Unsure of bringing bags around friend...

1. OK... I'm having a dilemma. This designer bag thing is kind of new to me... it's only been over the past few months that I have gone crazy and bought lots of stuff. Well, next month I'm going to visit a friend who doesn't make much money and is always struggling to get by... and I'm feeling like I probably shouldn't bring any of my new bags with me. I feel self conscious about the fact that I've spent so much on a purse when she can barely make ends meet (I should point out that when I visit her, I treat for everything)

What would you do? Would you bring your nice bags or just carry a cheap bag for the weekend?
  2. this is a pretty sensitive issue that i'm sure a lot of us go through as well. i personally, to avoid any conflict or feelings of awkwardness, would carry a non-LV bag. by carrying a non-LV bag, i think it would make you feel less self conscious and to give you a chance to be more at ease during the time you spend with her instead of worrying in the back of your mind what she is thinking about. granted, she may not be thinking about your bag at all but it all depends on how you feel about carrying it in front of her. good luck to you.
  3. I know exactly how you feel! If you are going to feel self-conscious about it, it is not worth bringing the bag, plain and simple. You should carry it if you feel comfortable. You're better off just having a nice time with her and not worrying about that.
  4. I wouldn't bring your good bags either just to be on the safe side. That's so nice of you to treat your friend like that!!! :smile:
  5. I would carry my LV bags. What exactly makes you feel like you shouldn't carry the bag? Because you feel it would be showing off or that the money you spent on the bag should be given to her? Surely she doesn't think that you should cover her bills (if she does then she isn't a friend) and as long as you don't flaunt the bag in her face then you aren't gloating. You are probably the only one who would feel weird. If she is REALLY a friend then she will be happy you have such lovely bags. Friends should never be jealous or judgemental and you should always be able to be yourself in front of your friends and that means being able to wear the bags and clothes you love.

I realize I am in the minority but I don't believe in censoring who you are to be friends with someone.
  6. I agree with everyone else dont bring an LV youll feel less self-conscious and youll be more natural!
  7. OO! That's tough! But I'd probably bring a non-LV bag. It's sweet of you to to treat her to things also!! :p
  8. hmm i would want to carry my LV bag because i spent so much money on it i have to put it to good use. BUT if you are so worried about her feelings, just bring a non-designer bag to avoid any doubts.
  9. I agree with the others. I would NOT bring any designer item with me...
  10. THats nice of you to be sensitive. You probalby can bring designer bag but not LV monogram bags or antyhing that stands out.
  11. I agree. Your friend's feelings are more important than the fun you'll miss out on by not carrying a designer bag for a few days.
  12. I agree that any non-logo or non-monogramed bag is probably an acceptable choice. Few people are able to identify bags that don't scream what brand they are, and your friend likely wouldn't notice them.

I think you are a good friend to be concerned about her feelings. Ideally a friend is never judgemental or jealous, but human nature is sometimes hard to overcome, even with friends. When you are barely making it, it is hard to see things beyond your reach paraded in front of you, even if you are happy for the person's success.
  13. Since you just started carrying designer bags a few months ago, it doesn't seem like it would be much of a hardship to do without for a weekend. It is nice of you to think of your friend. It is true that a good friend wouldn't hold it against you, but seeing your bags may make her feel down about her situation. That would not be your fault, of course, but it is something to consider.
  14. I'd just bring a cute canvas tote bag. Something cute, casual and understated.
  15. How nice and considerate of you to think of her feelings!

Since you are new to the designer handbag trend, I agree with Katheryn, that doing without them (it) for a weekend won't hurt. She is very lucky to have a friend like you that treats her when she is going through a tough financial situation. Just enjoy your weekend with her in a simple, laid-back way.