URGENT: Help Me Pick My First Designer Handbag!

What about something by Bottega Veneta or Hermes? Check out those subforums... those will DEFINITELY look designer, but not be obvious. There's also the more economic choice of Louis Vuitton EPI leather or Suhali leather pieces...

With that budget please go for quality, good stiching and soft leather!

Chanel, Bottega V and Hermes are all, very good choices, the most important is that you LOVE the bag and can picture yourself wearing it for years.

Or you could go for up-and-comming designers that will be well known in a few year (and then you can make money on your bag if you deside to sell it :smile:

If this is to be your first designer bag I do have a suggestion, use your $3000 more wisely than on just one bag.

It can take a couple of months or more to truly define the designer, style and shape of bag that makes you happy. Most of us have bought and sold a few dozen bags getting to that point. There are so many things to consider; shoulder bag, hand carry, what kind of leather, tassels or no, suede interiors, frame bags, logos or no, status, history of the brand, resell value, longevity of the brand, trendy or classic, upkeep and color.

Don't plunge into the pool until you know you can swim and will love the water. Take the time to find the bag or bags that make your heart sing.

My $3000 went for these bags, collectively. All were bought on either the MP here or on Ebay after authenticity checks. See what slightly over $3000 can buy if you take your time:

Fendi Spy in Cognac, Marc Jacobs Stam in Icy Taupe, Prada Cervo Satchel in Natural, Balenciaga Ink Box

Attachments

• SpyCognacCattyCorner.jpg
    SpyCognacCattyCorner.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 40
  • StamFront.jpg
    StamFront.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 35
  • PradaCervoFrontCockeyed.jpg
    PradaCervoFrontCockeyed.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 40
  • InkFront.jpg
    InkFront.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 37
I don't see anything wrong with spending $3000 on one GOOD, quality bag that you can carry around for a very long time. That is why I recommended Bottega. There are no logoes, they aren't excessively trendy bags, and they are very well made. Unlike Chanel, you rarely if ever hear of quality issues with Bottega. I think Chloe and some other bags mentioned are just too trendy for what it sounds like the OP wants.

If my DH said get a bag, no limit, I would be slightly sensible and order LV Suhali Lockit so fast!

Try to decide size and carry style before shopping. Remember weight, I can handle a two pound bag - many designer bags are more than that. So many beautiful bags in every style, good to cut it down a bit before shopping. Think what the bag will look like with wear, would you like/dislike the appearance?

Have fun shopping.

WoW!!

Thank you for all of the responses...

I have seen so many fabulous handbags I don't know what to do! I've narrowed it down to Chanel but the ones I like are terribly tough to get... Is everything Chanel ALWAYS sold out?! My oh my!!

A sweet lady at Neiman in Chicago is trying to locate a few of my favs but in the meantime I did pick up a Super Cute LAMB handbag that I fell in love with instantly! I took pictures and figured out how to watermark them (Thanks Swanky)... now I need to figure out how to get them in this thread...

Cheers!

If this is to be your first designer bag I do have a suggestion, use your $3000 more wisely than on just one bag.

It can take a couple of months or more to truly define the designer, style and shape of bag that makes you happy. Most of us have bought and sold a few dozen bags getting to that point. There are so many things to consider; shoulder bag, hand carry, what kind of leather, tassels or no, suede interiors, frame bags, logos or no, status, history of the brand, resell value, longevity of the brand, trendy or classic, upkeep and color.

Don't plunge into the pool until you know you can swim and will love the water. Take the time to find the bag or bags that make your heart sing.

My $3000 went for these bags, collectively. All were bought on either the MP here or on Ebay after authenticity checks. See what slightly over $3000 can buy if you take your time:

Fendi Spy in Cognac, Marc Jacobs Stam in Icy Taupe, Prada Cervo Satchel in Natural, Balenciaga Ink Box
Great advice! Thanks!