Vache Liegee leather

well, the sheen may give some that impression, in photos. I definitely did not get that impression IRL.

You will really have to see and feel it to be certain. It is stiffer than what you you think of as "leather feel," which is more expressed in togo, clemence, and some others....

but, it is more leathery than epsom...that is what I was trying to get across. But you really have to feel and sniff it for yourself to know....its pretty subjective.

I just wanted to chime in and say that I definitely agree that Vache Liegee is not photogenic!! It's much, much prettier in person. I don't find that it has a plasticky feel at all, though I can see why some people might say that because it's super rigid.
That being said, one thing to consider is that on a Vache Liegee Birkin, the side flaps can be a bit hard to open up fully because of the rigidity of the leather. If you like ANY slouch to your Birkin at all, then this is not the leather for you.
I personally think VL Kelly bags are quite beautiful though because I feel that the stiffer leather works very nicely with the structured shape of a Kelly.

Reactions: SupaStar*
I bought my Birkin in VL as I did not want the "slouchy" look. VL gets more beautiful with use, develops the most gorgeous sheen and is durable as Togo. I highly recommend it.

I love VL, I have a gold VL Kelly like Jag and I loved it so much my next bag, a Bolide, was also VL. It's a natural-grained leather very lightweight and structured and it is the most expensive leather. It's not at all like epsom or any other leather by Hermes imho. I believe it was originally used for Hermes luggage as it is so durable but still lightweight (I guess due to the stretching process) If you like structure, a bit of grain/texture, lightweight and and touch of 'sheen' then VL would make a great choice.

Here is my VL Bolide (in noisette)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• bolide1.jpg
    bolide1.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,599
  • bolide3.jpg
    bolide3.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,592
Reactions: Natgalilee
JAG - your bag is BEAUTIFUL!!

This was the bag I was looking at:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300175339202&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=020

I'm looking at the pictures carefully - I like the fact that it keeps it shape & lightweight. I would want
to use it everyday.
Togo was my second choice.
If I had a bag in this leather - would people look at it likes it's Fake because
of the "plastic look" issue?

No, honestly, I was afraid of the exact same thing before i got my kelly! VL does not have a plastic look when in person. rather, just the opposite- it looks like it is made from superior leather. Its just not the soft, smushy leather that some people are used to. But if you prefer a more structured, elegant look, a VL birkin would be perfect for you!

Reactions: lisatw
IMO Vache Liegee has a two tone color quality to it that is gorgeous. I adore the stiffness of this leather. It definitely is not for those who want slouchy looks. And yes, a bag leather best seen in person. I have a SO for a birkin in this leather.

I was told by my stores director that VL is actually pressed leather, so it is a natural grain, but it is pressed, or rolled, so that is is flatter, and a bit stiffer, but still has the beautliful natural graining patterns of togo or clemence...As if you were to take togo or clemence and flatten it.

Epsom, on the other hand, is embossed, meaning the graining you see is applied to the leather with a kind of stamping process. It is a thinner leather than VL, and the embossed pattern is manmade.

RBB, i think your bag is vache naturelle...very pretty herbag, BTW!!!
CB, I just read your post and you have cleared up a mystery for me. I have been confused for years about Ardennes, as Claude told me it was a pressed leather, which I confused with embossed until I read your post. I do believe that VL may be similar to Ardennes. I have not seen LV in real life, but am quiet familiar with Ardennes. Can you confirm if they are similar? TIA

CB, I just read your post and you have cleared up a mystery for me. I have been confused for years about Ardennes, as Claude told me it was a pressed leather, which I confused with embossed until I read your post. I do believe that VL may be similar to Ardennes. I have not seen LV in real life, but am quiet familiar with Ardennes. Can you confirm if they are similar? TIA

I wish I could confirm, but of the two I have only discussed and fondled VL!

I am pretty sure that Ardennes doesn't have the "two tone" effect that Vache Liegee has, unless my memory is worse than I thought! LOL

I have Ardennes in black and in gold. The gold has a slight two tone effect to me, but not as pronounced as in Buffalo. The two tone in the gold Ardennes may just be the effect of age of the bag or my old eyes.

I was told by my stores director that VL is actually pressed leather, so it is a natural grain, but it is pressed, or rolled, so that is is flatter, and a bit stiffer, but still has the beautliful natural graining patterns of togo or clemence...As if you were to take togo or clemence and flatten it.

Epsom, on the other hand, is embossed, meaning the graining you see is applied to the leather with a kind of stamping process. It is a thinner leather than VL, and the embossed pattern is manmade.

^^^this is all correct ^^^....and I do not think it plasticky....people say chamonix is plasticky too, but I don't think so, I love it.....they are simply not supple handed leathers...they are more akin to saddle leather or other equestrian leather........VL is expensive and not for everyone, but if u love the color and u like a rigide feel and rich 2 toned look, VL is beautiful and extremely durable....also less weighty than togo. But again...not supple like togo. For me personally: Epsom, Togo, Box and Chamonix. But if VL is your taste, it's less common and considered very classy.
This is all IMHO except the info above^^^^. That's fact from the store.

IMO Vache Liegee has a two tone color quality to it that is gorgeous. I adore the stiffness of this leather. It definitely is not for those who want slouchy looks. And yes, a bag leather best seen in person. I have a SO for a birkin in this leather.

Boy, this bag is beautiful. May I ask the color, blk? gray? navy? I forgot about the subtle sheen that VL has. Funny, VL is too much look for me, but I do admire it. Really stunning.