Uggg! Purse Party

1. Someone at work is passing around flyers trying to get people to come to her "purse party." I overheard some of my co-workers talking about they were so excited to go and that they would have pay for a real designer purse now that thye know about purse parties.

2. are you going to say anything about it to her?

3. Are you talking about a party that sells knock offs?

4. Yes, it's one of those parties where they sell fakes. I didn't say anything to her about it other than that I wasn't interested in going.

5. I've heard about these parties. I don't think most people realize how much damage they're inflicting by buying these fakes.

6. Is it necessary to do anything other than say you aren't interested? If it were a friend I would tell them straight out that I am not about to help them do something illegal, but since it is a co-worker I am not sure what else you can do without harming your working relationship.

7. that article was interesting :s

8. If you get invited you could say something like, 'thanks for the invite, but I think I'll pass. I know somebody (whether you do or don't) who got arrested for having one. Did you know its illegal?'

And no lie, in my before I moved there was an article on the front page of my hometown paper about a purse party in a private citizens home that was raided by the FBI. The hostess got arrested as did the people who had knowingly bought the fake bags. The paper stated that if the merchandise had been authentic it would have been valued at upwards of $600,000!

9. "Not everyone can afford a freaking $1,000 purse,"

For some reason this quote from the article annoyed me a bit. While I understand that not everyone can afford a purse that costs that much, I don't think there is any need to be so bitter about it. And there is certainly no need to get involved in something that is ilegal and potentially harmful to the economy. And if you can't afford that, then buy what you can afford!

Also, I noticed that one justification that seemed to be underlying the whole discussion was the friendship and fun that these parties bring about. I have a friend who threw a purse party and I was invited. I had no desire to go because I don't want to be involved in that. I can think of legal ways in which to get together with my friends.

On another note, a really nice man that I work with offered to buy me some purses from Canal Street when he takes his daughter shopping in NY next weekend. He knows I like purses so he really thought he was doing me a favor. It took every ounce of strength I have to hide the horrified look that was threatening to form on my face.

10. Maybe you should have offered up the fact that the bags sold there are fake so that he doesn't buy one for his daughter. Maybe something like "Thank you for the offer, I really appreciate it, but from what I've heard, they're not authentic bags that were probably obtained illegally. I wouldn't want to put you in a position that might get you into trouble."

11. If you can't afford a $1000 purse, then don't buy it. If you can't afford a $65,000 car, then don't buy it. Don't buy a fake. Buy something that you can afford. They just shut down a fake purse store near me that held purse parties. Don't know the outcome yet, but I'm sure the people who owned the store can't be found at the moment.

12. Interesting article.

"Some even proudly consider their 'replicas' or 'designer-inspired' bags an indicator of thriftiness and good fashion sense." :wtf:

13. A friend of mine brought over huge tubs of her fake designer bags to sell at my garage sale. (Yes, she's one of those 'purse party' people) I despise fake bags, but really didn't care if she wanted to sell them in my garage sale...after all, that's really where they belong. But let me tell you, she had her table set up, and literally caused a traffic jam on my street! I couldn't believe how many people were buying those things. People stopped in the middle of the road to buy them, and most bought 3 or 4 at a time! Her prices were pretty steep, I thought, but she sold almost ALL of them...except for a few ugly Kate Spades. I couldn't believe it! Even weeks afterward, I had people coming to my door and asking if I had any more bags to sell!
    Un-freakin-believable! She offered me a few 'Louis Vuittons' as a gift, but I politley declined:yucky:

14. Oh he knows they are fake. He is one of those people who thinks he is really making a good deal and being a real negotiator by buying fake bags. I was mainly appalled that he would really think that I would want a fake bag.