UK Floods ~ Stay safe folks

SollyTia

Feb 2, 2007
Thoughts and prayers are with all affected. Looks as though the worse is yet to come.

Forecasters have extended flood warnings across the UK ahead of torrential rain and gale force winds expected over the next 24 hours.
The Met Office said the heaviest downpours would arrive on Monday morning as a storm band sweeps over England and Wales, accompanied by strong to gale force winds.
The news does not bode well for tennis fans keenly awaiting the first day of Wimbledon, where stars such as Tim Henman, Andy Roddick, Roger Federer and Justine Henin are expected.
And with no roof on centre court this year, play is likely to be stop-start for most of the day.

The entire month's average rainfall - more than two inches - is predicted from Yorkshire to north east Wales, with up to four inches in some areas.
The exceptional amount of rain is likely to cause more widespread disruption and flooding than in recent days, especially in areas that are already saturated, the Met Office warned.

The downpours have the potential to cause trouble for travellers, and difficult conditions for revellers as they prepare to depart the Glastonbury festival.
The event has been a complete washout, as heavy rain throughout the three-day festival turned Worthy farm into a giant quagmire.

The Environment Agency has two flood watches in place - the River Leam between Marton and Leamington Spa in Warwickshire and River Wreake from Frisby to Syston.
Marco Petagna, forecaster for MeteoGroup UK, the weather division of the Press Association, said parts of England had received heavy showers on Sunday, with nearly half and inch falling in one hour in Hereford. He said the soaking the country has received in the past week is unusual for June, as are the temperatures - which dropped to 12 to 18C across the country.

I know, its really cold here for some reason, the weekend just gone, the rain was terrible!! People were saying its only water!! Its not if people's houses are flooded! I hope everyone stays safe.

arg and I am flying in tomorrow - hope there won't be any delays... at least I took the safe option and decided to go two days before my exam. hope nothing bad will happen to anyone, take care of yourselves!

I was at Wimbledon today and it was wet, cold and miserable for the early part but then cleared up. My mother-in-law in the North East of England is currently on flood watch however, and I think in London we have had a lucky escape. Even so, it is whipping up a storm outside my window now - so much for that hot, hot, hot summer we were promised. More importantly, I hope no one else suffers anything more than disappointment at the temperature if more rough weather occurs.

miss sooky. im in the north east and even though i live on a big hill my street is like a river and you cant see the pavements. its really bad. the rain is stopping though.

iv just put the news on and seen sheffield. those poor people that are stuck in offices are being evacuated by the RAF.

You would think that we would be worst hit down here on the sea but we're normally quite lucky down here because we are protected by the South Downs Hills.

My heart goes out to all those who have been affected by the floods!

We're OK in our house as we're at the top of a hill, but our village is flooded and we're stranded. My brother's house is under 6 inches of water - his kitchen is ruined, the ground floor is devastated. His garage is flooded - car and motorbike destroyed. My parents were due to complete the sale of their house this Friday - not happening now as it's flooded (fortunately my parents have moved away but we can't get to the house to find out what the damage is).

My bro was lucky as he was off work today - but he's a fireman so he'll be back on shift tomorrow helping other people even though his own house is destroyed.

I'm just thankful that everyone is safe. I was evacuated from work at lunch time and it took me 3 hours to get home as everywhere was flooded, but I'm glad they let us go when they did as the University where I work is badly affected and the roads around it are closed.

I'm not a religious person, but praying for my family tonight. A man has already lost his life where we live.

Keep safe everyone.