URGH AGAIN -- ANOTHER police dog left to die in car

1. Police Dog Left In Car Dies

[​IMG]

POSTED: 6:07 am EDT September 7, 2007
    UPDATED: 6:33 am EDT September 7, 2007

ACWORTH, Ga. -- Authorities are investigating the death of a K-9 unit police dog who apparently died of heat stroke after being left inside a patrol car.

The dog, named Marco, died Monday after its handler got distracted while switching electronic equipment from one patrol car to another, Acworth Police spokesman Capt. Wayne Dennard said.

The officer, a 13-year veteran of the department, was called inside the police station and returned to the patrol car later to find the dog dead. Dennard said he did not know how long the dog was in the car.

Police did not release the name of the officer, a lieutenant who had worked with one other dog in his 10 years as a dog handler.

Marco was a 6-year-old Belgian Malinois. The officer and Marco worked together for about five years. The dog was trained to detect narcotics and track missing people.

The officer has been placed on paid leave while police investigate the death.

"He is grieving," Dennard said.

The officer had not been charged and the investigation will determine what happened, Dennard said.

Earlier this week, Chandler, Ariz., police Sgt. Tom Lovejoy was arrested on a misdemeanor charge of animal cruelty in the August death of a police dog who was left in his patrol car for more than 12 hours. An investigation found that the dog -- a 5-year-old Belgian Malinois named Bandit -- was in Lovejoy's patrol car from about 9 a.m. to shortly after 10 p.m. on Aug. 11. During that time, the investigation found, the officer ran errands, napped and ate out with his wife.

2. I'm sorry but if a policeman is STUPID and CARELESS enough to leave a dog in the car, imagine how he handles his job.

3. OMG. Enough is enough!!!

Its not rocket science, people!!!!

Hot temp+living creature+trapped in vehicle= disaster!!!!!

WHY are people doing this?!?!?!?!?!?!? ESPECIALLY police officers?!

I hope this guy gets punished to the fullest extent of the law!

4. Oh no!! How sad. :sad:

5. [​IMG]

this is ridiculous,,,how sad!!!!!!!!!!
    look how cute he was!!!!!!!!!!!:heart:
    :crybaby:

6. it's so sad... That the poor dog should die from the carelessness, or ignorance, or stupidity of it's handler...the person he trusted.

That police officer should not be allowed to continue working with a k-9 unit or at all.

7. Really!! What was he thinking?!?!?! These are trained officials and these dogs like family to them...unforgivable.

8. Another stupid bastard to rot in hell.

Why would you leave the dog in the car.
    Its not a jacket or an empty starbucks cup.

I dont care how much he is grieving. He can grieve in jail.

9. It happens allllllll the time to KIDS here in Vegas. I just dont understand.

10. Nooooo!! That's so sad! I hate it when I see cars with dogs in it and there's not even a window open... We ALWAYS take our dog with us.

11. To KIDS?! :wtf:

12. this is unbeliavable.....

13. i read that yesterday and i was shocked.

it seems like such COMMON SENSE to not do that. if YOU won't sit the car without air conditioning, why on earth makes you think that a ANIMAL can somehow handle it?! unreal.

14. What the..how can someone be so stupid!

15. Makes me so angry. It's murder!