Food Vegan & Vegetarian Food

Anyone cooking for Christmas holiday? Looking to get some vegetarian ideas since I just started vegetarian again this past summer. When DH & I did it before I made vegetarian lasagna for Christmas but wondering if anyone has any vegetarian traditions to make for Christmas? Thanks kindly:smile:

For Christmas dinner at my house I always make a salad, lasagna, garlic bread and a berry cobbler. Tried and true. :heart::heart::heart:

Reactions: Kendie26
Anyone cooking for Christmas holiday? Looking to get some vegetarian ideas since I just started vegetarian again this past summer. When DH & I did it before I made vegetarian lasagna for Christmas but wondering if anyone has any vegetarian traditions to make for Christmas? Thanks kindly:smile:

Holiday cooking is unheard of in my house -- we majorly mooch off family members or restaurants :sad:

I have made portobello wellingtons using puff pastry dough. I found a similar recipe online. I use caramelized onions also.
http://deliciousdishesrecipes.com/vegetarian-portobello-wellingtons/

I have made portobello wellingtons using puff pastry dough. I found a similar recipe online. I use caramelized onions also.
http://deliciousdishesrecipes.com/vegetarian-portobello-wellingtons/

Wow, this looks so darn good! As you may know, I have been on a portobello and porcini mushroom kick lately (lol). I have never prepared portobellos before so I am not sure how to clean the gills (guess I can google it). I use the same puff pastry dough sometime so at least I am familiar with that. I hope to try it after the holidays. Thanks for the link.

Sorry ladies -- one more pumpkin post. I have 1/2 can (1 cup) of pumpkin leftover from yesterday so I found a recipe that uses 1 cup of pumpkin. (I know I could have just halved other recipes but I am too lazy and math-challenged). This is the Pecan-Pumpkin Drops from The Cooking Light website. I did not have pecan so added mini chocolate chips (me bad). And no buttermilk at home so I used regular milk (again, too lazy to make homemade buttermilk). They are like biscuits or scones. It's not as healthy as Nicole's cookies but overall, not too bad (only 2 tablespoon of brown sugar and 2 tablespoon of butter for 12 good sized biscuits). The best part is that both DH and DD like them. I am pretty excited to add a pumpkin treat to my (small) repertoire.

Attachments

• IMG_0811.JPG
    IMG_0811.JPG
    254.7 KB · Views: 77
Sorry ladies -- one more pumpkin post. I have 1/2 can (1 cup) of pumpkin leftover from yesterday so I found a recipe that uses 1 cup of pumpkin. (I know I could have just halved other recipes but I am too lazy and math-challenged). This is the Pecan-Pumpkin Drops from The Cooking Light website. I did not have pecan so added mini chocolate chips (me bad). And no buttermilk at home so I used regular milk (again, too lazy to make homemade buttermilk). They are like biscuits or scones. It's not as healthy as Nicole's cookies but overall, not too bad (only 2 tablespoon of brown sugar and 2 tablespoon of butter for 12 good sized biscuits). The best part is that both DH and DD like them. I am pretty excited to add a pumpkin treat to my (small) repertoire.
you are on a roll girl with all of your baking! Looks delish:tup:

Reactions: Iamminda
Wow, this looks so darn good! As you may know, I have been on a portobello and porcini mushroom kick lately (lol). I have never prepared portobellos before so I am not sure how to clean the gills (guess I can google it). I use the same puff pastry dough sometime so at least I am familiar with that. I hope to try it after the holidays. Thanks for the link.

I usually remove the gills and stem because they can taste funky and it's hard to get all of the dirt out. You can just use a spoon to pry the whole thing out. This works well for this recipe since you are filling the inside anyway. Otherwise just run it under water to remove any leftover dirt.

I am going to try this! Looks great. I love healthy scones, especially if they are husband approved :smile:

Reactions: Iamminda
have you had any issues with the puff pastry bottom getting soggy? I made beef wellington once and followed the recipe, but the bottom was so soggy I never bothered wasting the time and energy to try again. A vegetarian version sounds really good!
The key is to avoid excess moisture or steam inside the puff pastry. With meat, I am not sure what to do (precook it? but then it would be tough?), sorry I have no idea how to cook meat. With portobellos, you can remove the excess moisture by cooking them a bit first, for wellingtons I would grill them first if you are using the whole portobello and filling it. If you are mincing up mushrooms, then sautee them first until they shrivel a bit and release their moisture.