Vacation, New Zealand, Cook Islands or Fiji?

1. Has anyone ever been to any of these places? My DH and I love the South Pacific and aren't sure where to get next in that region. We are looking around the April timeframe. TIA!

2. I have been to all three and they are all great but it just depends what you are looking for. New Zealand is not really a beach destination unless you go up to Pahia in the north part of the North Island. Maybe there is something in the South Island but I don't know about it. But for hiking, kayaking, rappeling, etc., it can't be beat. If you do go, I would spend most (if not all) of your time on the South Island. My only question is if it will be cool in April?

As for Fiji and Raratonga, both are great for beach and for diving. If you have been to the South Pacific, I assume these islands aren't much different than some of the other places you have visited. I dove in both places and it was so warm that I didn't even need a wetsuit (unlike NZ where I needed a thick wetsuit). As to the Cook Islands, I have only been to Raratonga but have heard that Aitutaki is gorgeous. I stayed at a rented house and we had motorbikes. You could bike around the whole of the island in less than an hour. Fiji has a lot of options because it is bigger. I visited two islands and one resort on the mainland. I think there are more options there for outdoorsy stuff. On Raratonga, the only activity I recall (besides water stuff) was a cross-island hike.

Hope that helped. You really can't go wrong wherever you go! Safe travels.

3. I've only been to Fiji, and it was lovely. I agree with chigirl, it really depends on what type of holiday you want

4. I spent 3 weeks in New Zealand in 2001 and absolutely LOVED it. We were there towards the end of May heading into June, so it was a bit colder than when you plan to go.

We did all kinds of things there: visiting wineries in the North and South islands, boat tour of Bay of Islands, bus tour of Cape Reinga, whale-watching in Kaikoura, hiking up to the Fox & Franz Josef glaciers, cave tubing in Waitomo, taking a dip in the hot springs at Rotorua... the two things we were not able to do that we really really wanted to was hike around Abel Tasman National Park in the South Island (which has a lovely beach, I understand) and see Milford Sound -- it was raining like heck when we got to Queenstown and our tour was cancelled... and then it snowed on the day we were flying out, so we didn't get to at least ski (argh).

If you do go to NZ, I will echo chigirl: spend most of your time in the South Island. There are things that you should definitely see in the North Island, but the scenery is so unbelievably gorgeous in the South, it'll leave you speechless...