Under 21 License problems? (while being 21)

1. I still have my license as being under 21-- but it's just vertical and not horizontal and it states RIGHT above my picture that I'm under 21 until my birthday back in 2006. I'm going to be 22 in another 3 months. I've NEVER had a problem with this before! I have been EVERYWHERE even Vegas! I've had people do the math but... never like this.
    I was 18 when I got my license and they last 5 years. From what I've been told it's $35+ to get it renewed, but one of my girlfriends just got her ID (not license) for $15. I figured since I've NEVER had a problem with it before then I should just not bother with it until it actually expires, you know?

Personally, I don't think I look like a mirror image in my license, but I mean, I have been everywhere! haha. Never a problem.

I more than anything want to know if it's really $35+ for if I don't have an expired license but want to get a new one. I'm in MA, so I have no idea though. I won't have time until my semester ends -anyway- but still.

Just curious if anyone else carries their under 21 license? I mean, it says right there "Under 21 Until ----birthdate, 2006 (and under)" and I've never had a problem with it. But the issue is I don't want to be out and then be either kicked out or not be able to have drinks when it's the whole point of whatever the trip is you know? bleh. This is more out of curiosity than anything haha.

edit- I just realized I never actually came out and said-- I had a problem with that tonight! But I did get my drinks-- eventually. The first time it's ever been a problem! I suppose it had to happen at some point. I guess.

2. Why don't you read up on the MA DMV website or call the DMV on Monday? I got my license changed well after my 21st birthday and never had any issues. As long as they can read the date, there isn't really a problem. But you should really go get your licensed renewed. Then you won't even be worrying about whether or not it's a problem. Cough up the money, it's well worth it.

3. It says its $40 but I was hoping it was wrong, haha. I will get it in the summer because I'm not around from school during the day but still! Now I am going to worry, it is so in my nature haha. But it should probably be fine, I just don't want to have it spoil the night like oh, nope you can't get any drinks here, or nope you can't be in here, this is 21+. But yeah the probability of it being fine is more than likely on my side after all his time. Just curious though if anyone else actually has a problem with it. It's RIGHT there on the license that I'm 21 after that date in 2006 =\ And the guy was serious, he's like I've never seen an under 21 license before.

4. In Michigan your license expires on your 21st birthday, so you have to go and get a new one. They even send you a reminder about a month or so before your birthday.

If I were you I'd just go get it changed. May as well update your photo and not have to worry about it.

5. Most states your license expires 30 days after the expiration date, which is your 21st. birthday. So, you will most likely be turned away if anyone is strict. In KY if your license is still vertical, you are not permitted anywhere that is 21 or older. You MUST get it changed here.

6. i am 21 but my license doesnt expire til next year so i wont get a new one until then...i dont have any problems with it though.

7. As long as your license is valid you shouldn't have any issues. If you do, ask to speak to the mgr.

8. just understand a drinking establishment will err on the side of caution due to the heavy fines and consequences of serving an underage client or a fake id.

have a little patience with them.

9. I've been debating about changing my license. I have lost so much weight that people don't believe that the person in the license pic is me! I've had this happen a couple of times now. However, my license doesn't expire until 2012. It seems like a pain in the butt, frankly.

10. I haven't changed my ID since i was 16 (I am 23 now) because Arizona Driver's licencses don't expire until you turn 65. I don't look like my license but I've never had a problem as long as they look at the date.

11. 65??? WOW! I know this isn't 21, but I haven't had mine changed after I turned 18 and there have not been any problems

12. I would definitely update my ID if I were you, cause even though I might not have had a problem with it, but you know, I would've rather avoid the hassle altogether trying to explain how to do simple math to a bouncer while they're already having a problem pronouncing my last name.

13. why not have it changed? I change mine everytime I change my hair color because it's not worth the hassle and it's on $10.

14. every state is different - i turned 21 in december, and mine still has the red border that says 'under 21' around the picture - i've never had a problem, and i've been in and out of many bars. mine doesn't expire for almost 2 years from now, and i probably won't get a new one until then. this is a college town, though, and Georgia doesn't require you to change your license at 21, so most people still have their old licenses. GA requires you to change yours at 18 (because of different traffic laws in metro Atlanta for drivers under 18 - you have different restrictions on your license, which is Class D-Restricted instead of regular Class D), and our licenses expire after 5 years, hence i don't need a new one until i'm 23.

i've never been denied a drink any place. as long as your ID is still valid and your birth date is accurate, it shouldn't matter of you've changed it or not.

15. I've bounced/worked the door before, and we're already aware of the specifc dates which determine if you're over 21 or 18. So it's not like we're there counting on our fingers. Ya know? I've seen numerous "under 21" ID's where the person was over 21. It's really not a big deal. Unless the door guy wants to be a complete ass, you should be able to get in.