Varying Monogram Canvas "Sheen"s on LV bags?

My mono zippy is less than 1 month old and so DULL.

Meanwhile, my cerises speedy is so shiny. I called the 1-866 LV # to ask why one mono canvas appeared so different than another mono canvas and they told me that the cerises speedy was made with a higher quality canvas, hence it is shinier.

But now that I am reading this thread, I think it has to do with age. Only time will tell (i.e. if/when my newer mono bags and accessories become shiny and not so dull).

After looking at your pics, to me the Speedy 25 is the one that looks off. My mono bags all have the duller look of your Speedy 30 (and I bought them at the LV store). Are you sure the Speedy 25 is real? If it is real, I think that whatever the previous owner put on it made it shinier.

My Ellipse Sac a Dos, on the back of the bag that rubs against my bag is very sheen and LV logo is very clear but in the front of the bag is not that much. I think the more you use it, the more sheen it will be. I used my Musette salsa a lot more often and it's also more sheen.

Your Speedy 25 must have apple conditioner on the canvas which will add a sheen to the canvas and make it a little more supple. I always put Apple conditioner on at least the edges of the canvas, I swear by the stuff, that applying it prevents the canvas from cracking. There are a couple bags that I did put the conditioner on the entire bag (all the canvas) like my papillon and it looks similar to your speedy 25 photo. If one wants to ever remove the Apple conditioner or sheen from the canvas, one can do so with any mild soap and water, but I personally like a little amount of sheen. Also a bag that is used extensively and for years will also develope a patina to the canvas where a slight sheen will develope this way also. I have some vintage peices that have a sheen from merely age and were this way long before using Apple conditioner.
:okay:

I noticed that the canvas of my speedy 25 was shinier than my eugine wallet when I first got them brand new. I personally think the differrence is not due to age, but due to batch.

Reactions: chantalrose
After looking at your pics, to me the Speedy 25 is the one that looks off. My mono bags all have the duller look of your Speedy 30 (and I bought them at the LV store). Are you sure the Speedy 25 is real? If it is real, I think that whatever the previous owner put on it made it shinier.

Oh no no no, it's definitely authentic. I always thought the LV canvas was like that but she did put on Appleguard as she told me when I asked if it was at all protected because otherwise I was going to look into protecting it. I bought that off eBay a few years ago.

I didn't realize that is what did it, or what can help make it shinier. I am so used to this sheen. I do see it on other LV bags like in pictures and definitely in person. Although in person I don't stare... and haven't been to the LV boutique in years now. I really want to go because I feel SO uneducated about LV now!! Well I suppose by just having one you can only know so much... I definitely need to educate myself!

Reactions: Dijume09
The sheen on your older Speedy 25 is gorgeous and I believe it is because you have been using it for years whereas the newer one have not been really used which is why you are paying close to retail!

My trusty old Reporter GM have this sheen too after I have been using it daily for work. I'm still trying to get my newer but hardly used Keepall to have the same sheen. The sheen comes from our body contact and natural body oils and environmental exposures even if you don't use Applegard or other protecting oils on it.

So use it daily and see the 'changes' as it ages gracefully :smile:

I just have one more question-- to those of you who have bags that are like this, does it seem like the brown of the bag is a different kind of brown, if only slightly? It is part of the difference between one with a sheen and one that is a bit matted, but if you really look at it it's almost like the brown of the matted bag has a bit more of a yellow tone in the deep background brown color.
I hope that makes sense.
That's the last thing I'm really curious about. Thanks!!