Vanity Sizing...

1. I was just reading a thread about Tara R and a few (hilarious lol!!) comments about what size some members are got me thinking..

I have this 'catsuit' (I call it anyway) ..It's this one piece, black, long sleeve-turtleneck thingy that zips up the back..I've had this thing NO LIE for like 20 years lol!!! It's just one of those d*mned things I just don't throw out from season to season..but I DO wear it occasionally...when I have stuff to do outside in the winter..I wear it w/ a black puffer coat & white snow boots when I'm doing my Christmas lights..hauling stuff to our storage shed etc...

MY POINT IS..I noticed today it's a size 6..and NOW I am an XS or a 00/000 zero in some stores...What the?!?!? I am the same weight that I was in high school...115, 5'4"..I'm very thin but I have an atheltic build so I'm not emaciated (oh gawd I hope I don't look like Tara) But what is up with the sizes today? It's ridiculous...SO...20 years ago I was 4-6, now I'm a ) ZERO....What is up with the designers? And what will a ZERO be twenty years from now.....a -12 lol!!! Sorry..just had to comment..Emmy's been into the wine again ..eep!! :nuts:

2. I agree, I think the whole issue is rediculous and has been taken too far. I have read articles about Gap being accused of this. I am sorry but I am not going to shop at one store over another because in store A I am a size 0 and in store B I am a size 2!!!!

3. Ive read about vanity sizing in an article before! I think it was Vogue or Vanity Fair. Anyway, it said that some of todays designers are fiddling with sizes. Meaning someone who would be a size twelve at - could be a size eight at -. The size eight is actually a twelve in most stores, but its an eight in that certain store to make the buyer feel better about their weight! I dont like the idea because if Im xs in - but then a medium at -, I feel like Ive gained weight or get frustrated with sizes in general. So Im not fan.

4. Ive read about vanity sizing in an article before. I think it was Vogue or Vanity Fair. Anyway, it said that some of todays designers are fiddling with sizes. Meaning someone who would be a size twelve at - could be a size eight at -. The size eight is actually a twelve in most stores, but its an eight in that certain store to make the buyer feel better about their weight! I dont like the idea because if Im xs in - but then a medium at -, I feel like Ive gained weight or get frustrated with sizes in general.

EDIT: Sorry about double post! Thought it didnt go through.

5. Oooh, I hate vanity sizing! When a store has to start making clothes in size 00 because 0 isn't small enough, then they should re-evaluate their sizing policies. Gap/Old Navy/Banana Republic are the WORST at this. I'm about 5'6"/125 lbs. and can be anywhere from size 2 to 9, depending on where I'm shopping. Not even clothes that go by measurement are safe--a size 27 jean doesn't necessarily mean a 27" waist, nor do all size 27 jeans fit the same! I just wish for some consistency. Makes it so hard to order clothes online, because you have to guess if the brand fits true to size, or if they vanity size.

6. I think vanity sizing is very real and pretty dumb. Who really cares.
    marilyn monroe was apparently a size 12? I wish Hollywood would go back to her ideal instead of the stick figure tartletts currently en vogue.:yucky:

7. I really hate this! I never know what size I am from store to store! But mens' clothes aren't like this. I think it is a conspiracy engendered by the patriarchy to keep womyn down!!!

8. :tup::lol::yes:

9. Amen! Or more appropriately: AWOMEN!!:yahoo:

Emmy, I was around your weight 20-30 years ago and typically wore size 6-8. Fours were unheard of!!! Hey, you're old enough: Remember the clothing store chain, 5.7.9? That was where we "skinny" gals shopped then. Nothing was under a size 5.

Edit note: HOLY SCHMOKES!!! 5.7.9. shops are still around, but guess what? They stock size 00 now!!! :wtf:

10. ^ I remember 5.7.9! That's where all the cool, older girls at school shopped once they could wear juniors' sizes. Ah, memories.

11. I think vanity sizing is hilarious. " What size can I get you?" "Triple zero please!" I think there should be a universal sizing system, but I don't think that's possible.

12. Gap and Old Navy drive me crazy for their sizing. The stuff just doesn't fit me, what normally would be my size is SWIMMING on me! Same with New York & Company. Their clothing runs big, it might say size two, but it's bigger than that!

13. 5'4" and 115 lbs? And you say you are buying size 0 clothes? Where?

That is exactly my weight and height and I am a size 4 (size 27 jeans). I have only occasionally been able to fit a size 2, and never a size 0/00 in any brand.

14. Vanity sizing is ridiculous....You are shaped how you are shaped. It is sad when you can wear anywhere from a S-L or 8-12 depending on where you shop....

15. Sorry, but I don't feel bad for "00" girls. Vanity sizing is aimed towards people like me-- I would be considered too fat by 90% of people, but it makes me feel damn good to wear a 12 instead of plus size clothes. I realize that it's just a marketing trick, but it honestly makes me feel better about myself. I don't care if skinny people want to flame me for it; I don't feel bad :blah: