Vachetta leather...Hayden-Hartnett Hudson

1. So I ordered the Hudson in vachetta leather - and I'm scared to death! Is it completely untreated? What should I do to protect it? I have Apple Garde leather cleaner, conditioner and Rain & Stain spray.

I am just worried because I ruined the inside of a Coach wallet when a water bottle spilled and made permanent water marks on the vachetta interior. :cursing: Any advice on care and feeding of the HH vachetta? I'd die if I got caught in the rain and it marked it all up permanently like that. Thanks!!
  2. I have the Hudson satchel and I'm not sure that the vachetta refers to the type of leather. I think it refers to the color. I'm by no means an expert, so hopefully someone else will chime in.
  3. the Hudson Hobo is made from distressed lambskin - vachetta is the color. I'm actually thinking about one myself. I already have a Hudson Triple Strap in Smoke Blue and I love the bag/leather. I did treat it w/Kiwi's Leather Protector before using it, and there were a few spots on the bag that were slightly scuffed and/or scratched when I bought it, but overall it's a great quality bag and I don't have to be THAT careful w/it.

4. I've posted this in a couple of threads-when I bought light colored leather handbags the SA's have sent me to get them sprayed w/a product called Vectra. I had the shoe shop do it for me...because I got spots on my new Miu Miu deerskin hobo and was just sick about it. It cost me $125 to clean and spray it-yikes! So now I take no chances!:yes:
    Here's the product.
  5. You could try the lovinmybags pro treatment. Its a wonderful product-protects against oil, water, and stains and it doesn't change the color at all. :smile:
  6. Vachetta is not a 'color', but a type of leather. I have loved this leather for years; it is one of the few that ages in a natural way, and I'd kill to have a vachetta leather bag that's about 10 years old. I know a few people who have them that old and they are just beautiful. And yes - you need to spray them with something to keep the water off - get the stuff from as Glamourgirlpink suggests; she's used it on her vachetta bag with excellent results. (And I will continue the tradition when I get that very bag - thanks GGP!!!)

From Vachetta leather is used in the trimmings of luggage and handbags, popularized by Louis Vuitton. The leather is left untreated and is therefore susceptible to water and stains. Sunlight will cause the natural leather to darken in shade, called a Patina.

From wikipedia: [SIZE=-1]Vachetta leather is a premium leather which has a buttery soft appearance and ages to a deep patina. It is tanned using vegetable dyes.

That's my lesson for the day!

Enjoy the fireworks, everybody! Happy 4th of July!
  7. Thanks for all your insight guys! You are some smart ladies. :smile: I wonder if I should just use my Rain & Stain spray or if I should get some of the Vectra spray or the lovinmybags spray? Do you think there's a big difference? Has anyone used some of both?
  8. Well, IMO - since Glamourgirlpink has used the lovinmybags pro treatment successfully on a vachetta leather bag, that would be my choice.
  9. Indiaink, I'm aware of what vachetta is. However in the case of the HH Hudson bags, I think they use the term to refer to the color. I have the satchel and it doesn't seem like vachetta to me.
  10. I agree, it's used to refer to the color, not the actual vachetta leather. I ordered this bag and can't wait to get it. I love HH bags and the vachetta color looks like a beautiful neutral color.
  11. Yep, I was wrong. It seems that I am not getting a vachetta leather bag, but merely the color of vachetta - that is, what vachetta is before it ages. Ben Harnett was nice enough to reply to my question regarding same. They do use vachetta leather in their Les Fleurs clutch.

Ah well, such is life. I love the color! This way it will be that color forever! :smile:
  12. My thoughts exactly Indiaink. I love vachetta leather, but the upkeep is too much for me. I can't wait to get this bag though.
  13. Shelley, don't let the worry of keeping it clean keep you from enjoying it - get something to put on it to keep it waterproof and stain-repellent. The lovinmybags stuff just goes on once a month or so -. I plan to use it on all of my HH bags; I about had a heart attack the last time I was out with one of my Inkas and it started raining -:roflmfao:
  14. Well, at least the fact that it's not vachetta means that you don't have to baby it and like you said it will keep that gorgeous color. This bag is actually pretty sturdy. I don't treat my bags and have not had a problem with this one.
  15. Hey im new here..but I just had a quick question...I was thinking about ordering the pro-treatmeant from lovinmybags and I was wondering from the people who have used it how much it would take to cover the HH Ana bag..tia!