylmercury; just remember large fishies that eat many smaller fishies should be avoided), halibut, cod, etc., in addition to crustaceans. Black beans w/onion and some red pepper or chili spice are soooo good with guacamole, sour cream, cheese, and lettuce for tacos/burritos!!! I actually prefer them that way still, no meat, hah! Good luck with your new lifestyle! :smile:
  9. Risotto is a good veggie dish - use wild mushrooms and veggie stock. Also, I love vegetarian lasagna! My favourite lazy no-meat dish is to brown some onions, garlic and mushrooms, add any pasta sauce, add some ricotta if desired, add pasta (try whole wheat!) and shredded cheese, then bake in the oven.
    Grilled portobello mushrooms are so good! Brush them with olive oil and balsamic or make a marinade with olive oil, balsamic, green onions and garlic, then toss them on the grill!
    Personally I hate fake meat and I never really had a thing for red meat so I have said goodbye to things like pepperoni, sausages, bacon, burgers and meatballs.
  10. Sounds great!!
    I know what you mean about visiting people, it's one of the hardest things that I have a tough time dealing with after all these years of being a veg. :push:
  11. Usually I just warn people in advance. Also, I have a no meat touching rule - in my experience, if you say you're vegetarian, people will just give you something with all the meat pieces picked out.. :nogood::nogood:

Sometimes I bring a dish as well, just so there will be something I can eat for sure, and then there's something for everyone else to share !
  12. has some really great vegetarian recipes. My favorite is her Nacho recipe using Boca Chili.
  13. Neat website! Thanks for the tip!
  14. such great advice everyone, keep 'em coming!!!
  15. I agree with, try it out! Also, there is which is great as well :yes:

I've been a vegetarian for 5 years, I don't eat any meat, and i've recently cut off dairy products. I eat a lot of veggie burgers from Yves, they're so good! I make stir-frys a lot using soy sauce, and i'll add in some nuts, like pine nuts or almonds for added flavour which is really delish. Salads are another favorite, especially if you make the dressing yourself! I love using olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and put garlic in just about everything. I try to buy mostly organic/local products, from the farmer's market, or the local grocery stores.

It was a bit difficult at first, I would go to family bbq's where everyone would be cooking steak, we'd have to warn them in advance to save a piece of the grill for my veggie burgers :p and going out to eat was a bit difficult at first, I was shy to ask for meals without chicken. But now it's easy and i'm used to it, most restaurants will be more than happy to make you a vegetarian subsitute!

Hope this helps :flowers: