VACHETTA on an MC SPEEDY......SHINING MONKEY

1. I purchased the Speedy 35 last week, but I've only used it twice in fear of messing up the virgin vachetta. When I was using it yesterday, it began to rain as well; I almost had a heartattack lol :wtf:!

I know that some oppose using any protectant on the vachetta, but I don't think I could use my unprotected LV without being extremely paranoid.

Anyways, enough rambling..., my questions are:

When you spray Shining Monkey on the new vachetta, will the spray darken the "non-existent patina"?

(I've read that an application of AppleGuard DOES make the vachetta darker)

Will spraying Shining Monkey on vachetta delay the patina process?

How do you evenly spray the Speedy handles? Is there a technique? The handles generally don't stand up, so after spraying it, do you guys plop the handles back down or hold the handles up until it dries?

Does anyone spraying the monogram canvas as well? Recommend it or not?
    (In the process of spraying the piping, I figure I might as well spray the canvas. It is a fabric protectant afterall...right?)

Will the dye on new dark jeans transfer onto the vachetta?
    (I always wash my new jeans before I wear them, but I'm afraid that washing the jeans just once isn't enough for dye transfer. When sitting down, I usually put my purses onto my lap. Has anyone experienced their vachetta turning blue after placing their purses onto their laps?)

What causes that uneven gross black patina? Is it due to hand oils carrying the handles in the same area (or is it just dirty hands)? If I carry the handles on my arm, will the handles display an even vachetta?

Wow, that's a lot of questions haha! Any input is greatly appreciated...thanks guys!:yes:

2. Does anyone know where I can purchase Shining Monkey besides online? Any particular stores?

3. Go to the "frequently asked questions" sticky in the general LV forum. In there you will find ALL the answers to your questions.

4. shining monkey works great to protect the vachetta

5. I purchase my shining monkey in double packs straight from the site. One can does two-three bags depending on how much vachetta I have on them and usually lasts me a month or so depending on my buying frequency. I never tote a bag til it's been sprayed because rain will spot the vachetta if it hasnt been coated with protectant. You need to reapply after a period of time, depending on how often you use the bag.

As for your questions:

When you spray Shining Monkey on the new vachetta, will the spray darken the "non-existent patina"?

(I've read that an application of AppleGuard DOES make the vachetta darker)

I've used applegard with horrifying results. Made my very light patina'd Multicolore Trouville darker and same with my LV shoes that have treated vachetta. It isn't even supposed to be able to turn dark, but Applegard made it turn dark! HATE THAT STUFF! Shining Monkey is a completely different product. It may darken it to begin with, but it will dry relatively fast. Usually it barely darkens mine at all. I keep spraying til it soaks it but I dont think they recommend that. Tho I have had good results with it. lol
    By the time I spray the bag completely over once, where I started is dry so I apply a second dose. It seems to be fool-proof.

Will spraying Shining Monkey on vachetta delay the patina process?

I am not sure that it delays the process necessarily but the patina caused by water and general use can be slowed somewhat with a protectant. I store mine on shelves in a sealed room that is completely dark, super cool and that has no windows and a fan is kept running. I dont keep them in their boxes or dust bags tho. They are displayed so I can choose between them when changing bags. I dont baby my bags when using them, but I dont abuse them either. I dont expose them in the rain, I dont pick them up with wet hands or anything on my hands. I dont put them in direct sunlight, ever.

How do you evenly spray the Speedy handles? Is there a technique? The handles generally don't stand up, so after spraying it, do you guys plop the handles back down or hold the handles up until it dries?

You will find that there is no wrong way to do it, just make sure you cover every surface. It wont harm the canvas at all. I never wipe the canvas of mine clean after spraying, tho I think some recommend it. I do recommend you go outside to do it, or use a ventilated bathroom with the exhaust fan running and close yourself off from the rest of the house because the fumes are enough to give other people in the house a headache if you do it out in the open. Leave the bag in there for a while too. It will smell fumey for the first use or so also. It does dry really fast tho.

Does anyone spraying the monogram canvas as well? Recommend it or not?
    (In the process of spraying the piping, I figure I might as well spray the canvas. It is a fabric protectant afterall...right?)

I spray the canvas on brown mono and also multicolore and any else. I even spray my suhali bags. I also spray my denim LV bags. I take no chances on getting my stuff dirty or soiled. I swear by shining monkey.

Will the dye on new dark jeans transfer onto the vachetta?
    (I always wash my new jeans before I wear them, but I'm afraid that washing the jeans just once isn't enough for dye transfer. When sitting down, I usually put my purses onto my lap. Has anyone experienced their vachetta turning blue after placing their purses onto their laps?)
    I've never had a problem with transfer but I dont wear a lot of new darker denim. I cant give advice there.

What causes that uneven gross black patina? Is it due to hand oils carrying the handles in the same area (or is it just dirty hands)? If I carry the handles on my arm, will the handles display an even vachetta?

Dirty hands. Sweaty hands. Carrying it over your arm while you're lotioned up. Wet hands after using the restroom at public places. Tons of reasons but all happen after long term use and abuse. Even patina is normal and happens from oxidation, simple exposure to air and sun. The dirty black stuff happens when you arent careful long term. It can be cleaned tho if it's just dirty. Baby wipes and magic eraser can be fixes sometimes if it isn't an oil type stain. Patina from oxidation which is the orangey tone the leather turns cannot be reversed tho.

I personally keep a Walmart/Target/any store plastic grocery bag in my purse constantly. I also tote an umbrella in my purse. When it rains, put your purse in the shopping bag being sure to cover the vachetta and carry it under the umbrella. I did this today with my big ol' white MC Rita when I got caught a few times in the downpour while out shopping and it works like a charm to protect!

Good luck and enjoy your bag!

6. mlowran did a great job answering your questions so my comment is only in reference to the jeans. I have not experienced color transfer to the vachetta from simply placing my bag on my lap, BUT I have had slight transfer from my dark blue jeans onto the vachetta on the corner of my new azur speedy from the bag rubbing against my jeans when I walk. I noticed it within an hour of carrying the bag so it is very slight, so slight most people probably don't see it. My SO thought I was paranoid but it is there. I only see it because I'm OCD over keeping my bags pristine. It probably won't happen if your bag has slightly patinaed but mine had no patina at the time so be careful about your jeans. My jeans had been washed at least twice when that happened.